Search for content in message boards

Look Up, George Washington Kelly/Kelley

Look Up, George Washington Kelly/Kelley

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Jan 2005 6:34AM GMT
Surnames: Kelly, Kelley
Looking for information on George Washington Kelly/Kelley, born about 1750 in south Carolina, died Sept 13, 1813, possibly in Pulaski County, GA, His wife was Elizabeth. Elizabeth drew a lot in what was then Decatur County, Georgia, in the 1827 Georgia Land Lottery as a Revolutionary soldier's Widow.
One of his son's was known to be unable to read and write, so his name is questionable and he may have added the George Washington after the war?
Any information will help. Thanks, Don Kelly

Re: Look Up, George Washington Kelly/Kelley

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 8:00PM GMT
Hi Don,

I am sorry but we do not have any patriots listed in our DAR Patriot Index by the last name of Kelley/Kelly that match the information you provided on dates and places. I looked up just the last name in case George Washington was not his name during the Revolution. Note that just because it is not in the DAR Patriot Index does not mean he did not serve during the War. It only means no woman has joined the DAR using his service to prove her eligibility.

If we can look up another ancestor let us know.

Sincerely
Gail Terry

This is a free look up service provided by DAR VIS volunteers at the DAR message board.

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 11:59PM GMT
I have just started to look up the Kelley line. My husband's 4th great grandfather was George Washington Kelley, who married Elizabeth. I wonder if you have any information on this family. I do not have much at all. My husband's line is through Phillip Karnell (his father), Sherman, Joshua, James, and George. Does anyone know who George Washington's parents were? Any information would be appreciated.

Don Kelly (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2006 12:14AM GMT
You reference one of my queries regarding the Kelly/Kelley line. Is the Joshua in your line Joshua A. Kelly/Kelley who's wife was a Flora Ann Henry Kelley? I cannot tie this in to the later names in your line, ie., Sherman, and then Phillip Karnell? Any way, I have never been able to trace the George and Elizabeth line back any further

Cheryl Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2006 10:23PM GMT
Don, I got mixed up. The Joshua in my line was married to Chloe Ann Henry and is buried in the Kelley Cemetery off Hwy 91 in Miller or Baker County GA. The "Sherman" I referred to was a nickname for Phillip Karnell, Josh's son and his son, Buford Karnell, was my father -in-law.

Cheryl C. Kelley

Posted: 16 May 2010 11:23PM GMT
Edited: 17 May 2010 6:51AM GMT
Surnames: Kelley, Kelly
Good evening Don
I would like to collaberate with you on proving George W. Kelley/Kelly as a soldier in the Amer Rev. If his widow received a land lottery the GA Archives should have something pertaining to the proof she had to offer for service. Would you like to work on this together?
I too am helping a friend do this same thing.

Posted: 16 May 2010 11:29PM GMT
I looked up the 1827 Land Lottery but there was nothing in the book to say Eliz. Kelly was the widow of George Washington Kelly. Where did you learn that George and Eliz. were husband and wife?

Posted: 16 Dec 2010 1:26AM GMT
My husband's dad was James Chester Kelley b.22 Jan. 1916 Bainbridge, Baker Co., Ga. His dad was Barney McCoy Kelley b.1892 Newton Co., Ga. His dad was Jackson Kelley b. 1864 Colquitt, Miller Co., Ga. His father was Philip Kelley b.1832 Ga. His father was James b.1790. His dad was George Washington Kelley b.1750 S.C.
Hope this help.

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 7:31PM GMT
I am also researching the family line between the Kelley/Kelly. on eof my great grandfathers' was Benjamin Franklin Kell, who had a brother George Washington Kelly. I was always told that one line of the family dropped the second "E" as to not look so Irish, ha ha.

Their father was John Jackson Kelly married to Tabitha Gaines. They lived in VA as far as I know.

Hope this helps, and if you happen to know any further back info on geneology, I would greatly appreciate it!

Wanda

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 9:49PM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2011 5:05AM GMT
Hi Alvie.
My name is Ken Kelly. I am Don Kelly's (b 1930) son. My father , Don Kelly, started the George Washington Kelly (b 1750 in SC. d 1813 in GA) thread back in 2005. After which he posted several more times. I just read your 2010 posting to my father, Don Kelly. Unfortuntely, my father died in 2009. I have copies of his research and am also interested in proving George W. Kelley/Kelly was a soldier in the Amer Rev. I am also intersted in learning who GWK's parents were and when/if the line came from Ireland. Do you have any further info to share? thanks Ken Kelly.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic