Search for content in message boards

Looking for lost family...

Looking for lost family...

Posted: 25 Aug 2010 12:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
My name is Jennifer Starks. I grew up in SE Minnesota. My father's name is David Starks, his mother's maiden name was Helen Starks. She has 2 sisters; Irene and Betty and a brother; Charles.
I've only met my grandma's sisters' families. My great grandparents were gone before I was born. I would like to meet more people that are related to me. Also, I would like to know "where" I come from; my heritage.
Thank you for any help in advance!
Posted: 6 Nov 2010 3:06PM GMT
Jennifer, you might start by finding out where your grandparents were when they died, checking Social Security Death Index (online), and getting their obituaries and death certificates. Then you could check FamilySearch.org and Pilot.FamilySearch.org for censuses and other information. FSBeta is good, too, but some of that is contributed, undocumented information.

Google "1930 census" to get some information from other censuses. If you hold your cursor over the 1860 & 1910 census years without clicking, you can usually see names and ages of those in the household.

If you get back far enough so that somebody has contributed the information, you might find some information if you click Family Trees in the strip at the top of the RootsWeb page. Then click Advanced Search on the next page and fill in information for your family.

Whenever you post, be sure to include as specifically as possible who, what, when, where. Many records are held at the county level, so you should indicate the county where people lived.

Contact local historical and genealogical societies where you live and ask for help in filling out family group sheets and ancestral/pedigree charts.

Post whatever information you find about the deceased members of your family.

Re: Looking for lost family...

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 4:05PM GMT
ARE YOU AFRICAN AMERICAN?

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 7:44PM GMT
No i'm not but I've met a few ppl that are with the same last name that assumed I was married to an african american man to get this last name.

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 6:09PM GMT
jennifer my line of Starks are also white , which is difficult to find can you contact me via email? mine is tinker264@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions