Search for content in message boards

Garnetts of Williamstown, Kells, Co. Meath

Garnetts of Williamstown, Kells, Co. Meath

Posted: 13 Oct 2011 1:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Garnett, Bradshaw, Nicholson, Adams, Knowles
After Williamstown was sold at the beginning of the 20th C, the family of William Stawell GARNETT and his wife Sarah (Sally) GARNETT dispersed. I am trying to contact their descendants if they are interested in family history.

I have original Garnett documents due to the safe keeping of Sarah (Flossie) GARNETT (1877 - 1966) their daughter, who kept everything and passed it on to me eventually.

I am looking for descendants of Flossie's nephew Frederick or her niece Sarah children of Stawell William Wade GARNETT who died Melbourne Australia 1919. Sarah married someone called KNOWLES d 1965 and their daughter Susan who married someone called ADAMS.

Or another niece called Biddy daughter of George William GARNETT. She married someone called Augustus BRADSHAW and had a daughter Susan that married someone called NICHOLSON.

But where these people are now, I have no idea. I might not even have the right names.

Can anyone help?

Isabel Cosgrove

Re: Garnetts of Williamstown, Kells, Co. Meath

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 3:20AM GMT
Surnames: Garnett
Dear Isabel,

Stawell William Wade Garnett was my Great Grandfather, He was my mothers Grandfather. My mother is still alive. You mention Sally (Flossy), Well she is mentioned in Stawell's Will as both Sally and Flossy. I have an original handwritten copy of his Will and I also have a letter to my Grandmother (Irene Dora Garnett)from 'Aunt Sal' when she lived at 25 Ellesmere Road Chiswick, in 1948. I even have a photograph of Stawell in his WW1 AIF Uniform, and an original copy of the Will of Alice Maud Garnett. Stawell's wife. For information Stawell, Sal's brother, attended HMS Worcester in London and trained as a Ship's mate. Stawell joined the AIF instead of the Navy in WW1 and was gassed. He was repatriated back to Australia and died and was buried in Mildura, in Victoria before the end of WW1. I am very interested in anything you may have regarding family history for mum's side of my family.

Wayne Binfield
wabin@optusnet.com.au

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 9:46AM GMT
Surnames: Garnett, Wade, Rothwell, Radcliff, Radcliffe, Cosgrove, Keating
Dear Wayne

Sorry for the delay in replying as I have been away ski-ing!

You are obviously exactly the descendant I was looking for and can tell me who you all are!

I am descended twice from the Garnetts of Kells through their marriages to the Radcliff family. Firstly Maria Matilda GARNETT (1765-1836) dau of Henry GARNETT and Matilda ROTHWELL married John Travers RADCLIFFE (1757-1814) and their son John Travers RADCLIFF (1797-1881) marrried Elinor (aka Eleanora) GARNETT (1795-1879) dau of George Charles GARNETT and Margaret WADE. They dropped the E from Radcliff.

Elinor was the sister of George GARNETT that married Catherine STAWELL who were the parents of William Stawell GARNETT who married his cousin Sally GARNETT.

John Travers Radcliff II and Elinor Garnett are my great great grand parents. Their son George Edward married Emma Armstrong and their daughter Sarah is my grandmother. Sarah married John Cosgrove and their son John Travers COSGROVE is my father.

George Edward had a sister Marion who married John KEATING. Their grandson Thomas (known as Bob) was close to Flossy and it was he that cleared 25 Ellesmere Road in 1966/7, I believe. It was also to him that she left a pillowcase full of her Garnett documents. Bob's family are not interested in family history whereas my father and I are - so we got all Flossy's papers.

We are cousins for sure and it sounds to me as though we should share our trees. I will message you on Ancestry with my email address.

Cheers
Isabel

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 11:42AM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2012 11:43AM GMT
Surnames: Garnett, Phillips, Jepson
Dear Isabel

I was so excited when I came across this link as I am a great great Granddaughter of Stawell William Wade GARNETT. Frederick William GARNETT is my Great Grandfather, Cathleen Maude PHILLIPS (dec) his daughter with Evelyn Myrtle MIHAN is my Gran. Believe it or not over a hundred years later we still live here in Mildura.

I would be happy answer any questions that I can for you. I have a copy of Alice's will and war records for Stawell William Wade, Frederick and Ronald. Aswell as newspaper clippings births deaths etc.

I would love any information you have to add to my bits and pieces I have put together. Out of curiousity do you live in Ireland?

Regards Amanda Jepson
ajeppo@hotmail.com

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 10:51AM GMT
Hi Amanda

Wow! Thanks for your message - will send more info to your email - mine is isabel.cosgrove@virginmedia.com
Sorry, I don't live in Ireland but in Scotland. Close enough?!

Isabel

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 2:53PM GMT
Surnames: Garnett
I have stumbled across this as I am researching former pupils of Cranleigh School in Surrey, England and Stawell William Wade Garnett was there from 1883 for a time. I can find exact details if needed. I know he was 44 when he joined the Australian forces in 1916 but can you shed any more light on what he did then and how he died?

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 7:40AM GMT
Stawell William Wade Garnett was one of my G/Grandfathers. He left Cranleigh School and his father paid for him to join Ship's Mates training on board HMS Worcester. He graduated from there and got a job with a shipping line. I think it was called the Mac Line or something similar. The writing on the paperwork is difficult to decifer. I believe the ship he was on was a Merchant ship and did some service between Great Britain and the south China Sea area: Japan, China, Macau, Hong Kong etc. I don't know how he arrived in Australia but he became quite a successful horse breeder in Mildura. He was badly gassed during the First World War and was repatriated back to Australia and died in July 1918 - before he could see the end of the War. I put a photo of him in uniform on mundia.com, if your interested.

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 6:21PM GMT
Surnames: Geraghty
Hi all, I noticed with great interest the "conversation" re the Garnetts of Williamstown a local school principal to the area Dr. Liam McNiffe wrote an amazing book on Williamstown and the family its a must read! I have some photos of Williamstown House taken recently if anyone is interested feel free to email me. I am planning on winning the euromillions and saving the house from ruin!! Carol

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 7:29AM GMT
Hi Carol,

That would be a wonderful thing to to do and I would like to see pictures. rosneath at ntlworld dot com.

Dr McNiffe's book is good but not quite right on the Garnett family connection, in particular 'old' Sarah Garnett. He perpetuates a few myths that have got into Burke's Landed Gentry and it took me a good while to straighten them out.

Isabel

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 12:06PM GMT
Surnames: Geraghty
Hi Isabel,

I will send them by private mail to you. If you have facebook access find my page "Save Williamstown House" be prepared it is a shell of its former glory the roof has collapsed and the house is now derelict. I have some photos I took 2 years ago before the roof went in. Sorry to be the barer of bad news!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions