Search for content in message boards

Beach, Gibbs

Beach, Gibbs

Hoss Toponce (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

I am trying to find information on Rufus Beach, bn 8 May 1796 in Roxbury, Litchfield, CT. to John & Sarah Beach. This information comes from his writings, I have no other info on him or his parents.

I am also looking for information on Lovell Gibbs, bn 23 Aug. 1763 in Litchfield, Litchfield, Ct, and his family. His son, Horace was bn 23 Mar. 1787 in New Lebanon, Albany, New York. I have no other information on any siblings.
lings.

Re: Beach, Gibbs

Donald Frank Gibbs (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT

Dear Hoss: I can help with information on Lovell ancestors if you so desire. A brief linage that I have is as follows: Lovell was the son of Gershom and Lovell had 4 brothers and a sister. Gershom was born in Litchfield, Ct., and was the son of Benjamin born in Windsor, Ct. Benjamin was the son of Samuel born in Southwest England and came to America as a child with his father, Giles, in 1633. I descend from Gershom's brother, Zadock. I have worked on Gibbs geneology for 15 years; been to Litchfield, Ct., a number of times. I sure am willing to help with what I know and always interested in corresponding with Giles Gibbs descendants in order acquire more information. Don Gibbs.Don Gibbs.

Re: Beach, Gibbs

Posted: 30 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT

Donald; my line connects in two places in the gibbs line. The 1st is through Lovell Gibbs (I have most of his ancestry through Giles) and through Horace Gibbs' wife, Elinda Mack, who's mother was Lydia Gibbs, Zadock Gibb's daughter. Which child of Zadock does your line come through?

My main search is for the rest of Lovell Gibbs' children (he had 5), his second marriage, and the rest of Horace Gibbs' children (he had 11 according to the 1830 census, I have only located three). Lovell was born in Litchfield, Ct. but moved to New York before Horace was born. Horace was born in ,Lebanon, New York in 1785. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Hoss Toponce

Re: BEACH, GIBBS

Donald Frank Gibbs (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT

Hoss: I descend from Zadock 2nd's son, David, born in West Cornwall Vt. by Zadock 2nd's 4th wife, Lydia Hewitt. I assume your Lydia Gibbs'(born 15 March 1784) parents were Zadock 2nd and wife #2 Sarah Stone. Zadock 1st and wife, Lydia Townsend also had a daughter, Lydia, born 25 Feb 1754 who married Stephen Brown of Spenses Corners, Dutchess County, NY. I have no information on Lydia Gibbs born 15 March 1784, but I am confused why Zadock 2nd's last child by wife #4 was named Lydia although she died at 2 yrs old. Zadock 2nd and his 3rd wife, Sarah Hall divorced. (This is the only divorce in my direct line in 364 years). They had 1 son, Amherst who I have never located. If you so desire, I can give you considerable information on both Zadocks' families. I would like what information you have on Lovell's and Horace's families. In reviewing the locations of 1850 names in my computer program, I had no one in Madison County, NY, which is the county, Lebanon, located. I am always looking for Gibbses to compare notes with. I am especially interested in Vermont and Massachusetts Gibbses. I live in Michigan. Donald Frank Gibbs

Re: BEACH, GIBBS

Posted: 1 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT

Don, the Lydia Gibbs that my line comes through is the daughter of Zadock Gibbs, Sr., the sister of your Zadock the 2nd. I appriciate the info on Zadock, Jr. I only had two of his wives documented, one of them was Lydia Hewitt, although I had her listed as Lydia Landers. Can you tell me if she was married before or after Zadock,Jr. or if my other surname for her is off base? I have a copy of the booklet "Gibbs Family in America" where I came across a lot of the information about my line and where it connects but it doesn't go much farther than Lovell or Zadock, Jr. so any info you want to share about your line would be greatly appreciated and I would be more than happy to reciprocate. I can e-mail you through your regular address and attach a ged.com if you wish. Lovell & Horace Gibbs moved to Batavia, Genessee, New York in about 1810, Horace's 1st child was born there in 1812. This is probably why they don't show in the 1850 census for NY. Horace moved to Utah in 1849 and shows up there in the 1850 census. You didn't tell what part of Michigan you are living in. The Beach line that I am tracing is that of Rufus Beach who married Laura Ann Gibbs, Horace's Daughter. He bought land in Wayne County in 1825 right after they opened the Erie canal. His place of reidence in 1833 is listed as Lavonia,Wayne Co., Michigan. I would appreciate any help that you can or may provide. Hoss Toponce

change of e-mail address

Posted: 24 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2003 9:31PM GMT
Surnames: GIBBS, BEACH, MACK
Anyone wanting to respond to me. My new address is hoss@aculink.net I'm still searching for information on Lovell GIBBS. I know that he had two wives but I only have information on one child, Horace Gibbs, bn 1785 in New York. I would appreciate any info on this family.

Gershom Gibbs

Posted: 19 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 May 2004 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: GIBBS, CATLIN, MOORE
Just beginning to research my Litchfield, CT ancestors. I know that my gggrandfather, Birdsey GIBBS was b.10Feb1798, and married Emily CATLIN on 11Sep1829. I think Birdsey's father was Moore GIBBS b.12Jan1757. Perhaps Moore's (or More's) father was Gershom GIBBS who married Tabitha MOORE. Any information that you could supply would be much appreciated.

Birdsey Gibbs

Posted: 20 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 May 2004 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: GIBBS
This is so exciting! My nephew has worked on our tree off and on for years, but since I have retired, he has me working on this and I love it. We just found out this year that our ancestor was named "Birdsey" Gibbs and we thought he was from NY. We had traced Emily's birthplace to CT, but didn't know her last name. I am a descendant of their only son, David M. Gibbs, b.1839 in Kingston, NY. We don't know why he was born in NY because the two oldest daughters were born in CT., Emma Salome and Anna. The two younger ones were born in Henderson, KY, Helen and Josephine. In the 1840 census, they all were living in Henderson and Emily was widowed by the 1850 census. I have been trying to find out Birdsey's date of death and I was surprised to see that he had been married once before. We thought Birdsey was an educator. Emily never remarried and lived to the age of 82 in Henderson. I don't think there was any connection with a Gibbs Foundry. I have been trying to find out why they migrated to Henderson. One of the "sureties" at the Gibbs/Trafton marriage was a W.W.Catlin, b.NY. I think, perhaps, he was a relative that brought the Gibbs to Henderson. I have an autograph book of my grandmother's signed by Emily at the age of 80. Their daughter Helen (my grandmother's namesake) played a prominent part in Henderson history. Her first husband was Lucas Trafton, an attorney and elected official. Their son, Spaulding, was also a well-known public official and newspaperman. Helen Gibbs Trafton, then married a Mr. McClain, who we believe was associated with coal mining in Henderson. My great grandfather, David, migrated to Arkansas. He was a druggist. His only child was my grandmother, Helen Emily Gibbs. David married Emma Elizabeth Whiting in Helena, Arkansas. I would love to get more information concerning my CT ancestors. Thanks so much for your response.
Pat Verner
Slidell, LA

Birdsey Gibbs

Don Gibbs (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gibbs, Moore, Catlin, Skeels, Salome
Patrica,So nice to find a Birdsey Gibbs descendant. Birdsey b 10 Feb 1798 Litchfield Co. Ct., d 1843 Henderson Ky., 1st wife Salome d Litchfield Co. Ct, buried Blue Swamp Road Cemetary Litchfield Co. Ct., 2nd wife Emmmily Catlin, His Gibbs ancestors-Moore-Gershom-Benjamin-Samuel-Giles who came from England in 1633. Were any of Birdsey's descendants connected to the Gibbs Foundry at Henderson Ky,? Birdsey was a minister at Litchfield. Can get you more information later. Please start filling me in on Birdsey. Don Gibbs Onondaga Michigan

Re: Birdsey Gibbs

Posted: 22 Jun 2002 12:55PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jan 2004 8:07PM GMT
Surnames: Gibbs, Bush, Elmore
Hi,

I'm interested in the Samuel Gibbs you list as an ancestor of Birdsey. Can you tell me more about him? I'm looking for a Samuel Gibbs of Litchfield from the 1700's but have nearly nothing to go on...Descendants move to Rennselaer Co, NY area if that helps.

Any assistance appreciated!
Cyndi in Baltimore
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions