Search for content in message boards

Butler DNA

Posted: 23 May 2013 12:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Butler
Does anyone with an association to the Butlers of Wexford have a Y DNA test which we could compare?

Re: Butler DNA

Posted: 24 May 2013 12:58PM GMT
There ae 96 Butler's in the current online telephone book.
I would look for a Butler family webpage. I have no luck with getting anyone in Ireland to participate in a DNA project. One thing we found interesting, persons with the same name, living in the same community both in Ireland and Canada did not match.

Annette Code

Posted: 24 May 2013 1:48PM GMT
Annette

I am looking for a specific line of the Butlers one with a I2B1C (I2a2a2a) haplogroup this is currently a rare group in Ireland due to the P78 polymorphism and the low number of DNA tests carried out. I already have a match with one person from this line but I have now traced this line down to Wexford in the 1873s in a place called Maudlintown.

In all the DNA forums I belong to there is only one other Butler who has the I2B1C (I2a2a2a) haplogroup and their exact genealogy is still unresearched

The surname can often be misleading as surnames are, in DNA terms a recent occurance, when people wanted a surname they often took the name of their Lord or their occupation.

DNA some times offers more qustions than it does answers

Regards

Peter

Posted: 25 May 2013 2:36AM GMT
Didn't Henry the VII (1491-1547) come up with the idea of surnames. US Slaves went by the name of their owners not usually normal in Ireland or England. Unless it is Garrison son of Gary or Henry the Miller becoming Henry Miller.

The Parish of Maudlintown was in the Poor Law Union of Wexford, whereas the Townland's of Maulintown were in the Parish of Kilcavan in the Poor Law Union of New Ross.

Of the Butler's in Wexford 39 are listed for Wexford
and 14 in the New Ross area.

You could try writing to the Editor of a local paper or even the Irish Times regarding the subject and your search for DNA. I sent 25 letters to individuals in the telephone book for the area I was looking for and received no answers.
The cost of at least $99.00 can be a detriment and I've offered to pay and still get no results.

Annette

Posted: 27 May 2013 6:05PM GMT
Annette

People are often disappointed with DNA as they expect the DNA results to provide all the answers as you know it often only provides more questions. My search in Wexford comes as a result of a DNA match, I have made some progress, time and a couple of marriage certificates will define the success of the Wexford Butlers line of research I was quite surprised by the number of Butlers in Wexford.

Peter

Posted: 27 May 2013 7:37PM GMT
You should look in Kilkenny where Butler's Chocolates come from and they had a open walled 'castle', the horses stables are absolutely beautiful and are now a shopping mall.
I have pictures but have changed computers and haven't figured out where they are. Annette, Canada.

Posted: 27 May 2013 7:53PM GMT
I have been to Kilkenny and to "Butler Castle" my grandfather was born in Laois, near Durrow, he moved to Dulin around 1900.

There are lots of Butlers in Kilkenny but not many with DNA tests unfortunatly.

Finding a link with Butler's Chocolates would be a very good find I could certainly help them with quality control sampling.

Peter
per page

Find a board about a specific topic