Search for content in message boards

Emerich Betsy

Emerich Betsy

A. Magazzu (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2004 3:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2012 11:48AM GMT
Surnames: Betsy
In 1854, Emerich Betsy had a Fortepiano Piano Factory in WEIN, (address - Wieden, Mitterstein NO.13). He won awards at the 1854, German Exposition for Industry and Trades. Who was Emerich Betsy? He must have been well known in Vienna, as his pianos are substantial in construction. All research has revealed nothing. Any details on his life and family will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:

Re: Emerich Bétsy

Posted: 7 Sep 2004 9:12PM GMT
Very interesting, I don't know about the person or the factory, just have a comment on his name as written on the picture.
As English has Vienna for Wien, in Hungarian it's called Bécs, it means Fancy (place).
On the picture it's written as Bétsy with old Hungarian grammar. In it, the letter "é" is a separate Hungarian letter, the "ts" letter combination was a separate letter in the Hungarian alphabet, now it's "cs" and sounding like "ch". Finally at the end, the letter "y" is a fancy possessive affix, attributing to that person belonging to that place, like a New York(er).
Combining the above with the tradition, that the most talented crafstman gravitated to Vienna in the Monarchia, in my opinion Bétsy wasn't his original surname, but as a business name first, in it preserving his Hungarian heritage, than in time become his new, real name Emerich von Betsy, as some websites showing it.
If I may ask, what's your interest in it, do you own one of his pianos? I saw the price range from 3-5 Thou.

A. Magazzu (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2004 12:17AM GMT
The 3K to 5K figure you are finding is most misleading, as it can cost many times that figure to restore one of these pianos. We have only located five other Emerich Betsy instruments remaining in the world, a few of which you may have seen. As a fully restored antique, this seven foot piano has a rather high value to a collector, but little value to somebody who just wants a good piano to practice on. The early type Viennese style action will not repeat as fast as a modern piano, which makes the instrument unsuitable for modern artists or serious pianists. We are restoring one of these pianos for a customer, who has asked us to research its history. We have restored thousands of pianos and find it most unusual that a piano maker, capable of building such large pianos, to a high degree of precision with the best of materials and deftly perfect workmanship, is not known as a true Austrian Treasure! Thanks for your comments-- they deserve very careful consideration-- most interesting. We have people in England and Germany working on this and I will send it along. Again, many thanks. www.pianosrebuilt.com

Posted: 14 Sep 2004 12:07PM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2004 10:19AM GMT
Surnames: Betsy
Hi,

just a few ideas:

> ... find it most unusual that a piano maker, capable of building such large pianos, to a high degree of precision with the best of materials and deftly perfect workmanship, is not known as a true Austrian Treasure! <

That's a well known phenomenon here in Vienna - unfortunately.

As to information on Emmerich Betsy, you might try the 'Landesarchiv' for more:

- Wiener Stadt- und Landesarchiv, Wiener Rathaus (Vienna Archives, records division)
Meldereferat, Magistratsabteilung 8,
1082 Wien 8.,
AUSTRIA, Europe
e-mail: post@m08.magwien.gv.at
http://www.magwien.gv.at/ma08

Maybe they've still got something on Betsy's pianos

Tilman

A. Magazzu (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2004 1:43PM GMT
Thank you so much for your comments-- we will give that a try, although language has been a major barrier, to be sure.

I was wondering, as you are in Vienna, is there any chance you might look into this for us? We would compensate you for your time. If so, send me an email address where I can contact you directly.

Just a thought.

Andy

Lajos Reich (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2004 2:17PM GMT
Try to ask Mr Adam Fellegi, who is world-famous Hungarian pianinist and know all about the pianinos. His e-address is:
fellegiadam@musichello.com
Lajos Reich, Hungary

Posted: 14 Sep 2004 4:46PM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2004 10:19AM GMT
Hi,

simply clicking on any author's name will show you the email address. It's a graphical version (in order to discourage address-harvesting from the web) - if you can't read it well, just press F5 or refresh and you get a new picture ...

Tilman

A. Magazzu (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2004 6:05PM GMT
Many Thanks,..

Hope he speak English-- that has been a problem.

Andy

Re: Emericn Betsy

Posted: 23 Nov 2010 11:05AM GMT
Following on this old thread I would like to state that I own such a piece, partially restored, in need of more work, willing to sell it. Contact me if interested.

Re: Emerich Betsy

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 12:34AM GMT
i have information about one of these piano and i know where is that one an if you want could someone gave me your email..... who is interested with it and i will tell you everything about it
per page

Find a board about a specific topic