Search for content in message boards

Problem with Export to One Page PDF

Problem with Export to One Page PDF

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 2:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have FTM 2009 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. I have been trying to export my Descendant Chart to a PDF using the Export to One Page PDF feature under Share. When I perform this action it give me a PDF with a red "X" across the entire page and no chart. The size of the chart is 474.77" x 14.25 inches. Has anyone had this problem before and is there a solution? I would like to be able to take this to FEDEX/Kinkos to print on a banner.

Re: Problem with Export to One Page PDF

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 3:52AM GMT
speeddaemon,

What do you have as your Default Printer set to?

Russ

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 10:56AM GMT
Russ,

My default printer is set to the HP OfficeJet 7130. The default page setup for the printer is 8.5 X 11". I have tried change the Printer Setup in Family Tree Maker to Adobe PDF as well and many other page setups for both the HP printer and Adobe PDF.

Chris

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 11:33AM GMT
Chris,

What happened when you changed the Adobe PDF printer to be your Default Printer, then PRINT, NOT export to PDF?

Russ

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 7:13PM GMT
Russ,

I am unable to get a page size large enough to print on a single page. It uses the default Letter page size. The largest I seem to be able to change the page size to is 92 X 92 inches.

Chris

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 8:54PM GMT
Chris,

So that was with the Adobe as your Default Printer. So, this limitation is under the control of Adobe. That makes sense, as the default printer usually controls the output.

Russ

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 10:25PM GMT
Chris,

What happened when you changed the Adobe PDF printer to be your Default Printer, then PRINT, NOT export to PDF?

Russ

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 11:31PM GMT
Russ,

When I used print instead of export to One Page PDF it created the PDF of the chart with multiple pages. It did not create a single page file of the entire chart.

Chris

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 11:50PM GMT
Chris,

With Acrobat as the "printer", I would look at your setting in Adobe.

Russ

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 5:06PM GMT
Russ,

It seems that the Export to One Page PDF only works if the Chart Size is less than 200 in. wide (I don't know the height limit yet). I have tried to create PDF files using the User-Defined settings but I have yet to be able to create a PDF of a chart greater than 200 in.

When I have created larger charts it cuts off the chart at a page limit, usually 25.96 in. x 20 in (Width X Height). On the rare occassion I have been able to create a file that is 83.97 in. x 20 in. The whole thing is unpredictable with any chart that is over 200 in. wide. Sometimes the setting for page size changes doesn't even take affect in FTM. Additionally sometimes when I select a User-Defined page size for Adobe PDF FTM will display using the 8.5 X 11 page size or 25.96 x 20. Reproducing this situation is difficult because it doesn't occur regularly.

I don't know if this is an issue with Adobe or FTM but it I tthink it is a problem if I am unable to print large page sizes (i.e. Banner) easily.

Chris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions