Search for content in message boards

DAR Lookup - James Archer

DAR Lookup - James Archer

Dylan Armstrong (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2005 5:25PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Archer, Hupp
My Great Aunt Dorothy Hupp Ward was a member of trhe DAR and I am trying to find out the information that she used so that I can join the SAR. The ancestor that we share in common is Capt. James Archer from Virginia. He served in Captain David Owens Company of Frontier Rangers in 1776 as ensign, then succeeded him as Captain. James Archer's name appears in War Department Records showing that he served the the Revolutionary War as a Lieutenant with his name mentioned on a return from Monongalia County, Virginia for the expedition to the Indian Country". He also served as a Captain in the First Battalion Pennsylvania Militia in Washington County in 1782.
I would love to validate that she was a member and find out what I would need to do next.
Thank you very much for your help!

Re: DAR Lookup - James Archer

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 1:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Archer
Hi Dylan,

We found the following information in our DAR Patriot Index:
ARCHER , James
Birth: VA 1747
Service: VA
Death: OH 1830
Patriot Pensioned: No
Widow Pensioned: No
Children Pensioned: No
Heirs Pensioned: No
Spouse: (1) Jane Lincicome

You can order a record copy of Dorothy Hupp Ward's application. To do this send a $10 check made out to Treasurer General NSDAR and send as much information as you have on Dorothy - all names, where she was or may have been a member, her date of birth, her date of death, and include the ancestor information listed above. Be sure to note it is Dorothy's application you want. The record copy is an actual copy of her application and will give you the line Dorothy used to get back to James Archer as well as any sources of proof she used along with names, dates, and locations she provided.

Mail the check and information to: Record Copy, Office of the Registrar General, 1776 D Street NW, Washington DC 20006-5303. Please allow 6 - 8 weeks to receive the copy as they are a very busy office.

You could also request (1 request per envelope) the most recent application on James Archer, which may or may not be Dorothy's, if you need futher information after you reveive Dorothy's application.

If we can assist further let us know.
Good luck completing your SAR application.

Regards
Gail Terry

This is a free look up service provided by DAR VIS volunteers at the DAR message board

Dylan Armstrong (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2005 1:03PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2005 6:35AM GMT
Surnames: Archer
Thanks a lot, Gail!
This is a GREAT service you ladies are doing!
I think people would know more about American History if they had some physical connection to it!

Thanks again!
DYlan

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 10:08PM GMT
Hi Dylan,
Have you joined the SAR? We had some new members join the Capt James Neal Chapter in Parkersburg, WV this past year under James Archer. Let me know if you need any help.

Brent Sams

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 6:03PM GMT
Hi Dylan

I am sorry, I do not find a Dorothy Hupp Ward as a member of DAR. This doesn't mean she wasn't - I just do not locate her.

Are you aware of the DAR Genealogical Research System (GRS)? It is available for the public to search and is based on applicaitons submitted to the DAR since it began in 1890.

Go to dar.org
Click on Genealogy
Click on Online Research and GRS
Click on Ancestor and type in James Archer
Click on the correct James Archer
Click on the various links and you may pic, up some useful information.

Let me know if I can assist further.
Gail
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions