Search for content in message boards

Chew Family - Blackburn

Chew Family - Blackburn

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 7:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chew
Geoff,

Thank you for your note.

My brother, Stephen Morrissey, is the author of the Morrissey Family History website. He researched the Morrisseys extensively. I have been trying to track down my mother's English relatives. Most of them are in Canada, but not all.

I have not looked into Obadiah Chew's aunts and uncles, at least,not yet.

Do you know anything about the descendants of the Obadiah Chew who died in July of 1914?

We know that there was a son named (from memory) Thomas Chew and that Obadiah's wife was Annie Brooks. I would like to find Obadiah's children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

By way of example, I have located the families of most of Obadiah Chew's brothers and sisters. My grandmother was his sister.

In conclusion, I thank you for kindly replying to my question and hope that you might have additional information.

With every good wish,

John Morrissey
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PS: Have found the families of Sarah Jane, Alice, Elizabeth, Bertha, Ruth and Harry Chew. Obadiah is the "missing link"!

Re: Chew Family - Blackburn

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 8:04PM GMT
I don't think Obadiah and Annie Brooks had more than the single child, Thomas, born c.1902. At the 1911 census, Obadiah reports that they had only had 1 child, and no child is recorded with surname Chew and mother's maiden name Brooks between Sept 1911 and Obadiah's death in 1914.
I also don't know whether Thomas ever married; might he be the Thomas, though, who married Lily Bamber/Salisbury in Blackburn in 1920? Have not (yet) followed up the later fortunes of that couple.
Besides this Obadiah Chew, there was another Obadiah Chew from Blackburn by the way, born about 1794, died 1846; he married an Ann Robinson in Blackburn in 1817. In view of the name, I wonder whether he was related to the Henry Chew who was "your" Obadiah's grandfather.
Geoff

Chew Family - Blackburn

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 11:55PM GMT
Geoff,

As to the earlier Obadiah Chew, I have seen a history of Blackburn. That book identifies an "Obadiah Chew" whose profession was "plasterer" early in the 19th century. Given the somewhat unusual name, my guess is there is a relationship.

Returning to the Obadiah Chew, deceased in 1914, he was a plumber. My suspicion is that Thomas was his only son. I have reviewed the Lancashire BMD records and have seen the surname Bamber. I may have seen Thomas' death certificate too. These are investigations yet for me to pursue.

Are you,by any chance, directly related to Obadiah Chew or his son,Thomas?

John

Re: Chew Family - Blackburn

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 8:47AM GMT
Is the history of Blackburn you’re referring to William Alexander Abram, _A History of Blackburn, Town and Parish_ (Blackburn, 1877)? That has a useful account of the Chew family in Blackburn, which seems very accurate where I’ve been able to verify the details. It’s online at
http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofblackbu00abrauoft#pag... .

I agree that the name Obadiah might suggest a family relationship, and that this is worth pursuing, but it might be purely coincidental. In the case of the earlier Obadiah, at least, as an Old Testament Biblical name, it must reflect the fact that the family were nonconformists. Several of that Obadiah’s children are recorded in the registers of the Particular Baptists in Blackburn. And the name Chew has its main concentration in the Blackburn area. (By the way, the wife of the plasterer Obadiah Chew is recorded as Ann Wardley, for reasons I don’t understand, in one of the member-submitted entries in the IGI. The extracted, and therefore probably more reliable, entry for birth of one of the children in the IGI gives Ann Robinson as her maiden name.)

No, I have no personal relationship that I know of with any of the Blackburn Chews: my own Chew family was from Northamptonshire.

Geoff

Chew Family - Blackburn

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 3:05PM GMT
Geoff,

The book about Blackburn, to which I was referring, was dated about 1900. My brother,Stephen, has it.

As to religion, my grandparents were married in Blackburn in about 1906 at a Baptist Tabernacle. This was,I think, a Particular Baptists congregation.

Thank you for all of your help. My next task will be to track down the family of Obadiah Chew.

All the best,

John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic