Search for content in message boards

MURDER IN PICKETT COUNTY abt 1928 involving a SMITH

MURDER IN PICKETT COUNTY abt 1928 involving a SMITH

Linda Little (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2002 5:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SMITH, BOOHER
My mother and a family friend were the sole witnesses to a murder that took place at a Memorial Day weekend gathering. They were outside playing while the other adults were inside at services. A man was shot within 10 feet of them. She was 6 or 7 at the time so it probably happened in 1928 thru 1931. A man was killed in a dispute over a woman she remembers him to be a Smith or or the murderer to be a Smith. Because of their age, she and her friend were not forced to testify in court much to the procecutor's regret. I find her story fasinating picture of 1920 Tennessee and would love a copy of the court transcript or an article from the paper, Prehaps the Pickett County Press or its forerunner. My mother's eyewitness account might also be of interest to a member of the Smith family. I would be happy to write it out and send it on.

Re: MURDER IN PICKETT COUNTY abt 1928 involving a SMITH

Posted: 4 Jul 2002 8:07PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2003 4:49PM GMT
The murder you are talking about took place in 1934 at the Oak Grove Baptist Church here in Pickett County, TN. I live about 5 minutes from it now. My husband's great uncle can tell you every detail if you are interested. Contact me directly if you are and I will get the informaton for you. By the way, who was your Mom?

Linda Little (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2002 4:54AM GMT
How kind of you to answer back,
Many people were kind enough to answer back and help fill in some clues for Mom.

After some of this information was refreshed upon my mother and confirmed.
The information included;
The two men involved in the shooting were Roy Smith (the man who was killed) B 8/8/1911 and his first cousin Charlie Gunter (Smith's father was a brother of Charlie's mother)
It was a dispute over Ada Smith who had dated both men.
All sources inform me that no trial was held, Charlie went on to marry Ada and they moved away to Cumberland County.
There was talk of family revenge but nothing came of it.

I hope to gather all infor (I would still love a newspaper article of it) , get my mother's account, and post it to the sight.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Linda Little
LKLWahoo@aol.com

SURNAMES IN PICKETT/FENTRESS/OVERTON/WHITE COUNTIES KIN INCLUDE:
Little, Booher, Beaty, Cooper, Martin, Fletcher, Poor(e), Wright, Mullinax, Youngs, Kings, Garrett, Gillentine, Hinds, Buck

Dianne Garrett (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2002 7:57PM GMT
I've heard this story many times from my dad, Ottis Garrett, who also was a witness. Daddy also showed me the cemetery where the gentleman was buried.

Posted: 6 Jul 2002 3:58AM GMT
Surnames: Garrett
My maternal gggrandmother was Tennessee Garrett. Kin?

Posted: 8 Jul 2002 1:10PM GMT
Surnames: Garrett, Taylor, Winningham, Hill, Smith
Yes, but I can't remember your exact branch, just the name of Tennessee. My line is Stephen & Magdalene, Elijah & Polly, Shadrach & Katie Angel, Shade & Electoran, Quince & Lola, Ottis & Marchie. You?

Posted: 8 Jul 2002 5:40PM GMT
Boy, that clan was not much for simple names;
My lIne;
Stephen & Magdelene (our connection)
Joshua Garrrett and Nancy Cope
Tennessee Garrett and Peter Booher Sr.
Peter Booher, Jr. and Aggie Beaty
Lurine Booher and John Dennie Little
Linda Little

I would love to hear your father's recollection of events for that day. I was asked to write something up for a newletter concerning the event and would love to have another recollection. If it's okay, I'd like to credit your family for it.

Linda

Posted: 8 Jul 2002 5:58PM GMT
Send me your e-mail and give me time to check my notes at home. I'm at work now.
Dianne
frankie.garrett@fleetguard.com

Jennie Booher Jones (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 2002 5:47PM GMT
Hello Linda, I believe your mom and my dad are cousins. Ask her if she remembers Albert "Towhead" Booher and my mom Lexie Hull Booher. they all went to school together at Bethsaida. Bethsaida is having its first school reunion this summer and would love for Lurine and Tonita to come. Artice, too, but I can ask him in person. My dad has also talked about this murder. He wasn't there, but he knew of it, with it being so close.

Chester York (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2002 4:44PM GMT
Who were your gggrandmothers parents? I have three Tennessee Garretts in my file..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions