Search for content in message boards

Nottingham Lace Workers - MARSHALL

Nottingham Lace Workers - MARSHALL

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 10:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Marshall
My great-grandfather, Henry Frederick Marshall was born in France 1875/7. His father, who came from Nottingham, worked in the lace industry and was also named Henry Frederick Marshall. I do not know how to trace Henry's birth and the marriage of his parents may also have been in France.I also wondered if there are records of the workers who went to France from Nottingham. I would be grateful for any help or information. Judith

Re: Nottingham Lace Workers - MARSHALL

Posted: 20 Nov 2007 9:31PM GMT
I am also looking at tracing a nottingham lace worker who was born in Calais c1844. He is John West his mother went to Calais between 1840 - 1842 and returned to Nottingham 1848-1852. Cant trace father.She returned with 5 children! she must have done reasonably well as she opened a drapers shop in Nottingham. Have you managed to find a data base that can help? Or will this be a "Dead End" on my tree as well. John West was my great Grandfather so not very far back really.

Posted: 24 Nov 2007 10:09PM GMT
I have large holdings of calais records - I don't have Frederick Narshall's birth but I have Marshalls in Calais a bit earlier. Contact me directly and I will do a search for you,

Gillian Kelly

Re: Nottingham Lace Workers - Russell

Posted: 25 Dec 2007 6:01PM GMT
Surnames: RUSSELL
Hi Gillian, I saw your reply to another member and wondered if you could help me? My family name is Russell and I am seeking either John Russell or John W Russell who were lacemakers in Calais in the 1800s. My grandfather Thomas Russell was born in France in 1898 and the 1901 Census Nottingham England lists his father John William) as British Subject born in France about 1867. We beleive his father John was also born in France. If it helps my ggrandmother was French (Rose Louise Richard) born 1871. I hope you can help, but if not, Merry Christmas and Best Regards Frank.

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Hi Gillian,

Have you any Smiths in your Calais records? My wife's grandfather, Henry Smith was born in Calais in 1901. His father was William Smith, a lacemaker, and mother Pauline Dieffenbach. He also had a brother, William. I would be very greatful if you could have a look for me. I believe the family were originally from Nottingham & William junior returned there.

Thanks

Re: Nottingham Lace Workers -West

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 9:35PM GMT
There were several West laceworkers inCalais in that period.
I have two Johns born c 1844 - on is John Walter Hart West born 27 August 1844 the son of John West & Mary Hart. living rue du Temple. and the other is John West son of john West & Annfrost born 29 August 1843, parents living rue du Temple.

John West & Ann Frost had five children while inCalais.

Have more details on these families if you have an interest. The family is most likely to have left Calais in 1848 - mass exodus during the revolution of that year.

Gillian

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 9:40PM GMT
There were many Smith families there and they stayed! Unfortunately my data bases don't go much past the 1870s - do yu know where Pauline was born? If you can give me any more clues - even vague ones I'll try to fnd some links for you

Re: Nottingham Lace Workers - sanders

Posted: 16 Apr 2008 5:57PM GMT
Hello Gillian, just been reading the thread regarding Nottm Lacemakers. My family George and Harriett Sanders went to France, their daughter Jane was born there in 1872. Their period in France seems to be much later. George was born 1846 in Nottingham. The family are not on the English census of 1871. As you seem to have done research into this, I wondered if you had any ideas or records of them.
Di

William Branson and Carr Family of Parracombe and Funny Hill

Posted: 29 Oct 2008 11:23AM GMT
Surnames: Hartley Carr Branson
Gillian, belated congratulations re the honour. I had been trying to contact you but previous email address didn't seem to work. Did I tell you I managed to track down a copy of Garnet's publication 'The Carr Family of Parracombe and Funny Hill? I was amazed to see my father mentioned matter of factly as Arthur's other son on page 21. I thought it was nice of Garnet to do so. I tracked down my copy of the 42 page history in Devon. Also contacted the Anglican church in Binda regarding William Branson's missing death certificate. They confirmed his death occurred in 1884 and copied me the brief parish record but it appears no NSW death certificate per se was ever completed for him. Cheers, Doug

Re: William Branson and Carr Family of Parracombe and Funny Hill

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 8:57PM GMT
Surnames: PARKES WARD
Hi Everyone
I am descended from the Parkes who ended up in Sydney via Lille, Belgium and Nottingham. I haven't had much success finding them in Nottingham before they left for France/Belgium but....
I have had a huge amount of success in Brugge. One of the sons (my 3rd great grandfather) married a Belgian Lass from Brugge (Bruges) who I found when looking at the frensch birth certificates of their children (he remarried after she died and this 2nd wife came to Oz). I have visited Brugge twice this year and although the records are in a mix of dutch french and latin I found the staff very helpful and extended my tree a lot on that line.

The point of this post though is to encourage those stuck in France with their line to persist as the records are usually very detailed and follow a standard form so are easy to get things from even if you don't read French. I got my French records by ordering a microfilm copy of the appropriate years from the LDS library. The English surnames stick out a mile!

If anyone has come across the Parkes family in Nottingham before they left for the continent I would appreciate help in tracing them. The parents were Isaac Parkes and Dorothy (Dolly) nee Ward.
Cheers
Christy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions