Search for content in message boards

TIERNEYs in San Francisco

TIERNEYs in San Francisco

Posted: 29 Mar 2004 1:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jun 2006 2:43PM GMT
Surnames: Tierney
I am descended from San Francisco Tierneys.
The traditional names of Patrick, John, Peter, Margaret, etc. This was around the early 1800s.
My father was William James Tierney, his sister Julia and brother Peter (early 1900s).
Any SF Tierneys out there?

Re: TIERNEYs in San Francisco

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 2:16PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2006 1:36PM GMT
Hi Colleen,

I'm told that we used to have some relations in the SF area that another of the great uncles used to visit. Don't know if they were related to you or not. We're still trying to track everyone down. Do you have more information?

Our Tierney's originated on the Island of Inishbofin, Ireland between Co. Galway and Co. Mayo.

My great-grandmother was Mary Tierney, married to John Adams, and they lived in Berkley from 1890 to 1925 by which time both were deceased.

Posted: 1 Apr 2004 4:19AM GMT
Nicolas;
I have a Mary Tierney in my background and the dates fit. ( I also have a Nicolas Dillon I my background). I can attach a pedigree. I'm not sure this is proper in this medium though. What do you think? Shall I send it to you directly?
Colleen O'Shea Tierney

Posted: 2 Apr 2004 9:57PM GMT
Hello Colleen,

Some items to be aware of;

1) The 4 most common names for women of the 1800's in Ireland appear to be Mary, Margaret, Bridget, and Anne. At least that's what's happened in the Tierney clan that I'm aware of. There is no reason at the moment to believe that your Mary and mine are related. Mine was married before reaching California and even had 3 children in Penn. State.

2) I don't recognize the surname "Dillon". A list of the names that I'm most interested in appears at the end of this email.

3) I would be happy to look at your pedigree but you should be aware that it will be shared with my cousin, Tony Tierney. It can be posted on line here as part of a message, I've seen that done frequently, or emailed to me privately. My email address is obtainable by clicking on my "name" in the header published above.

4) You may want to edit the material, posted here or sent to me, so that living people are listed as just that; "living Tierney", "living Russell", etc. This preserves their identity and privacy.

Do you have more information that you could share with out going to so much trouble at the moment? Dates of birth, childrens names, spouse, place of birth, siblings, parents?

Researching:
Adams, Wagner, Knorr, Kroll, Kohlhaupt, Tierney, Benvenuti, Hull, Smith, Richards, Lavelle, Lacey, Concannon, Connolly, Coyne, Cunnane, Devalous, Dowling, Feeley, Gillooly, Wilson, Hannigan, King, McCormack, McDonnell, McHale, McLaren, McMullen, Murray, Naughton, O'Connor, O'Halloran, O'Toole, Pendergast, Schofield, West, Berasi, Cellana, Cozzaglio, Censullo, Cousolati, Crosina, Donati, Dalo, Flanagan, Graziotti, Patucelli, Prandi, Piantoni, Prenguber, Savolid, Santolini, Trenti, and a few others.

Posted: 3 Apr 2004 11:23PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jun 2006 2:41PM GMT
Surnames: Tierney, DILLON, O'SHEA
Nicolas:
Here's my list. I never met any of my father's family except his sister Julie (Julia).
My father (William James Tierney) was 4 months old in the 1906 earthquake.

Descendants of Patrick Tierney (My GGGrandfather)

1 Patrick TIERNEY b: 1835 in Ireland Occupation: June 10, 1880 laborer (SF census) Residence: June 10, 1880 Boardman Place, San Francisco, California

.. +Margaret DILLON b: 1843 in Ireland Residence: June 10, 1880 Boardman Place, San Francisco, California

........ 2 Peter TIERNEY b: 1871 California

........ 2 Julia TIERNEY b: 1873 California

........ 2 John James TIERNEY b: May 06, 1875 in San Francisco, California d: November 24, 1949 in San Francisco, California Occupation: January 04, 1906 Teamster (William Tierney's birth cert.) Residence: 1910 251 Boutwell St, San Francisco (1910 census)

............ +Margaret O'SHEA b: December 25, 1865

................... 3 Peter H TIERNEY b: 1905 California

................... 3 William James TIERNEY b: January 04, 1906 in (Town of) San Francisco, California d: August 1982 in San Francisco, California Occupation: Longshoreman 40 years Residence: January 04, 1906 17 Rausch St San Francisco, California
................... 3 Julia Ann TIERNEY b: April 29, 1908 in San Francisco, California d: February 15, 1964 in San Francisco, California Residence: 1930 123 Silliman St, San Francisco renting

........ 2 Maggy TIERNEY b: 1878 California

........ 2 Mary TIERNEY b: 1879 California

Posted: 4 Apr 2004 12:56AM GMT
Greetings Colleen,

Your Mary was being born about the time mine was leaving Inishboifn, Ire. My Mary Tierney b. 1845,Inishbofin, Ire., d. 1922, Berkley, California. We've lost track of her daugher Margaret (Adams) Hull, Margaret's daughters, and one other granddaughter, Aileen Adams.

Do you know Bryan Reichert per chance? His grandmother's brother was a Patrick Tierney that lived in California. Brian says he has a lot of cousins in California.

Posted: 19 Aug 2013 9:19PM GMT
My grandma aunt was a Catherine Mahon Buckley her daughter was Julia Buckley Tierney and she had a daugher Marg. Tierney McKenna. Catherine and husband James and there 5 children came to san francisco in the mid 1880's from Offley, Ireland. Childrens names were Mary Buckley Riffour,william dob 1873, Julia and Peter dob 1880.Catherine died in 1930, James 1912, Julia Buckley Tierney, Mary died 1899, Margaret Tierney McKenna died 1992.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic