Search for content in message boards

Hawkins and Shields Immigration

Hawkins and Shields Immigration

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 4:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hawkins, Shields
I am looking for the date of immigration of Patrick Shields, Mary Hawkins Shields, Bridget Hawkins and John Hawkins. They immigrated from County Galway, Ireland. I believe they would have arrived in the US in approximately 1849-1851. I know they were in Dane County, WI in 1852 and in St. Croix in 1855. The Hawkins family immigrated in small groups and originally settled in CT. I have been able to find the dates of immigration for all family members but the above.

Re: Hawkins and Shields Immigration

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 5:56AM GMT
Surnames: Shields
There is a Patrick Shields and Mary Shields in the 1875 Minnesota State Census, Dakota County, Mendota Township. Also two children: Mary and Michael.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 4:29PM GMT
To my knowledge, they never resided in Minnesota. After 1855, they resided in St. Croix County, WI, at all times. Thanks for your resply.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 9:14AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: shields
regretfully, they did not survive till the 1900 census which would have given an indication

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=SH...;

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=2...;

Patrick's Army enlistment
Name: Patrick Shields
Birthyear: abt 1811
Birthplace: DONEGAL, Ireland
Enlistment Age: 26
GREY EYES
BROWN HAIR
DARK COMPLEXION
5'6"

Name: Patrick Shields
State: WI
County: St. Croix County
Township: Rush River
Year: 1855
Database: WI 1855 State Census Index

SON born Ireland
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=SH...;

daughter Mary b Ireland c1851 - daughter Margaret c1858 WI so, does narrow it down a tad to c1851-1858

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 2:36PM GMT
Thanks for responding. I have narrowed it down between late 1850 and probably 1852. I know that when the entire Hawkins family (Patrick Shields was married to Mary Hawkins) moved to Wisconsin, all the Hawkins children and their spouses had immigrated to the US. About half the family is living in Meriden, CT in Aug 1850 so I am guessing the remainder arrived after that time. I have searched the entire 1850 census for Meriden to see if some could have been living elsewhere, but there is nothing. I can only guess they hadn't arrived yet.

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 9:41PM GMT
I'm interested in any info you have Patrick and Mary are my third great grandparents. I do know that Patrick enlisted in the US army in approximately 1837. Any more info you could give would be great.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions