Search for content in message boards

Thomas Vance, John C. Vance

Thomas Vance, John C. Vance

Posted: 1 Sep 2000 9:33PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2002 3:45AM GMT
Searching for information on Thomas Vance, b. 1820 in Ohio, marr. to Mary A. Armstrong. Lived in Gallia County, Ohio. Children were George,1846, --Lewis 1853, Matillda, 1856-- John, 1861-- James, 1864--Phillip, 1866-- and Martellas, unknown.

john vance

j.vance (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2000 10:22PM GMT
do you know if this john vance b . 1861 died in 1881? erie,pa?
Posted: 5 Nov 2000 7:55PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2002 3:45AM GMT
Sorry..this John Vance died in 1932 near Plain City, Ohio

Re: Thomas Vance, John C. Vance

Posted: 1 Jul 2002 10:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vance
Hi, Sandy;
I'm not sure how, yet, how or if all the Thomas Vances in Gallia Co., OH are related; but, as I was researching my Thomas (b. 1790), I found yours on the 1850 census of Cheshire Twp., Gallia, Co.:

Thomas Vance 30
Mary A. 24
George M. 4
Marcellus (sp?) 2

I thought you would be interested in Marcellus' age. By the way, Marcellus' name is hard to read on the census, but it does not look like 'Martellas'. I know, though, that census takers were not too particular about spelling sometimes.

Lynne

Posted: 2 Jul 2002 1:33AM GMT
Edited: 18 Aug 2003 8:18PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me anymore about your Thomas Vance; where he was from, parents, years? I think the father of my Thomas was William Vance, came to Ohio about 1818. Speculate that he may have come from Rockbridge, Virginia. Also speculate that he may have traveled to Ohio with a Thomas Vance Sr, and that they may have been relatives.

Lynne (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2002 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: Vance, Colwell
Thanks for information! I certainly gives me some clues to follow in my search for my Thomas' (b. abt 1790) parents. I have only just begun to look at this side of my family; however, I intend to finish searching the censuses for the rest of the Gallia Co. Vances soon. My Thomas married Sarah Colwell (b. abt 1792). You said that Wm traveled to OH with Thomas Sr. Do you think Thomas Sr. could have been my Thomas (b. 1790)? He had a son named Thomas Jr.

Posted: 3 Jul 2002 3:21AM GMT
Edited: 18 Aug 2003 8:18PM GMT
I think you might be on the right track. Check out the websight for the Vance Family Association. I think you will find other researchers that have researched the same Vance's you are looking for. Yours is much easier to track then mine I think. No one seems to know much about mine. Good Luck!

Posted: 17 Jul 2002 4:56AM GMT
Surnames: VANCE, BALCOM, CLARK, GWARTNEY, BAILEY
Have been searching "high and low" for Phillip Sheridan Vance. His info is similar to your Phillip's, so I'm wondering if there is a connection.
Phillip Sheridan Vance reportedly b. 1870, Wood Co. WV (just across the river from Gallia Co. OH?). Don't know his father's name, but have Malinda Cooley as mother. Her father may have been Lewis Cooley. (In mid 1800s, Samuel Vance, Samuel Cooley, William Vance, and Lewis Cooley were neighbors in Fayette Co., PA.) Is it coincidence that your Phillip had siblings named Malinda and Lewis?
PSV m. Sarada Dell Balcom 1906 in Benton Co., AR; they also lived in Pryor, Mayes Co.,OK Indian Territory; Harrison Co., IN; Carthage, Jasper Co., MO; Columbus, Franklin Co., OH. 8 kids. Divorced in 1922. PSV d.1943, Columbus, OH.
In late 1920s, at least one of his daughters (Dora Eunice Vance, Mrs. John Daniel Clark) was living in Gallipolis, Gallia Co., OH. It's a small world, huh?
Can you shed any light on these coincidences? Any corrections or clues about Phillip Sheridan Vance, his possible siblings or parents, etc.?
Thanks!!

Posted: 16 Jun 2011 7:09PM GMT
Hi! My name is Tracy L.(Vance) Woods. I do believe we have the same Thomas Vance and Sarah Colwell. I have done alot of research on the Vance's so far. If ya would like to compare and/or add please email me at bunkie@embarqmail.com. I will be more than happy to share. How are ya related to the Vance's? Thomas is my 4th great grandpa.

Posted: 16 Jun 2011 7:14PM GMT
Hi! My name is Tracy L.(Vance) Woods. I do believe we have the same Thomas Vance and Sarah Colwell. I have done alot of research on the Vance's so far. If ya would like to compare and/or add please email me at bunkie@embarqmail.com. I will be more than happy to share. How are ya related to the Vance's? Thomas is my 4th great grandpa.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic