Search for content in message boards

Cairns/Kerns/Kearns- Fayette Co, PA

Cairns/Kerns/Kearns- Fayette Co, PA

Posted: 17 Jul 2007 10:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cairns, Kerns, Kearns
Have ran into many dead ends researching this which is the line of my paternal grandmother, Agnes Elizabeth Kearns. (Sibling names include Ann, Edward, James Jr., Philip)

My great uncle was Philip Cairns who served in the First World War, possibly as a cook. He has siblings that went by Kearns. His mother Mary (Cavinough?) and father James used the spelling Kerns.James Kerns can be found in the Summit Co. OH 1930 stating he was from Scotland. Family lore has it that there were two sides of the family Kerns with a K and Cairns with a C. The correct spelling apparently was a family joke.

Would welcome hearing from any familiar with this line.

Re: Cairns/Kerns/Kearns- Fayette Co, PA

Posted: 17 Aug 2007 10:25PM GMT
Hello!
Well, I have another spelling to add to the list. (Cairnes)
From information obtained and made available on the Shepler board, "Jane Shipler married John Corwin, whose sister Sally married Zophar Carines, a brother of Elizabeth,(Cairnes)wife of Butler Case." Parentheses are my additions. I checked out the gedcoms and found no dates given but Elizabeth Cairnes had a brother Zophar and a father Zophar. Butler Case had a son Butler Case Jr. who was born in Morris Co., NJ and Butler Case Sr. supposedly died in Westmoreland Co.,PA in 1802. If Elizabeth Cairnes/Cairns married Butler Case Sr. I would imagine these folks were born sometime in the 1720's? or maybe the 1730's? Hope there is someone out there who can help me out with the dates question. Thanks, Gene

Posted: 7 Jan 2008 10:40PM GMT
hello, I am new to all this but I have found out our side of Cairns maybe was spelt kearns or as you say it was and think we originated from Ireland, my fathers mother was called Agnes Cairns, my grandfather was Alfred. A Michael Cairns is our our family tree he was born in County Mayo Ireland in 1851.

Posted: 16 Aug 2009 7:24PM GMT
Hi, I cant comment on your own family recent history but in times in the past when the only person who was registering a birth was often illiterate and the registrar might have been other than someone from an English or Irish background, its easliy understandable how a name can be misspelt! However the origins of the Kearns lies in Southern Ireland - mostly BUT I have a hunch that the Kerns or Kearns originates from Scottish Cairnes or Carnys who went with Robert the Bruces army when they invaded Ireland in 1290s. After their defeat the remants of the Scots remained in Ireland and changed to Kearns or Kerns!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic