Search for content in message boards

COCKES family in Elberon

COCKES family in Elberon

Posted: 23 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Nov 2005 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: COCKES, CRAIG
Loking for family of Otho COCKES - wife Ida CRAIG Cockes. Living on farm in Surry Co VA - just outside of Elberon 1937/1938. Don't know how long they lived there before or after that. Might have operated a dairy. Had three sons, I think. Ida was cousin to my father, Thomas Henry CRAIG. He was born in Forrest City AR - 1887, son of Methodist minister, Luther CRAIG. Would like to find relatives.

Cockes family

Posted: 22 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2005 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: Cockes, Craig
Want to add to my query on Otho Cockes family in Elberon, Surry Co VA. Otho's oldest son was Zelna Cockes and youngest was Junior (Otho Jr. ?) The farm was not a dairy farm, but acres and acres of peanuts. Still looking for relatives.

Re: Cockes family

Posted: 5 Aug 2003 3:17AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2005 6:41AM GMT
Well, Hello Relative, Patricia Johnson!

Otho, Sr. was my grandfather! HIs wife was Ida Lownsberry Cockes. They had four children. His middle son was my father Francis. That made Zelna and Otho, Jr. my uncles and Virginia my aunt.

My father, Francis, married Margaret Elizabeth Harris of Engelhard, NC and, of course, she became Margaret H. Cockes! I am their only daughter, Dwan Eileen Cockes Johnosn. I married David Lee Johnson, Sr. of Louisville, KY in 1971. We have two adopted sons, David, Jr. and Jeffrey. Currently we are not too far from Elberon in Southampton County (Sedley)! My husband, David, is the pastor of Sedley Baptist Church.

I'd love to get with you, meet you, and compare notes! PLEASE contact me by e-mail and I'll let you know how to contact me in person!

A little more info, here, if you don't have it:

Grandfather Cockes' father, Charles (my great grandfather), divided up the Cockes Crossing farm into four plots and gave them to each of his children: Otho, Sr., Ollie, Ottimus (Ottie) and Olivia. Grandfather Otho was the County Extension Agent for Surry County for many years. Great-Uncle Ottie served as postmaster for the Elbeon post office for many years, and his daughter Marion Cockes Sowder still lives next door to the post office. She followed her father as postmaster at the Elberson Office.

Are you familiar with the New Lebanon Christian Church at Elberon? The land on which it stands was a part of the Cockes farm. Great-Grandfather Charles gave the land to the church, and from what I understand, Uncles Ollie and Ottie helped build it.

I'd love to know where in the Cockes line you fall and see if we can get back any further than Great Grandfather Charles. I think his father's name was John.

I was actually born and raised in York County, where my father, Francis Cockes, was fire chief for the Coast Guard base there. It was a Naval base before the Coast Guard took it over when I was 11.

Grandfather Otho's and Grammy Ida's home burned to the ground in the early 1940's, but the little office that Grandfather used for his home office is still standing.. Papa (Francis) actually inherited that land and I still have a picture of the old house that he gave me before he died in 1995. Also pictures of Grandfather and Grammy, Uncles Ollie and Ottie. When Papa had the farm, he had a beautiful orchard with apples, peaches, and plums. When the Coast Guard took over the Naval Base, we moved to Gloucester, and Mama and Papa sold that section of the Elberon farm to cousin Marion Sowder Cockes. I think she still owns it, but the orchard is no more.

Like I say, get in touch and we'll see if we can't get together! My e-mail address is preachwife6@aol.com. If you'll drop me an
E-mail letting me know how I can contact you personally further, I'd appreciate it! I'd love for us to get together!

By the way, Grandfather, Grammy, Uncle Zelna and his wife Elizabeth, their son Tommy, are all buried at the Oakwood Cemetery in Surry.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Dwan Cockes Johnson

Melodie (Cockes) Gleason (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2003 8:10PM GMT
TO PATRICIA JOHNSON:

Patricia,
I hope this will at least bring you into the present for the Cockes family a little bit.

I am the eldest grandaughter of Zelna Neil Cockes.
Grandaddy was born May, 1907.
He married Elizabeth Jones of Surry 9-25-1938 (at least, I think that's the correct year)...I can check with Uncle Ed.
They had two sons: Thomas Otho Cockes (my Father), born 6-6-1940 and Edward Woolson Cockes, born 9-12-1942.

I can remember Grandaddy singing and playing his trombone during church -- he had a pretty good voice. He passed away in the fall of 1978. Grandmama passed away 3-29-1999.

Daddy married my mother, Illa Marie (goes by Marie) Houser on March 6, 1962 in Bartlesville, OK, and moved back to the Tidewater area shortly thereafter.

Daddy also sang, and played the trumpet, in addition to his photography and art work.
I, Melodie Anne (Cockes) Gleason, was born March 5, 1963 in Newport News, VA.
My sister, Linda Darlene (Cockes) Foster was born May 5, 1965.

Daddy & Momma moved to Caney, KS in 1969, just before the school year began. They divorced in 1972, and Daddy was murdered on February 19, 1975.

I graduated from Caney Valley HS in 1981.
Attended MidAmerica Nazarene College (now MANU), where I met my husband, Gerry Lee Gleason of Eaton Rapids, MI. We were married on 6-17-1983 and have two sons:
William Thomas Gleason 12-20-1984
Stephen Philip Gleason 9-16-1987

Linda has been married three times and has four daughters and one grandaughter**:
Sherrailynn Christanne Cockes 3-29-1984**
Angela Dawn Tickle 1-29-1986
Ulani Danae Cockes (she goes by Bottarini, her father's last name) 5-17-1988
Amelia Rose Bottarini 8-16-1990
**Sherrailynn's daughter: Elizabeth Odette Cockes, 1-19-2001

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me back -- My second cousin, Dwan Cockes and I are trying to trace back the family to beyond the farm at Elberon.
Thank you SO much!
Melodie

Posted: 6 Jun 2010 1:00AM GMT

My name is Charles Nathan (Farris) Wells. Thomas Otho (Cockes) Wells is my 1/2 brother. I am trying trace back my family since Thomas and my sister Shannon has passed away. If any one knows any information of where I can find my mother and father please email me.

Thanks,
Charles Farris-Wells

Posted: 6 Jun 2010 1:37AM GMT
Surnames: Cockes, Craig,
Charles,

Have you read theprevious postings on the Cockes Family? There is good information in them. I was trying to find out about Ida Craig Lowndsberry who was my father's cousin - in the Craig line - so did not follow up on the Cockes family.

Good luck - Patricia

Re: COCKES family in Elberon

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 9:57PM GMT
Hi!
Otho Modite Cockes, Sr., was my grandfather. His wife was Ida Lownsbery Cockes. Craig Lownsbery was her brother. Otho and Ida were parents to Zelna N. Cockes, Francis Edward Cockes (my father), Virginia Cockes Baggs, and Otho Modite Cockes, Jr. How might I be of further help?

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 12:07AM GMT
Surnames: Savage/Savedge
Not my line but,Hope this helps:

1880 United States Federal Census
about Charles E. Cocks
Name: Charles E. Cocks
Home in 1880: Blackwater, Surry, Virginia
Estimated birth year: abt 1819
Birthplace: Virginia
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Spouse's name: Lavina
Father's birthplace: Virginia
Mother's birthplace: Virginia
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Charles E. Cocks 61 VA VA VA
Lavina Cocks 42
Olis V. Cocks 11 male
Otho M. Cocks 9 male
Olivia C. Cocks 6 female
Ottemus J. Cocks 2 male

1870 United States Federal Census
about Charles Cocke
Name: Charles Cocke
Birth Year: abt 1820
Age in 1870: 50
Home in 1870: Cobham, Surry, Virginia
Race: White
Post Office: Surry Court House
Charles Cocke 50
Lavinia Cocke 32
Allen Cocke 1
Ellis Carroll 14 male (relationship not given)

1860 United States Federal Census
about Charles E Cocks
Name: Charles E Cocks
Age in 1860: 37
Birth Year: abt 1823
Home in 1860: Surry, Virginia
Post Office: Cabin Point
Charles E Cocks 37 farmer
James Clayton 14 male mulatto

1850 United States Federal Census
about Charles E Cocke
Name: Charles E Cocke
Estimated birth year: abt 1823
Birth Place: VA
Home in 1850 (City,County,State): Sussex, Virginia
Family Number: 709
Charles Champion 44 farmer
Temperance Champion 38
Charles W Champion 12
Robert P Champion 11
Charles E Cocke 27 merchant
Elizabeth Manry 46

wife of Charles: Lavinia Ann Pylant 1838 – ?
some say the parents of Charles were: Henry Moring Cockes and ?

a possibility:
1850 United States Federal Census
about Henry M Cockes
Name: Henry M Cockes
Estimated birth year: abt 1794
Home in 1850 (City,County,State): Southwark Parish, Surry, Virginia
Family Number: 589
Henry M Cockes 56
Mary A Cockes 46
Mary C Cockes 22
Malinda Cockes 18
Elizabeth F Cockes 10
Cornelia Cockes 0

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 9:44PM GMT
Thank You!!! I really appreciate this!!!

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 9:47PM GMT
You are most welcome.
I think the Cockes family is pretty well reseached on the Surry forum. Post what you know at VASURRY-L@rootsweb.com
and I bet you will get replies.

Audrey
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions