Search for content in message boards

Death Lookup Please: Brooklyn New York. Burial: Evergreen cemetery Brooklyn

Death Lookup Please: Brooklyn New York. Burial: Evergreen cemetery Brooklyn

Posted: 7 Jan 2006 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coull Oldman Hird
Apologies in advance as I don't know anything about searching US records and therefore don't know if anyone can help.

I'm looking for more information on the death and burial of Robert Coull (sometimes spelt Coul) He was born about 1880 in Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland. I was told many years ago that he died in Brooklyn in 1909 and buried in Evergreen cemetery.

His nephew Alexander Oldman may have been buried there in 1932. He was born about 1899 in Scotland and died 1932.

Thank you for any help you can give me

Lesley

Re: Death Lookup Please: Brooklyn New York. Burial: Evergreen cemetery Brooklyn

Posted: 7 Jan 2006 4:39AM GMT
First - and this is said kindly - Brooklyn is in Kings Co. (You are on the New York County board.) You may have more luck posting on that board.

This being said, I searched for your names on www.italiangen.org - they have access to the NYC Death Index. (You can also access it through www.stevenmorse.org - it is a GREAT site.) I found a listing for Robert Cole (phonetic spelling?), died July 9, 1909 at the age of 40, certificate #3543, Bronx Co.

There is also a listing for a Alexander Oldman, 68 yrs, died 1936 (#12659- Kings Co.) This seems to be a bit of a stretch to be your guy but you never know.

NOw, you have 2 options...well, maybe 3. You can make another posting asking if someone would be willing to lookup the death certificate of Robert Cole for you. It's available at the Municipal Archives in NYC. Or you can order it from them online (google Municipal Archives and follow the links). Third, you can call Evergreen with Robert Cole's name and death date and see if they have him. If they do, be sure to ask who else is interred with him.

Good Luck!
Posted: 7 Jan 2006 10:08AM GMT
Thank you Lynn,

I note your comments and take it how it is intended. Thank you for letting me know, it will obviously help my research if I'm looking in the right place!

I'm not American so am not completely familar with US geography. I obviously knew that New York was a city and a county but wasn't sure how Brooklyn fitted into this, when I googled it came up Brooklyn NY so I took my chances (as it was the middle of the night for me) but it was wrong.

Thank you for checking up for me. I will look into the options you gave me. Someone gave me the information years ago but they were not related to my tree and had lost the contact details of who had sent the information. Therefore, I couldn't verify if the information was correct.

Thanks again

Lesley

Re: Thank you

Posted: 7 Jan 2006 2:14PM GMT
Not a problem Leslie. That New York/Brooklyn confusion is a common one but you never know how just words will be interpreted. I've heard that 90% of all communication is through tone. Anyway, the contact info for Evergreen is 1629 Bushwick Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11207-1849; (718) 455-5300. Given your overseas status you might want to try a letter first. Many of the cemeteries around here charge for genealogical information and some of the fees can be quite expensive. Therefore, you might also try posting on the Kings Co. board to see if someone will go in person to the cemetery to inquire. Admittedly, its a bit of a longshot, but you never know. The people on these boards are quite helpful and both the NY and Kings Co. boards are very active so you may have some success.

If you haven't already tried this, you should check with your local Family History Center (the Mormon Church). Their website is www.familysearch.org and from them you can order NYC Directories (Brooklyn too but the years are more limited - see the Kings Co board because there was a thread on that just a few days ago.) Check the 1900 census as well; the 1890 census burned so that's not available. And of course, there are the immigration records. If Robert came here after 1892 he would have been processed through Ellis Isand. The Steven Morse site has access to that or you can google it for the exact address.

Best of Luck to you!

Lynn

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2006 8:05PM GMT
Lesley, actually, you have not posted on the wrong board. Although Robert Coull was buried in a cemetery in Brooklyn, he actually lived in Manhattan. (The cemetery is called, by the way, Cemetery of the Evergreens. Some of my own family are buried there.)

According to Ellis Island passenger arrival records, Robert Coull, aged 27, painter, arrived in New York on 21 February 1907. He was travelling with a James Hay, aged 23, also a painter. Both indicated that they would be joining a friend, Richard Davidson, aged 19, a plasterer, who had immigrated in 1905 and who resided at 125 West 67th Street in New York City (i.e., Manhattan).

Neither Robert Coull nor Alexander Oldman appear in the New York City death index. (There was an Alexander Oldman who died in Brooklyn in 1936, but he was a Jewish man originally from Austria and aged 68.)

You did leave out some rather important information:

What is the SOURCE of your information that Robert Coull died in New York City in 1909 and is buried in the Cemetery of the Evergreens to begin with?

And what is the source of your information that Alexander Oldman died in 1932? I was unable to find him in any census. When did he emigrate to America?

The only Alexander Oldman I did find was born in Longside, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, on 1 February 1893, but this Alexander Oldman lived on the other side of the country, in California! Further, this Alexander Oldman died in 1954 in Los Angeles. His mother's maiden name was Bruce.

Robert

Re: Thank you

Lesley (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2006 9:44PM GMT
Thanks again Lynn

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm having computer problems at the moment. Everytime I think it may be fixed, it crashes on me. Hopefully this time :-)

I'm still exploring the Steven Morse site, Its excellent.

Thanks again.

Lesley (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2006 10:38PM GMT
Thanks Robert for your reply and correcting me on Cemetery of the Evergreens,

The source information for the American part of my family tree eg burials at "Evergreen Cemetery" is unfortunately not based upon my own research. (Apologies as it's a little longwinded to explain). About 5 years ago someone who was researching the same surname as me (but not the same family tree) sent me a gedcom file that he had obtained from a distant relation of mine (name unknown) who was researching the same tree. Unfortunately he had lost track of the contact details so I have never been able to get in touch with them to verify the information.

This source also seemed to think that Robert Coull was born in 1877 rather than the approximate date of 1880 that I had obtained from an earlier Scottish census.

Someone found Alexander Oldman and one of his brothers on the 1830 census as they were living with another relation John Coull Hird b.1887 (although it is spelt Herd on the census) in Montclair, Essex, New Jersey at the time. Unfortunately I don't have that information to hand as I'm having computer problems at the moment and I don't have access to Ancestry.com.

Also, if I remember correctly from the Ellis Island records, I think that John Coull Hird came over to stay with his uncle Robert Coull the same year that Robert died (arrived Sept 20,1909) which I thought was coincidental. He was staying at 165 w 27 NY at the time.

Alexander Oldmans mother was called Isabella Robertson Coull, his father was Alexander Anderson Coull.

Thank you for finding Robert's Ellis Island records. For some reason I couldn't find them.

Thanks again.

Lesley

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 3:16AM GMT
I have been reading your posts about research in New York. I have been do research through the archives in DC and death certificates in New York for years. Now it is a lot easier with ancestry.com. I have used the italiangen.org website but not stevenmorse.org. Another site I use is the Brooklyn Public Library. My family has been living in NY City since the first immigrants arrived. (Peter Lot, etc)
Are there any other sites that would be helpful for me? I have never been to NY to do research. I have always done it from long distance. I have ancestors buried in Cypress Hills, Mt. Olivet, Evergreen, Greenwood, and Springfield Cemeteries. They lived in Jamaica, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. Are there easier ways of finding cemetery records than having a search done through the mail?

rachelwiegand@juno.com

Thanks, Rachel Wiegand

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 12:03PM GMT
Have you tried www.findagrave.com?

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 6:24PM GMT
Rachel -

If you haven't already looked at these sites, you might want to.

www.fultonhistory.com (newspapers from NY State; of note to NYC researchers are the copies of the Brooklyn Eagle after 1902)

www.brooklyneagle.com (archives section has copies of the newspaper to 1902)

www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com (info primarily on Brooklyn but quite a lot on Manhattan too)

www.trinitywallstreet.org (archives section (under "History") has a database of B-M-D entries from their parish records including witness/sponsor names. Trinity is located in lower Manhattan and is one of the oldest Protestant churches in the city.)

www.germangenealogygroup.com (includes their copy of the IGG B-M-D database as well as Naturalizaton indexes and some Long Island info)

Hopefully one or more of these are new to you.

Lynn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic