Search for content in message boards

Question re COFFEE entries in Circuit Court minutes 1834-1844

Question re COFFEE entries in Circuit Court minutes 1834-1844

Posted: 10 Aug 2007 12:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coffee, Walthall
Juliet C. COFFEE and Joel T. COFFEE are both referenced in several pages of recorded minutes.

Could anyone tell me how to get more information from these records; or have access to them for lookups?

Specifically, Juliet and Joel are both mentioned on pgs 148 & 149. Joel T. has numerous other entries ranging from pg 9 through 513...I'm actually not sure if these are pages or line or case numbers.

I have a copy of a letter written by Juliet written in Jan. 1845 stating she was en route from Van Buren, AR to Livingston,TN "to try and make settlement with the clerk and county court respecting Mr. Walthall's business". Pleasant Thornton WALTHALL was her second husband.

Any help I can get will be much appreciated...I've been tracing these ancestors for a long time.

Thanks,
Angh

Re: Question re COFFEE entries in Circuit Court minutes 1834-1844

Posted: 8 Oct 2007 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: Windle, Ellis, Dabney, Hogan, Sevier, Sherrill, Coffee
Juliet Cantrell Windle (October 24, 1807 - 1893) was the daughter of Joseph Hawkins Windle & Joanna Goad Sevier and the granddaughter of Colonel John Sevier (1st Gov. of TN, and only Gov. of the State of Franklin) and his 2nd wife "Bonnie Kate" Catherine Sherrill. Juliet married Joel T. Coffee, not sure exactly when. I am not sure of their children but believe them to possibly be: 1) daughter, Frances A. who married before 1842 to John W. Patrick, 2)Joseph P. (1828), and J. Thomas (1833).

Juliet Cantrell Windle Coffee married 2nd, Pleasant Thornton Walthall by June of 1838. They had Mary (1838), John (Nov. 27, 1839) and Juliet Thornton (March 23, 1844). (My descent through Juliet Thornton Walthall)

Juliet Cantrell Windle Coffee Walthall married 3rd, Samuel Ellis and had Ruth Ann (1849). Ruth Ann later married a Dabney.
---------------------------------------------------------
I would so much like to have a copy of the letter you have from Juliet. Please e-mail me direct: memobo@fidnet.com and I will share more about my descent and the other info I have on Juliet Cantrell Windle.
---------------------------------------------------------
My Juliet Thornton Walthall married George Vincent Hogan of Overton Co. and they pioneered to Dent Co., MO. Little sister Ruth Ann Ellis Dabney also made the move to Missouri.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 19 Nov 2007 3:40AM GMT
Surnames: Coffee, Daniel, Patrick, Sevier
"My Juliet Thornton Walthall married George Vincent Hogan of Overton Co. and they pioneered to Dent Co., MO. Little sister Ruth Ann Ellis Dabney also made the move to Missouri."

I found your family, or at least Ruth Dabney in Dent Co. in 1920. Do you know when they migrated, and why Dent Co. in particular?

I still have no info on Joel Thomas Coffee except that he must have been dead or divorced by 1838.

Are you a member of the Sevier Family Association?

Anyhow, nice to meet ya cuz...:)

Re: One Question re JOEL T. COFFEE Answered

Posted: 4 Dec 2007 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: COFFEE, WINDLE
Googling digitized BOOKS, I found an 1846 TN Supreme Court case re Windle vs. Coffee. In the body of that document it states that Joel T. Coffee died in March of 1837.

Now if I could find a DOB on him I'd be done with THAT part of my family history.

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 3:35PM GMT
I have a copy of the Overton County Roll Call Book and it states that Joel T. Coffee is buried in the Fellowship Cem, Overton Co., TN. His birth date is 4-17-1835, D-03-07-1906. He was in Co. C, 28th Inf. (See pages 50 and 90 of Echoes. Overton Co., Tn.) There is a Juda B. Heard Coffee B-7-04-1831, D-9-03-1917, listed as the widow of Joel T.Coffee. She is also the grandma of Frances E. and George H.

I don't know if this is the person you are seeking info. on, but this is the only one that I have found in this particular reference book.

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: Windle, Coffee, Walthall, Ellis, Heard, Patrick, Morton
I think the Joel T. Coffee you refer to is the son of "my" Joel T. Coffee and Juliet C. Windle, who married in 1823-24. 'Your' Joel T. was married to Judith (aka Judy) Heard.

Questions arise with so many Joels, and a surprising number of Juliets back then, but 'my' Joel had to be out of the picture, by death or divorce, as my Juliet married P.T. Walthall in 1837-1838, then again, Samuel Ellis.

Sevier family Historian Nancy Madden wrote me years ago and said that Juliet "may have had as many as 13 children" with her husbands.

Only one of her children is direct to me, Frances A. Coffee Patrick b. abt. 1825, who kind of slipped through the cracks of time...there are very few references to her. I'm lucky to have found everything but her DoD and place of burial; her husband John Walker Patrick married his second wife Nancy A. Morton in Oregon in 1851 and they lived happily ever after, to die in Montana.

It remains unknown if Patrick was a widower, a divorced man or a bigamist, but it's an interesting mystery.

Posted: 8 Dec 2007 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: Hogan
The Hogans migrated just prior to the Civil War to Howes Mill area of Dent Co., MO.
When the Civil War began, George Vincent took his family back to TN and left them there returning to serve with the Union forces from MO. The tradition is that his brothers & brother-in-laws all served with the Confederate forces.
When the war was over George Hogan returned to TN to get his family. The farm is still in the Hogan family at this time.

Posted: 19 Aug 2010 1:37AM GMT
WHEN did they migrate to Dent Co., Missouri... My relatives from Overton County also migrated to Dent Co Mo around 1867.

sjr623@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic