Search for content in message boards

Tracing the Rupkalvis family in Lithuania

Tracing the Rupkalvis family in Lithuania

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 1:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Mar 2009 3:18PM GMT
Surnames: Rupkalvis, Juska, Stanchus
Jonas Rupkalvis born approx 1855. He and his first wife went to America approx 1905/7. His first wife died of sunstroke while collecting grain which had fallen on the side of the railway line in Chicago.
Jonas was at his first sons wedding - John Michael to Elsa Juska about 1904/5 in Naumiestis, Lithuania. John Michael and Elsa migrated to America arriving late 1906 with two sons, August 1 1/2yrs and Otto 6 mths. Elsa was pregnant with Martha at the time.
Jonas returned to Lithuania and married Berta Stanchus in 1913/14. They had 2 sons, Heinrich (Andrew)1919 and August 1923.
We are having trouble in finding the ancestory line in Lithuania. If anyone could help that would be most appreciated. Thank you from Australian Rupkalvis family.

Re: Tracing the Rupkalvis family in Lithuania

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 9:44AM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2009 3:19PM GMT
Surnames: Rubkalnis, Rupkalvis
I think I found the Ellis island entry for the elder Jonas, recorded as Johann Rubkalnis, 52, arrived 8/21/1907, going to Chicago, from town of Alexandrowa. The writing on the manifest is very hard to read. I think it says he is going to a son in law, but I can't make out the name and I'm not sure who is coming from, possibly "woman Marian". But he appears to be traveling alone.

In a book I have about victims of WW2 Soviet terror, there is one listing:
Rupkalvis, Dovas, son of Gretas, born 1911, resided Zemaiciu Naumiestyje, Taurages district, Silutes region, a farmer, sent to a prison camp 1941 06 12, and he died there in 1943. (Note that the location name-endings are spelled according to grammar usage.)

The Lithuanian on-line phone directory has a lisitng of Diteris Rupkalvis in the town of Silutes. You could look at the listing to get the address and try contacting him

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 11:35AM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2009 3:22PM GMT
Surnames: Rubgalwis, Rupkalvis, Kanshat
I found the Ellis island manifest for the younger John and family, recorded as arrived 12/11/1906, Johann Rubgalwis, 25, with wife Else 22, August 1y6m, Ott 6m, as well as John's sister Martha 19, all from Neustadt, going to brother in law Johann ?, again can not read the last name, but the address is the same as the elder John's arrival, 8927 S. Michigan Ave, Chicago. This is one of the misfiled manifests, but can be located using the Steve Morse web site at Series T715, Roll 809, frame 359.

On family search labs web site, I found a record of birth for Alma Kanshat, born 10/25/1910 in chicago, to father Richard Kanshat, and mother Martha Rupkalvis. I think it likely this is the same Martha who arrived with brother John in 1906. However, I could not find this family on any census.

Re: Martha and Richard

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 2:42PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2009 12:38AM GMT
Surnames: Kanschat
You can find Martha and husband Richard on the 1920 Chicago census as Kanschat, with children Olga B 12, Ida 11, Alma 9, John R 7. Lida A 3, and Clara 1. The elder Richard died 7/2/1929 Chicago, and the younger Richard died April 1984, Martha died in 1967, both in Valparaiso Indiana.

Re: Johann Rubkalnis manifest

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 3:44PM GMT
Hi,

I took a look at the arrival manifest as well - it is indeed difficult to read! - and here's what I see:

Rubkalnis, Johann - 52 y/o, male, married, nationality: Russia, ethnicity: German, last residence: N. Aleksandrowo, Russia; left behind: woman? (meaning wife?) Maria Rubkalnis in N. Aleksandrowo, Nowe? ..iob?, G. Kowno; going to Chicago, Ill. to join son-in-law Johann N...mann (Neumann?); born in Alexandrowo, Russia.

-MJ

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 8:25PM GMT
Thank you very much for all the information you have provided - it ties in with some of the information we have which we were not too sure about. We will be following up the extra leads you have provided.
All our best.
Regards
jorupkalv.

Re: Johann Rubkalnis manifest

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 8:32PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2009 12:19AM GMT
Surnames: Rupkalvis, Conrad, Neumann
Thank you MJ for the extra information. We do have an Anna and Minna Rupkalvis (from family information) who married a Conrad and Neumann in USA, but we didn't know who married who.
It becomes very tricky with the mis-spelling of European names as we are finding out.
All the best and thank you again.
Regards
jorupkalv

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 8:40PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2009 12:18AM GMT
Surnames: Rupkalvis, Dovas
We had a Mikas Dovas who was mentioned on a marriage certifcate for Heinrich (known as Andrew)Rupkalvis born 1919. August Rupkalvis born 1923 now has his brother's marriage certificate, we will investigate Dovas further as he may have been a cousin of Heinrich and August.
jorupkalv

Re: spellings

Posted: 24 Mar 2009 12:37AM GMT
Surname spellings can be very frustrating, since spelling one's surname the same way every time didn't become required until it became necessary to legally prove one's identity to receive government benefits such as welfare and social security. At the time our ancestors lived, the priest or clerk probably didn't ask how to spell surnames. They just spelled them phonetically, and that was good enough. And once our ancestors emigrated and the clerks based phonetic spellings on a different alphabet, that further complicated spellings.

-MJ

Re: Martha and Richard

Posted: 18 Aug 2010 11:52AM GMT
Hello, I am one of Lida's grandchildren. Thank you all for the information about her family in Lithuania. I have always been interested in finding out more! I may even plan a trip to Lithuania next year as I live in Prague, Czech Republic!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions