Search for content in message boards

FTM 2010: The Synchronization-With-Ancestry.com Thread

FTM 2010: The Synchronization-With-Ancestry.com Thread

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 7:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Please post all your findings here. I will attempt to keep this original post updated with all the information throughout this thread (that way the first post will have all summary info).

From what I understand so far:
- Ancestry.com will export images, stories, notes, sources, citations to FTM.
- Ancestry.com will not export images of sources to FTM.
- FTM 2010 will provide the ability to merge downloaded trees into existing FTM trees.
- Ancestry.com will not provide the ability to merge FTM trees into existing Ancestry.com trees.

Personal Note:
The lack of merge-capabilities on Ancestry.com has been a complaint of mine ever since I started using FTM, especially since their marketing materials seem to tout synchronization support, when this is clearly not the case (it really is only integration into FTM).

Re: FTM 2010: The Synchronization-With-Ancestry.com Thread

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 7:28PM GMT
Update: it seems that these forums lack the ability to edit posts. This means I won't be able to keep a summarization.

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 7:34PM GMT
Workaround:

1. Put up a public tree with whatever information you feel comfortable showing but with no pictures, stories, etc.- just basic info.

2. Download that public tree into a new FTM file.

3. Use that FTM file and upload it to a private tree- and I mean completely private (i.e. one that won’t even show up in search)

4. Add whatever sources, pictures, stories, etc. to this private tree.

5. Use the public tree to add new people and their basic info and then copy the new people added to the public tree to the private tree and then add sources, pictures, etc.

You can then keep adding to the private tree without having to re-issue invites or worry about the namegatherers grabbing your pictures, etc. and also keep backups of both public and private trees on your computer.

Thanks to Andy Hatchet for describing this workaround on the Ancesty.com blog (http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2009/08/19/family-tree-ma...).

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 7:36AM GMT
Check out MyHeritage.com and their free Family Tree Builder. FTB does synch up to the web tree, in fact it can be set to upload automatically at intervals that you can set. This feature works one-way only. You work within the desktop app and publish your tree to the web – you cannot edit the web tree on the web – only from within FTB. You can open a web browser within FTB and perform searches, etc.

Now, this wouldn’t satisfy those folks that want to collaborate with others on trees via the web, or that need the ability to work on their tree from multiple computers, but it would satisfy my desire to work with a more robust desktop application so that my work would be saved locally on my PC but backed up and made available for display to invitees on the web. And best of all – no duplication of effort!

Unfortunately, MyHeritage does not have the record collections that TGN has, although their search does search all the TGN sites along with others. But you don’t have that ability to click on a record and add all the info to your tree along with a link to the image.

I, personally, would love for TGN to give FTM the same capability to publish trees to the web that MyHeritage has with FTB.

As far as two-way synching goes, that’s a much trickier prospect, and I suspect that it’s a long way off. What MyHeritage has done is to allow you to have an FTB “published” tree as I have described – or a web based tree that you, and anyone else that you grant permission to, can edit online, but not through the software. I suppose that you could have one of each if you wished, you just can’t have them both together in one package.

Maybe the TGN developers can take a look at what MyHeritage has done and get some ideas.

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 3:01PM GMT
FTB has another feature that i like and that is the ability to tag parts of photos so that you can add a name tag to different people in a photo. Facebook also has this ability. Wish Ancestry trees did or FTM.

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 3:36PM GMT
Michael,

You said:

"Personal Note:
The lack of merge-capabilities on Ancestry.com has been a complaint of mine ever since I started using FTM, especially since their marketing materials seem to tout synchronization support, when this is clearly not the case (it really is only integration into FTM)."

I think the "synchronization" that you are looking for are not quite there. The detail behind that word, is that you want Ancestry.com to update the existing My Member Tree.

I would suggest that you make that suggestion, in detail, to Ancestry.com. From what I have seen, the Family Tree Maker has listened to this request, but Ancestry.com needs to work on their end.

Russ

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 5:17PM GMT
That would indeed be very useful. I use iPhoto (MAC) to organize my pictures on my computer, and it does the same thing. Windows Live Photo Gallery also supports this functionality (for Windows users). It would be great to be able to upload JPG images and have ancestry parse and display the meta-data associated with the file (such as location, date, people in the picture, etc.).
I'll have to check out FTB.

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 5:18PM GMT
Hi Russ,

I have made this suggestion many times in the past at the relevant places. We had this whole discussion regarding FTM2009 not synchronizing.

The intent of this post is to inform others, identify actual functionality, and provide work-arounds.

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 9:01PM GMT
Michael,

But, have you posted your requirements to Ancestry.com?

I know that the folks at Family Tree Maker understand the issue and they have stepped up to the issue from the Program point of view. Now, Ancestry needs to do their piece.

The way I handle this issue, now that 2010 has the capability to download what is online, images and all, is to make the changes in my File, then Upload it again. I have deleted an old tree at Ancestry, but usually have two versions there.

I agree the if Ancestry.com (the website) could KNOW that what I am updating is already online, and deal with is appropriately, would be nice.

Again, I have heard the folks from Family Tree Maker say that "we're not quite there yet" when talking about this topic.

Russ

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 9:14PM GMT
Right, I have reported this issue to both sides. Now, to be clear, though: the company that makes FTM is owned by TGN, which also owns Ancestry.com. And since Ancestry.com staff and customer support, as well as the store, handle the sale and service of FTM, it should be clear that Ancestry.com is ultimately already in the know and should be working hand-in-hand with the folks at FTM to resolve this issue. It should also be the responsibility of the folks at FTM to push the issue with the developers at Ancestry.com. Not to mention that the feedback form gets reported to both Ancestry.com and FTM staff, if the indication on the website is correct. Besides, the language on the FTM site now suggests that Ancestry.com is largely responsible for the development of FTM.

In case others are wondering, here are the links where you can provide feedback (Ancestry.com and FTM receive this feedback):
Web: http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm.cfg/php/enduser/form.php...
Email: support@ancestry.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic