Search for content in message boards

Prospect Cemetery

Prospect Cemetery

Posted: 21 Jun 2010 11:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Magee
I have a death registration for a George Magee who died in Toronto on Feb. 24, 1936. It states that he is buried in Prospect Cemetery. Is it true that it costs $30 per inquiry for information? What information would I get if I sent that in? Location and burial date? I am in Michigan so I am not sure what to do. I checked the Toronto Star archive for an obituary/death notice but there was not one. What newspaper would a working family read in 1936?

Re: Prospect Cemetery

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 12:29AM GMT
Hi: I've never sent in an inquiry, so I don't know the answer to your question about the $30 and what you get for that. But I have phoned cemeteries lots of time. If you phone Prospect Cemetery, at 416-651-4040, say that you are interested in visiting the grave of George Magee who died Feb 24, 1936 and was buried on the 26th. If you think he might be buried with his wife, state her name too and that they might be together. Say that you aren't familiar with the cemetery and would need a map showing the section where the plot is etc. (They might direct you to one online or be able to email you one) They should be able to they will tell you if George is buried there and where the section is, right over the phone at no charge, except the long distance call. Depending on their answer, that should confirm if he is in fact buried there or not. And depending what information you are after, if you want a photo of the grave, having the exact plot and section number will help you to post another query either on this board or on random acts of genealogy kindness asking someone to please take a photo of it for you.

I looked in the Globe and Mail and couldn't find any death notice, not that the Globe was the working family paper in 1936, but it is available online so I looked for you. But given that 1936 was depression times, maybe there wasn't any death notice. What was George's wife's name? Do you know when she died? Do you know when his son Nelson died? I'd be happy to try looking these up in the Star, if you know the details.

Good luck in your search.

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 3:31AM GMT
The Toronto Telegram was another paper that was used in 1936.

I think the $30 fee your talking about is with the Mount Pleasant Cemetery Group they have several cemeteries including prospect cemetery if you contact their archives they will search for you but will charge you $30 for a detail search.

I would'nt pay the $30 its not worth the money they don't really provide you with a lot of info, you already have his date of death and where he is buried they won't have much more than that, maybe the funeral home info or who made the arrangements. If there are others buried with him they won't tell you that unless you pay more money.

What sort of info are you looking for?

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 3:32AM GMT
I understand that the Toronto branch is indexing the Prospect Cemetery records, among others, up to 1935. You can read about the project here. It won't help you with your current query, but it is interesting. Does anyone know an anticipated date for them finishing this project?

http://www.torontofamilyhistory.org/projects.html

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 2:45PM GMT
Did you get the LONG FORM CERTIFIED COPY
of the death certificat, because this should
give you
Date of Death, Cause, Where Buried,
Informants Name
The only othe inform. cem. would have
is where he is buried, and if any others
in the family are buried with him.

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 6:54PM GMT
I sent you a private message with the info I found at the cemetery archives but there is a certificate of death for him on Ancestry his full name is George Nelson Magee and his certificate of death confirms his father as Nelson Magee and mother is Grace Perrin his date of birth was Aug 9, 1872 his son Charles is the informant.

Donna

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 1:28AM GMT
George's 2nd wife Lena Gurney died in 1926 and I think she is buried in Hamilton. They lived there according to 1 record I found.
I mainly wanted to know if he was buried alone (which has been answered - he was) and to get a picture of the stone.
I don't know Toronto at all, being from Michigan, so I have been getting others to look things up for me. Someone has already looked at the Toronto Star - no entry.
His son in Toronto was Charles but I know nothing of him other than he was in WW1. I have his birth record and attestation papers but nothing else.

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 1:35AM GMT
The registration I have is the one from Ancestry and it does give me some info but I had wondered if there were other family members there, but there aren't. I don't know where his son Charles ended up after 1936. That is the last bit of information I have on him.

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 7:34PM GMT
Prospect Cemetery will give you information that everyone has suggested previously, other than who purchased the plot.
If you want to check out where your Charles lived in Toronto you could go to the link below and ask the library to check the Toronto Directories for Charles and include years you wish to have them search. You may want to start with the address on his attestation papers. You are allowed 3 requests at a time, per day. If they don't find anything, please don't get discouraged and keep trying different years.

www.torontopubliclibrary.ca

Good Luck.

Posted: 19 Jul 2010 4:23AM GMT
I've been to Prospect Cemetery several times to find family. They do have the original books on file that list each person buried there. The books include the person's age, cause of death, next of kin, undertaker, etc.

I haven't been there in at least 10 years. But I know of 2 other large cemeteries in Toronto that are not allowing the public (including family members) to view their records anymore. Supposidely it has something to do with a new privacy law. I don't know if the cemetery has chosen to adopt these new laws or what. I never had a problem obtaining the books for my research but suddenly it's become an issue.

The cemetery would know how many people are buried in that plot by checking their cards.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions