Search for content in message boards

Marino, Amara, DiMare and Morello from Augusta, Sicily

Marino, Amara, DiMare and Morello from Augusta, Sicily

Posted: 12 Mar 2009 6:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Marino
I am compiling a list of all the Marinos, Amaras, DiMares, and Morellos born in Augusta...I currently have all records from 1889-1890, and will continue to add. I am doing this in order to learn more about relations of my great grandfathers siblings. If you would like to see if I have a record for a someone for this time period, and have any more information about them, please feel free to email me.

Re: Marino, Amara, DiMare and Morello from Augusta, Sicily

Posted: 12 Jul 2009 11:25PM GMT
Hi

In my family I have an Andrea Marino born in Augusta Abt 1880 married my aunt Francesca Casalaina Marino. They emigrated to Asmara Eritrea ( abt 1914) . They had 4 sons Giuseppe, Sebastiano, Vincent and Antonio and 3 daughters: Francesca, Maria and Annunziata. The children were all born in Asmara.

Posted: 15 Jul 2009 5:01AM GMT
From my records, Andrea Marino was born on Nov 27 1887 and married Francesca on December 19, 1912. I could not read her last name on the record correctly until your post. Anyway, Andrea's father was Sebastiano Marino (b. abt 1850) and his mother was Francesca Saluta. Andrea was the eldest of 4 (so far that I have tracked down....I have not gone past 1899):
Andrea b 27 Nov 1887 (m. Francesca Casalaina 19 Dec 1912)
Giovanna b. 5 Nov 1890 (died in childhood based on next record)
Giovanna b. 6 Mar 1894 m. Vincenzo Fricia 15 Dec 1915)
Vincenzo Marino b. 24 Nov 1899 (m. Rosa Marinisi 10 Jun 1925)

I hope this helps in some way. Also, out of curiosity, how is it that your family emigrated from Sicily to Asmara? Also, is there any breast/ovarian cancer in your family...it is hereditary in my family inherited by me from the Marino side. Just curious!

Posted: 15 Jul 2009 1:02PM GMT
Surnames: Marino Accolla Casalaina
Thank you very much for that information.

I will put in the tree that I have just started to publish on
MyHeritage.com

http://www.myheritage.com/site-57878121/casalaina-web-site

Many families from Augusta went to Asmara to work on building the city starting with the churches and the railroad. Eritrea became a Italian colony in 1889 and Asmara after the main building were built the capital in 1897. The city (most of the buildings are still there looks like a Sicilian town) http://www.asmera.nl/asmara.htm

My father followed his sister in 1916. It was drafted there and was a soldier there during WW I. He then went to Libya (another Italian colony) for a while then back to Asmara. In the 30 he joined his maternal uncle Accolla to found a beverage company. His 2 brothers Carmelo and Angelo joined them. In WWII all man were drafted. Asmara fell to the British in a few weeks (none of the old colonials liked the Fascists) My uncles (but not Andrea)were taken prisoners and sent to South Africa. My father since he had a new baby (me) was allowed to stay. We were driven out and went to Augusta in 1948. The Marinos stayed until the revolution of the sixties when all their properties were confiscated.

Of the sons and daughter of Andrea. Giuseppe died in Augusta
Sebastiano emigrated to St. Louis (he died there) Francesca and Maria and their mother also died in Augusta. Vincent after roaming the world (10 years in Vietnam) lives in Brereton Fl. Antonio in NJ, Ottavio in Rome and Nunzia in Augusta in the house that Andrea built.

I do not know if there was any ovarian or breast cancer in the family. I will ask.

Posted: 16 Jul 2009 4:12AM GMT
Thank you for sharing your personal history. I never knew anything about the connections in Asmara and Libya. Can you explain more about the marinos who stayed during the revolution (of the 1860's?) and lost their property? I do not know much of the history of Sicily and know of no personal family accounts during that time.

Posted: 16 Jul 2009 3:40PM GMT
For a brief history of the Italian colonial adventures read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Colonial_Empire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eritrea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heile_Selassie#Revolution

The revolution that I was referring started in Eritrea in the late 1960 when Ethiopia annexed Eritrea and then culminated with a filo communist govt in Ethiopia and the war of independence of Eritrea (1962-1993).

There also a good article on Sicily here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicily

Joe

Posted: 28 Jul 2009 6:59PM GMT
Interesting!

My grandmother said she was born in Augusta. She was Carmela Marino, born in 1898. She had two sisters, Marian and Providenza, and at least one brother, Sebastiano. They all moved to the Boston area. She married John (Giovanni) Palazzolo. I don't know if he was also from Augusta. or where they were married (Sicily or US).

Posted: 27 Oct 2009 3:00AM GMT
Ken, I just saw your post. So sorry I didn't see it sooner. Anyway, yes I have Carmela Marino in my list of Augusta Marinos. Her birth date was about 22 Sep 1898. Her parents were Domenico (b. 5 Dec 1859)/Giuseppa Giummo. Domenico's parents were Sebastiano (b.abt 1839; d.14 Dec 1908 in Augusta)/Providenza Palermo. Sebastiano's parents were Domenico/Maria fareri.I have a list of all her siblings' birth dates as well as all her aunts/uncles (her father Domenico was the eldest of 8)and some of their marriages.

There are 2 interesting facts I have discovered. The first is that Carmela and her family are listed right next to my Marino family on Hale St. according to the 1920 census in Boston. My grandmother Josephine was 7 (parents Salvatore/Carmela Tringali)and your Carmela was 21 according to the census. i wonder if they were related? Is there any family stories that might indicate they were?

The second fact is that Carmela's aunt Lucia (3rd born of sebastiano/Providenza Palermo) moved to NY with husband Vincenzo Belluso, and she had a death record in Sicily that said she died in NY 30 Dec 1910 at age 44.

I am curious...are there any cases of breast or ovarian cancer in your family? I started all this research to see if I could find connections based on this fact...it is the hereditary form in my family.

Let me know if you want the list of aunts/uncles!

Posted: 27 Oct 2009 7:21PM GMT
Cathy,

Thanks so much for the reply!

Let me answer your question first. No, I am not aware of any breast/ovarian cancer. My grandmother died of kidney cancer. Her younger sister had severe diabetes, and died of complications, but she was well into her 70's, if not 80's. Her older sister lived into her 90's and died basically of old age.

Regarding Josephine, I *think* when I was very young my grandmother did refer to a "Josie" from time to time, but that's all I have on that.

Finally, I would be very grateful for any info you could provide regarding my grandmother's family.

Thanks again.

Ken

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 1:26AM GMT
As an update, I have all the births for Marino, DiMare, Morello and Amara in Augusta Sicily from 1855-1899. These have been grouped by family as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions