Search for content in message boards

von Tunzelmann Family

von Tunzelmann Family

Vanessa (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2005 2:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: von Tunzelmann
Hi Anna,

My husband is also a descendant of the von Tunzelmann's from Queenstown. His Great Grandmother was Constance Lilly von Tunzelmann who married William Stafford Northcoat. They lived in the Glenorchy area. There has been a family tree done by somebody who lives up north but I don't have the name of them. From what my mother-in-law has told me. Apparently Nicholas von Tunzelmann's family was in the Tzar's white army and at the time of the russian revolution he was exiled from Russia and escaped to England and then onto NZ. There is more to the story etc but just can't remember it at the moment. I do have photos somewhere here of Constance Lilly, Nicholas Paul Balthasar Tunzelmann von Alderflug (Von Tunzelmann), and Gertrude Rose Von Tunzelman
nee Gilbert d 21/4/1918. I would be interested to hear of any info you have on this family

Kind Regards

Vanessa

Re: von Tunzelmann Family

Eugenie (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2005 12:36PM GMT
Surnames: von Tunzelmann
My name is Eugenie von Tunzelmann and your story is correct - my father is from New Zealand. After the exile the family lived in Wimbledon (South London) and then moved to New Zealand. I would be very interested in those photos!

My sister, who is a historian, once did a family tree based on one compiled by Elise von Tunzelmann-Pickett. Perhaps that is who you are thinking of.

Posted: 6 Jan 2006 4:51AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2006 5:00AM GMT
My father Frank von Tunzelmann died a few years back leaving me the last in his line which comes from the line from prussia traised back as far as 1791 whom seems to be the same line as you are talking about. My sister Irene from Auckland has drawn up a family tree from then to now. If you want to communicate with me be free to do so

Posted: 6 Jan 2006 5:15AM GMT
I am Richard J Tunzelman who my late father was Frank von Tunzelmann. I have a family tree that my sister Irene compiled.I was born in Gisborne NZ in 1951. I am interested in filling in a few gaps. Be free to write to me

Posted: 3 Feb 2006 9:10PM GMT
Hi, I also have some von Tunzelmann's in my family, although not in my direct line. Specifically an Edward W. who was born in London in ~1861. At the time of the 1871 census he was living in Guernsey with his mother, who was Russian and a Doctors wife. He married in 1891 Maud Bateman who was my great-great grandmothers sister. If this is a link then a) I'd be interested to here from you and b) what I have so far is here;
http://www.tla-net.demon.co.uk/family/254.htm

Wayne Ross (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2006 10:27AM GMT
Hi Vanessa
As far as I know Nicolas Von Tunzelmann was my Great Great Grandfather.
My grandfather John Ross of Kincumber, NSW, Australia went to Queenstown in the late 70's chasing his ancestry. Apparently Nicholas was his Grandfather.
I have copies of transcribed letters by Nicholas - his petition for an aged pension, a potted life story that runs to 5 A4 pages written about 1899 and "Our Family History" by Elsie Von Tunzelmann-Pickett written in 1889 recounting her childhood days back to 1830s and claiming a direct family line on the 'distaff side' to King Jurri The Good of the island of Oesel.
On the "spear side" the line goes back to the Teutonic Knighthood and "our Coat Of Arms hangs still in the Hall of Teutonic Knights, Riga, where they are still registered".
I'd love to see photos of the Von Tunzelmanns and hear any other info you might have.
Regards
Wayne

Oliver Smith (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2006 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: von tunzelman
Hi Vanessa
I have finally got round to putting all our family tree data onto software.My mother was a von tunzelman and we live in the wairarapa.
I have the family tree prior to Elise,Nicholas and Johns arrival in NZ and their marriage dates but nothing on Elise and Nicholas subsequent children and descendants.I have all Johns children(10) and each of their offspring for one/two more generations but all the subsequent ones need updating(probably from 1955 onwards).
Can you help
Cheers
Oliver Smith

Nick von Tunzelmann (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2006 4:03PM GMT
The recently published book by Douglas & Anne Coombs, 'Strangers and Pilgrims: the von Tunzelmann saga', has the full family tree from 1575 to the eaqrly 20th century. No doubt they would be interetsed to hear of any gaps etc.
Nick von Tunzelmann

Posted: 11 Nov 2006 1:03AM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2006 2:23AM GMT
Hello by chance I came across this post and wondered if anyone new a Marie Von Tunzelmann, who was born Marie Smith in NZ?
I am searching for her. If I am barking up the wrong tree I do apologise.
Regards
Helen

Posted: 9 Jan 2007 3:53AM GMT
Surnames: Von Tunzelmann
If you want to see some more info about Douglas & Anne's book - I have put some info on the Familyreunion web site at http://www.familyreunion.org.nz/douglasbook.htm And if you are in NZ or Australia - why not come along to the reunion in Early March?
Best wishes - John Saxon
In fine very dry summertime Canberra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions