Search for content in message boards

Where is Little Cove in Franklin County, Pennsylvania?

Where is Little Cove in Franklin County, Pennsylvania?

Posted: 29 May 2005 12:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shelby, Study
I am attempting to discover how to locate and drive to Little Cove in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. It is the ancestral home of some Shelbys in my wife's lineage. Little Cove's location is described in one book as ... 'a triangular valley on the east side of Cove Mountain; west is Tuscarora Mountain and south is the Maryland State line. Welsh Run is nearby and it is near to Conolloway's Creek. Christian Study's stone house, bought in 1789 from Evan Shelby, still stands in Little Cove.'

If you think that you can direct me to the location of this area called Little Cove in Pennsylvania, I should like to have a message from you.

Re: Where is Little Cove in Franklin County, Pennsylvania?

May (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2005 3:07PM GMT
I believe that what you a re looking for is Cove Gap, Pa There is also Big Cove and Little Cove Gap close by . They are located just west of Mercersburg, Pa. Try this link to see where that is.

http://aolsvc.maps.aol.com/travel/main.dci?function=addressM...

You also might try calling the Library in Chambersburg, Pa and verify that or call the
Kittochtinny Historical Society
175 E King St
Chambersburg, PA 17201
Main Phone: 717-264-1667

They will be able to help you

Posted: 30 May 2005 4:15PM GMT
Thank you, May.

Posted: 30 May 2005 7:04PM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2005 6:22PM GMT
Dear Francis: (Keenan)

I just took a quick look at my Pennsylvania Atlas & Gazetteer (DeLORME) and found a Welsh Run, in Franklin Co., PA, which is at the intersection of Rts. 995 and 416.

Welsh Run is about 6 miles south/west of Greencastle, about 12 miles west of Waynesboro and about 2 miles north of the Maryland border (Mason and Dixon Line).

A Cove Mountain is located about 6 miles west of Welsh Run. No luck on the other locations.

Good luck, Jack Novicki

Posted: 30 May 2005 7:19PM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2005 6:22PM GMT
Francis:

I just found a "Little Cove Creek" running between Cove Mountain and Tuscarora Mountain. This creek is about 12 miles from Welsh Run. So it looks like we are in the correct area.

Regards, Jack Novicki

Posted: 30 May 2005 8:07PM GMT
Hello Jack: I appreciate your effort in my behalf. I am beginning to get the picture vis-a-vis the location of Little Cove. Your words narrow the region for me. The Little Cove was the home of my wife's 7th paternal great grandfather in the 1700's. We desire to visit the area from our home in western New York. It will be a five hour ride one way.

Again, thank you for the assist.

Posted: 30 May 2005 8:08PM GMT
Okay Jack and thanks for the latest on Welsh Run.

Francis

Posted: 7 Jun 2005 12:32AM GMT
Surnames: Shelby, Study
I have been receiving some assistance. However, it seems that Little Cove is a very large geographic area. Also, the roads there in the Revolutionary War period may not have been in the same places that they are now.

I have another piece of information that may help anyone who is familiar with the area in telling me where the homestead of my wife's ancestor was. Evan Shelby, her ancestor, sold his land, about 100 acres, to Christian Study in 1789. Christian built a stone house upon the site of Evan Shelby's cabin in Little Cove. I have a photograph of the stone house; it appears in a published family history book about the Shelbys. The caption below the photograph indicates it likely that the stones in the Christian Study house were taken from a nearby mountain named Iron Mountain.

So, if anyone knows where Iron Mountain in Little Cove, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, is, I should appreciate a message from you.

Posted: 7 Jun 2005 3:56PM GMT
I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT LITTLE COVE OF TODAY, AND A LITTLE BIT ABOUT ITS HISTORY. I HAVE TO SAY I NEVER HEARD ANY OF THE LOCALS REFER TO IRON MOUNTIAN.

Posted: 9 Jun 2005 7:21PM GMT
Surnames: Shelby
I now have directions to the site of Evan Shelby's home in the 18th century in Little Cove, Franklin County, PA. I extend my heartfelt thanks to all who assisted me in locating this site and with instructions concerning how to reach it. Franklin County has a great bunch of people watching this message board and assisting others with information about the county. Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions