think this is probably the same family? my connection is to Isaac Newton Shanely.....
don't get to Sidney more than about once a year... so afraid i'm not any help on the obit......
steve koons, dayton, ohio
Descendants of Nicholas Gross
Generation No. 1
1. NICHOLAS1 GROSS was born January 17, 1794 in Wimmenau, Alsace, France, and died December 12, 1862 in Auglaize Co, Ohio. He married CHRISTINE ELIZABETH KLOPFENSTEIN June 10, 1814 in Alsace Lorraine, France. She was born December 23, 1793 in Wingen Sur Moder, Alsace, France, and died June 10, 1877 in Auglaize Co, Ohio.
Children of NICHOLAS GROSS and CHRISTINE KLOPFENSTEIN are:
i. PHILIP CHRISTIAN2 GROSS.
ii. SOPHIE GROSS.
iii. JACOB GROSS.
iv. ELIZABETH GROSS.
Notes for ELIZABETH GROSS:
Elizabeth died in France at age 1 year.
v. CATHERINE GROSS.
vi. ELIZABETH GROSS.
2. vii. MICHAEL GROSS, b. November 16, 1816, Wingen Sur Moder, Alsace, France; d. March 19, 1859, Auglaize Co, Ohio.
3. viii. NICHOLAS GROSS, b. December 18, 1818.
Generation No. 2
2. MICHAEL2 GROSS (NICHOLAS1) was born November 16, 1816 in Wingen Sur Moder, Alsace, France, and died March 19, 1859 in Auglaize Co, Ohio. He married ELIZABETH LEININGER. She was born January 20, 1819 in Rothbach, Alsace, France, and died August 19, 1898 in Jackson Twp, Shelby Co, Ohio.
Children of MICHAEL GROSS and ELIZABETH LEININGER are:
i. PHILIP3 GROSS.
ii. MICHAEL GROSS.
iii. JACOB GROSS.
iv. SALOME GROSS.
v. GEORGE LOUISA GROSS.
vi. ELIZABETH GROSS.
vii. CAROLINA GROSS.
4. viii. LOUIS GROSS, b. January 10, 1844, Auglaize Co, Ohio; d. February 28, 1934.
3. NICHOLAS2 GROSS (NICHOLAS1) was born December 18, 1818. He married (1) CATHERINE RINEHART 1841. She was born in Germany, and died February 1869. He married (2) ELIZABETH LININGER June 18, 1869. She was born January 20, 1819 in Germany.
Notes for NICHOLAS GROSS:
From 1883 Sutton History of Shelby County; page 215:
NICHOLAS GROSS, son of Nicholas and Elizabeth Gross, was born in Germany, December 18, 1818. When he had attained the age of nine years, or in 1827, his parents emigrated to America, and located in Stark County, Ohio, where young Gross grew to manhood on a farm. In 1841 he married Miss Catharine Rinehart, a native of Germany. Soon after his marriage he moved to Auglaize County, Ohio, and settled on a farm four miles southeast of St. Johns in Clay Township, remained until 1850, when he came to Shelby County, and settled near Plattsville in Green Township, remained about two years, or until 1852, when he came to Jackson Township, purchased, and settled on the farm in section 33, on which he now resides. He has made farming his principal vocation through life, and now owns a farm of three hundred and seventy acres of good land in Jackson Township, on which he is conducting the business of farming with success, and is classed among the leading farmers in the county. He reared a family of eleven children, viz., Elizabeth, Christian, Abraham, Caroline, Sophia, Samuel, Magdalena, Sarah, Daniel, Catharine, and Solomon, all of whom are yet living except Abraham, who died in 1862. His son Christian served in the war of 1861. His companion died in February, 1869. On the 18th of June, 1869, he married Mrs. Elizabeth Gross 'nee Lininger, a native of Germany, where she was born January 20, 1819, with whom he is now living.
Children of NICHOLAS GROSS and CATHERINE RINEHART are:
i. ELIZABETH3 GROSS.
ii. CHRISTIAN GROSS.
iii. ABRAHAM GROSS.
iv. CAROLINE GROSS.
v. SOPHIA GROSS.
vi. SAMUEL GROSS.
vii. MAGDALENA GROSS.
viii. SARAH GROSS.
ix. DANIEL GROSS.
x. CATHARINE GROSS.
xi. SOLOMON GROSS.
Generation No. 3
4. LOUIS3 GROSS (MICHAEL2, NICHOLAS1) was born January 10, 1844 in Auglaize Co, Ohio, and died February 28, 1934. He married SOPHIA AMELIA GEYER. She was born 1846, and died October 09, 1897 in Bloomfield Twp, Logan Co, Ohio.
Children of LOUIS GROSS and SOPHIA GEYER are:
i. BERTHA GERTRUDE4 GROSS, b. April 21, 1862.
ii. CORA E. GROSS, b. 1879; d. 1969; m. ISAAC NEWTON SHANELY, January 01, 1907; b. August 16, 1879, Champaign Co, Ohio; d. August 03, 1948.
Notes for ISAAC NEWTON SHANELY:
Notes from Shirely Mae Holder list a child of Isaac and Barbara named Newton...
maybe this Isaac's middle name is Newton, since the initial is "N"?
More About ISAAC NEWTON SHANELY:
Burial: Rosedale Cemetery, Carysville, Ohio