Search for content in message boards

Philip Schuyler, Artist

Philip Schuyler, Artist

Ernest Haag (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Schuyler
I would like to know about the lineage of the artist Philip Schuyler. He lived on the west coast, taught at San Jose State College and other San Francisco area universities, was a "combat artist" in WW2, and died in the Northwest (Seattle area?) in the 70's? He was also a set designer in the 30's/40's in Hollywood. I believe he was related to the New York Schuylers, and recall a painting that was displayed in Washington, D.C. of "The Chaplains". That's about all I know. Any info will be appreciated.

Re: Philip Schuyler, Artist

Posted: 11 Mar 2009 12:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schuyler
Philip Schuyler was my husband. He is featured in a website for Schuyler Editions, a Virtual Museum, that is dedicated to his series of paintings of the young men sent by their country to fight a war in Viet Nam.

Following the war no one was interested in paintings about Viet Nam. After a partial exhibition at West Point midway in the creation of the Series, the paintings were stored in a fine arts warehouse in New York City for many years. Long after Mr. Schuyler died I had them sent to my home in Los Angeles. Eventually I remarried, but have kept the artworks and all other Schuyler memorabilia with me until this day. I am again widowed and am now 88 years old,
living near my children. My name is now Joy Parker, and I live near China Lake Navy Base in Ridgecrest, California. I will be pleased to hear from anyone interested in Mr. Schuyler or his work.

Posted: 18 Mar 2009 5:51PM GMT
Dear Joy - please excuse my addressing you by your first name but I wanted to let you know that visiting your Web Site was a JOY for me - our Lt Col son just came home from a 15 month dangerous nerve wracking tour in Iraq as the 4th Inf Div Civil Affairs Officer, the Division your hubby so wonderfully and historically portrayed in his work. (Prior to that our son served in Afghanistan as well). Those paintings and pictures made memories flood back to me of those very trying years when our brave young men and women were putting their lives on the line while their drugged hippie contemporaries were prancing all around running our Nation into the ground. I vividly remember training so many of those young folks at Ft Dix and Ft Leonard Wood preparing them for battle with the despots trying to steal freedom from our neighbors in SE Asia. Thank you ever so much for sharing these works of art with us. I found out about them while assisting other genealogists via the RootsWeb of Ancestry.com and came upon your Posting -thanks again, Resp G.J. Messmer COL USAR Retd

Posted: 4 Oct 2009 12:02PM GMT
Dear Mrs. Joy Parker, My name is Michael Stewart and I am the former All-American Basketball player from Santa Clara University. I remember you, and Dr. Schuyler very well both as a friend and as one of my most distinguished professors at SCU. Some of my most memorable moments included observing Dr. Schuyler at work. I remember most of his work being displayed in his campus studio. I am currently living in the Washington, DC area and I often visit the Smithsonians. Is Dr. Schuyler work on display here? If so please tell us where.

Thank you.
Michael Stewart
SCU'73

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 3:32AM GMT
Edited: 17 Oct 2012 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Hett, Schuyler
My uncle was Wm Hett, one of the Chaplains. If you have that painting or could tell us where it is now we would greatly appreciate it. It means a lot to his daughter that her father was so honored by Dr. Schuyler.

Posted: 6 May 2013 1:48AM GMT
Hello Joyce, this is crazy that I just saw this message, i went to google to search for Philip schuyler schuyler editions website, and all of a sudden, i see your name in this link, this is amazing! My name is Michelle Schuyler, Im Stanley F. Schuyler, Jr., daughter.. My father would love to say hi to you, he would be the happiest person to hear from you. I live in Miami, Florida my phone is 305-279-8990, or my cel phone is 305-877-7442, my dad lives in athens, georgia, and his ph no is 706-372-4390, would love to meet you, its a shame that i never met Philip, my mother Mariela, as you remember, had so much love for philip, my mother always said she loved him like if he was her father... Please call us whenever you see this message! Take care, and much love, michelle schuyler

Posted: 6 May 2013 1:58AM GMT
Hello Joyce, its me again, michelle schuyler, also my email is m.schuyler@yahoo.com, and my dads email is sonnyf44@gmail.com.. ok take care, michelle schuyler
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions