Search for content in message boards

Edwards & Ausmus Speedwell, Claiborne County, TN

Edwards & Ausmus Speedwell, Claiborne County, TN

Michael Edwards (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2003 3:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Edwards Ausmus Cawood
Looking for Edwards' with connections to Speedwell, TN to join me at MyFamily site. Email me for invitation.
Cousin Mike

Re: Edwards & Ausmus Speedwell, Claiborne County, TN

Posted: 2 Jul 2004 7:18AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2004 7:27AM GMT
Hi am doing history of the family and came across the thread here. My maiden name is Edwards. I have traced as far back as Johann Ausmus.

Posted: 2 Jul 2004 7:28AM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2006 2:39AM GMT
hello,
some of my Edwards ancestors settled in Claiborne Tenn.my line is from William Edwards and Rebecca Brewer .This William had a father William who at one time lived in Claiborne .Tami

Shawna (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2004 11:01PM GMT
I have as far as Walter Floyd Edwards born 1893 and married to Mattie Mae Gautney. His Father was John Joseph Edwaards dob unknown and was married to a Dora

Posted: 16 Sep 2005 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: Edwards Gautney
My Grandfathers name was Walter Floyd Edwards and his wife was Mattie Mae Gautney. My name is Harriet Mae Edwards. E-mail me at willowminamoon@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 11 Jan 2010 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: Edwards/Ausmus
Hello!
I am Laura Edwards Castle and researching the family line back to the Revolutionary War, Claiborne Co.'s early settlers, and back to these families' arrival in the US. I have made the connections and have a family tree on Ancestry.com, (Sibley/ Edwards family tree), but have little documentation on the Ausmus/Edwards. My great great Grandfather was Sampson Edwards, son of Spencer, who married Malinda Ausmus. Also, My great great grandfather was Henry Ausmus, son of Benjamin, who married Matilda Bolinger. Their daughter, Mary Etta, married Joseph Porter Edwards. They were parents to my grandfather, Sampson Claude Edwards who married Kate Rowlett. My father was Howard Lee Edwards.

I have read Old Speedwell Families by Dr. Lawrence Edwards, my father's second cousin I think, and Ausmus Family History by Harry Ausmus. The lines are there and connected, but I have no sources other than a few Censes' etc. Can you help me with acquiring copies of Birth, Death, Marriages etc... in order to prove this geneology? Sampson Claude, Kate and my father are all deceased, and only my Aunt Esta is still in the Tennessee/ Kentucky area.

Any documents or sources would be GREATLY appreciated. Or send me in the right direction?
Thank you so much for considering this request.

Posted: 10 Nov 2010 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Ausmus, McHenry
New to this, hopefully can help. I think I can go back 9 generations to Johann Peter Ausmus from Rotterdam, Holland to Philadelphia, PA @1752. Prior to that they were from Hambur, Germany. His wife died en-route and was buried at sea. Arrived with sons Benjamin (?)and Philip (1733-1809). Philip was married ?(3)? times:
m.1760 to Anna Elizabeth (1737-?) w/3 childr frm 1762-68
m.1773 to Elizabeth Neva('Betty' 1743-1816) w/7 childr frm 1774-85
m.1773 to Maria Chatrina Armstrong(1741-1790) w/5 childr frm 1774-82.
But the children's names I have were mixed up with each mother.. and it occured to me that Anna Elizabeth and Elizabeth (Betty) Neva could be the same person, but dates are different because sources were different. Unable to confirm so far; I HAVE YET TO CONFIRM ANY OF THE ABOVE.

One of the sons was Henry Ausmus (1774-1849) who married Malinda Price (1782-1864) and settled in Powell Valley, Claiborne Co, TN.
Their son was Ben Ausmus (1801-1862), whose son was Capt. William B. Ausmus (1834-1907). His daughter, was Mary/Mollie Ausmus (1861-1933) who married my g-g-grandfth ADOLPHUS McHENRY in 1876. (@1884 she married a John Breeding). The McHenrys' son was William Jackson McHenry, whose daughter, Ruby Myrtle McHenry, was my father's mother. My father was William Jackson Bennett (1926-1993).
We can find NOTHING on Adolphus McHenry's (b. 1853) where-abouts prior to his move to the valley as a physician by the mid-1870's. I'd heard of the book "Old Speedwell Families" but cannot find it. Where did you get it? Also the Ausmus Family book, please. Thank you so-o much for listening. dcade@consolidated.net

Posted: 10 Nov 2010 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: Ausmus, McHenry
Please review my post to Ms. Castle on Nov 9th. Is my info on Ausmus close? Thank you.

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 2:17AM GMT
My information comes from references in others online and the specific books Old Speedwell Families by Dr. Lawrence Edwards, and Ausmus Family History by Harry Ausmus. My late uncle found a copy of the Old Speedwell book in the Denver library and mad a copy for me. Harry Ausmus was a professor at the university in Johnson City, Tennessee. That may also be a source. I was in Speedwell several years ago and spoke with Franklin (Toppy) Russell who is an Ausmus and knows all and is known by everyone. just a great guy. The books are not in print.

My relationship is with Phillip. Phillip's son (also Phillip) and John and Peter all came to Illinois. I'm related to Phillip, Jr. I've seen other online information that checks with what I have back to Phillip. Another tree on ancestery.com has good information back to Germany. I'd like to verify that information. I've seen information similar to what you have in your 1st paragraph, but do you see two marriages in 1773? have you seen the Birkinsha Family Tree?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions