Search for content in message boards

Merrill Willis

Merrill Willis

Posted: 25 Mar 2007 4:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
I found his 2 grave stones in the Brock Cemetery which is very hard to find if you don't know the area.The cemetery is located from Dreyfus Rd.You have to walk through a long trail,go around a barn,go through another long field and the cemetery is on the right.I can give better directions if contacted.I hope this helps someone.Heather Rice

Merrill Willis and Father
COB Merrill Willis
2BN 1835-1913
14 REGT Cival War Veteran
KY CAV
1835-1913

Re: Merrill Willis

Posted: 25 Mar 2007 4:46PM GMT
I'm sorry for my error.It should be:
Father
Merrill Willis
1835-1913
Cival War Veteran

and

Merrill Willis
COB
2BN
14 REGT
KY CAV
1835-1913
I hope this helps someone.I took pictures also.Heather Rice

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 12:46PM GMT
Is this cemetery near Bear Wallow, Madison County, Kentucky?

Posted: 10 Apr 2007 12:55AM GMT
This cemetery is in Bearwallow across from 2652 Bark Road.It may be called Bark Road Cemetery but alot of my family(The Brock's)are buried there in unmarked graves and it has been called The Brock Cemetery because it was on the Brock farm.If you can find 2652 Bark Road(Bearwallow-Dreyfus)near a log house on a hill on the right.On the left side is a trail to follow or you can go around the reddish brown gate.There is atleast 25 to 30 graves.The only ones who have a stone is W.L.Brock,Merrill Willis,and Rosa Francis Willis.There is 2 rocks Rubith T.Cox and Waid B.Cox.

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 7:35PM GMT
Heather,
I would love to see the pictures. I research the Powell and Willis families from Estill County. Let me know if you are still active on here.

Missy

Posted: 16 Jun 2010 10:54PM GMT
Merrill is my G G Grandfather, I would love to see pictures!

Posted: 2 Sep 2011 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: Willis, Powell
Missy, Sal & I are from McKenzie Willis father to Merrill. If you are still reading, we know of: James Mason Willis, last son of Merrill & brother to Rose, married Lillian Powell (Aug 3, 1908?). McKinzie's daughter, Susan, sister to Merrill, married Emanuel Powell (1843?). McKinzie's last daughter, Lucinda, b. 1840, marrying Washington Powell, but this record is unclear. My father, George Willis (Illinois), & Sal's great uncle Tom Willis (Iowa), and Sherman Willis (from Merrill's son Cash, Berea),cut out and cleaned up that cemetary in 1976, and my dad did twice after Tom & Sherman died. Terribly overgrown by 2005, last time I was there.

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 6:59PM GMT
There were several Willis brothers from Virginia who came to Madison Co, KY and settled there around 1800. Many of them died near Madison Co. I am descended from Drury, but there was also Richard, Sherod, Sterling, and Edward. There was a sister named Nancy Anne Willis who married William Hopewood. Are any of these connected to your McKenzie Willis or Nancy?

Also, I saw the picture in the December/January issue of Kentucky Explorer sent by George Willis, who I think is connected to your family.

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 10:46PM GMT
Drury Willis' family was ruled out by DNA to be connected with Mckinzie Willis. What picture did George send in? George is connected to the same Willis' I am researching. I have been in contact with him before.

Posted: 16 Dec 2013 1:13PM GMT
George Willis submitted a picture of his great-great-grandfather Merrill Willis, born 1830 in Estill County, KY, son of McKenzie Willis (b. ca 1799, Madison Co., KY), son of Nancy Willis, and Merrill's third wife, Hannah Cox Cornelison. The caption further says that Merrill & Hannah were married in 1892 (when Merrill was 62). He thinks the photo was taken in Estill County.

It does seem strange that there were two unrelated Willis families in the Madison Co, Ky area in that time frame, but I'd trust the DNA test.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions