Search for content in message boards

Dead end

Dead end

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 12:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jan 2013 2:14PM GMT
I have come to a dead end with trying to get information for my father's side of the family. I know the names of my grandparents. The only thing I have found is 1 census with my grandfather's name and it listed parents with a different name. But the census stops there. There are no more with his name. I have a feeling that he was possibly adopted but I know he kept his name.I do know he was in the military but info there does not give any family info. I though at one time that he may have come from Germany, but I don't have a clue how he ended up with the people listed. I don't know what to do at this point..Any suggestions?

Re: Dead end

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 12:18AM GMT
Do you have a copy of his death certificate? That may give his birthplace and parent's names, there is a fee for the certificate and can be obtained from the county and/or state where he died. I would also send for his social security application, there is a fee for the ss app. Info can be found here: http://www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/topics/social-sec....

You should also research the people he was living with, they may have been relatives. How old was he in the census you found?

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 4:25PM GMT
You still have a lot of places to explore. Don't toss the census you found but don't assume it's the right person either. Even people with unusual names will sometimes share them. If his name is the least bit common, there will be many others with the same name.

Do a careful look through Ancestry (if you don't have a subscription, your local library probably will). Record every fact (and the source). Even very minor things may turn out to be important. And you can use things like the address on one doc to confirm that the person you found on another doc is your family member.

Do Google searches. Surprising things come up. Use your library to look through newspaper archive sites. In addition to things like birth and wedding announcements and obits, there could be a news article about a family member. Go through online archives of the papers local to where your family lived.

Try to dig up his naturalization papers. NARA archives are awesome places (but they won't have the docs unless it's the same area as where he filed his paperwork) and they have free access to Ancestry and other sites too. Military docs are helpful too if you can find them.

Do you know where he was buried? If you can find the cemetery you can see or get a picture of the gravestone and you can also get info from the cemetery office.

Try to get vital records. They're in the municipal office of wherever the event happened. You probably can't get a birth cert if it was in Germany (well not easily). But try for death and marriage.

Keep searching those censuses, don't stop after finding one matching name. And check out city directories too.

Good luck!
Cyndi

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 4:28PM GMT
P.S. Many people change the spelling of their names, especially before and after immigrating. Sometimes there are several spellings and they are used back and forth. Sometimes the person writing the record (like the census) will use the wrong spelling. Sometimes there are typoes/miswrites. And even more commonly, the transcription is borked and you have trouble finding the person with an internet search. All of this can make it difficult to find people with name searches. Sometimes you have to get creative.

Cyndi

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 3:16AM GMT
With all due respect...a pretty useless, and redundant, message title...compounded by a total lack of information.

Names, dates, locations, for example.

This is an exercise in research, not in clairvoyance.

The help that you might well get, is proportionate to the information and clues that you give.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 1:27AM GMT
Thank you for your help, but I don't have a death certificate. He is buried in Arlington Nationl Cemetary, but that does not give me any family info.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 1:29AM GMT
Thanks for the advice. I will keep digging.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 3:12AM GMT
You should be able to purchase the death certificate from the county or state where he died. It is always good to have copies of death certificates for your ancestors when available.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 5:17AM GMT
The reply from infosending 1 meant that if you include IN THIS MESSAGE THREAD his name, dob, any info you know, etc., someone here may be able to assist you.

Unless you do, we can only guess at what may help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions