Search for content in message boards

Jesse Blythe/Drake

Jesse Blythe/Drake

Chet Blythe (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2003 6:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blythe/Drake
Anyone have information on Jesse Blythe who may have been born "Jesse Drake"? He was born ca. 1803, Southampton County and died 1865, Southampton County. He had a brother, Dempsey Blythe (Dempsey Drake) and a half brother William Blythe. Both Jesse and Dempsey began using the surname Blythe about 1835 - 1840.

Re: Jesse Blythe/Drake

Posted: 27 Apr 2010 3:35PM GMT
My great great great grandfather was Jesse Blythe. He was born in 1806. His son was Archibald and Archibald's son was my great grandfather Tony (whose middle name was Dempsey). My grandmother Lucy was Tony's oldest child.

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 5:03PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Drake, Blythe, Scott, Mingo, Pretlow
Though unrelated, I have been looking into the sad tale of James Scott, family and friends. In late 1840, Thomas Drake broke into the Scott home in search of a reputed stash of money. When found out, he killed Mr. and Mrs. Scott, Lydia Mingo (labelled "free negro," her infant son Seth, and Mrs. Scott's sister (Mrs. Pretlow).Another little girl, daughter of Ms. Mingo, hid in a breadbox (!), then ran away to a neighbor's house. Drake then set the house on fire and left. Later, the little girl identified Drake as the perpetrator, and he was found to have "blood in his whiskers" and incriminating clothes at home. Subsequently he was convicted and put to death, never having found the stash of silver.

So what does that have to do with your question? The widow, Maria Drake, later "took up with" Mr. Blythe and had some children with him, but never married him. My understanding is that her Drake children also took the Blythe name.

All of this was documented in the newspapers, which can now be found online. :) Maria Drake/Blythe's will is also available online now, through the Brantly Association's excellent website. Also online are the deeds that Thomas Drake signed, I think the day after the crimes, "selling" his property to his brothers... probably to protect them from being taken.

My interest is in the unidentified, brave little girl. My hypothesis is that she is the same Cherry Mingo, "free negro," about nine years old, who was bound out to my ancestor, Hezekiah Bradshaw, shortly after the crime, and lived with him for many years. Afro-american orphans who were free but did not have assets to cover their care were bound out to persons who promised to give them care and shelter, teach them a trade as an apprentice, and give them a small sum of money/personal property when they reached adulthood.

And so ends the answer to your 6-year question... unless, of course, you already knew it. No, I'm not a history professor, but this story captivated me.

Nancy

Posted: 24 Aug 2013 2:06PM GMT
I found a marriage record for Jesse Drake and Lavina Wester. They were married January 2, 1835. My relative Jesse Blythe married Lavina Wester. Jesse's grave marker states he was born January 1800 and died April 8, 1865. Hope this helps. Thank you for posting your information or I never would have known he was a "Drake".

Posted: 19 Jul 2014 6:33PM GMT
Hi, Arlene. Jesse obtained a marriage bond as Jesse Drake but when he and Lavina (aka Viney) were married he was married as Jesse Blythe. I stopped the research a few years ago but have recently begun again. No luck so far. I will post any new findings.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic