Search for content in message boards

Linton-Savannah, Chatham Co., GA

Linton-Savannah, Chatham Co., GA

Posted: 3 Jan 2004 10:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Linton-Tillman-Bowen
I am looking for information on the Linton line coming to Savannah from Alabama around 1900. Specifically, James Eugene Linton was born in Alabama Dec. 9, 1874. He was the son of William R. Linton and Elizabeth Bowen. I have been unable to find William or Elizabeth in a Census and am not sure if they moved to Georgia as well. James Eugene Linton married Emma Tillman about 1900.

A response from anyone familiar with this family would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Linton-Savannah, Chatham Co., GA

Posted: 4 Jan 2004 3:06PM GMT
Surnames: Linton, Bowen, Tilman, Deene, Daly
Charles:

There were 3 families in Chatham Co that start appearing in the censuses in 1920 and 1930 that we're not sure of.

The family you ask about, James and Emma Tilman are in the 1920 census, ED 57 on pg 14A. James' parents were born in AL. Interestingly enough, the Frank and Irene Linton are in the same ED on pg 10B but his father was born in Scotland, mother born in Alabama, according to the 1920 census.

Another family, William Henry Linton (wives Lillian Daly and Luella Deene) also lived in Chatham County. William's family believes that he was born in Phenix City, Alabama which is in Russell County. William had a son named William R. Linton (the "R" was for Reily).

All of these families seem to have a connection to Alabama but remain unconnected to the Alabama lines. We know that there were Linton families in Alabama who had an amazing knack for avoiding the census takers every 10 years. These are families that I would love to connect backwards to the Alabama lines.

sarahvanwey (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2004 7:28PM GMT
Surnames: LINTON
Charles
try vernon linton ,jerry linton they may can help you i am a linton decendant, but a differnt line .e- mail me for their address. as i don't want to post it with their permisson.
good luck. SARAH WALKER VAN WEY

Posted: 7 Jan 2004 2:37AM GMT
David,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, most of the Linton's living in Savannah were related. The five brothers that I know of were James Eugene, Sam P., Frank B. G.W., and William Henry whom you mentioned. There was also a sister named Mary Ophelia Linton Tillman who lived in Savannah. According to the obituary of Frank B. Linton, he moved to Savannah around 1896 (30 years prior to his death in 1926).

It is interesting that William Henry Linton may have been born in Phenix City, Alabama. Perhaps this will be helpful in some way in trying to make the connection. I certainly will keep looking.

Thanks again.

Charles

Posted: 7 Jan 2004 2:52AM GMT
Surnames: Linton, Daly, Tilman
Charles:

I've been working on this line, trying to connect them back to other Alabama "orphans". Your mention of the obituary is the first connection between all these Lintons- I would be interested in obtaining a copy of the obituary.

There are some other researchers working on these families. You might take a look at the posts listed below, if you have not already done so.

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/surnames.linton...

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/surnames.linton...

Posted: 7 Jan 2004 3:47AM GMT
David,

First, here are postings of the obituaries for a couple of the Linton's.

FRANK B. LINTON DIED THIS MORNING
Frank B. Linton, 39 years old, of 675 Bismark Street, died this morning at 4 o'clock, at the residence.
He was a native of Alabama and had lived in Savannah for the last 30 years. He was employed as a blacksmith by the park and tree commission.
He leaves his widow, Mrs. Irene Linton; two daughters, Mary and Helen Linton; two sons, F.B., Jr., and Robert Linton; four brothers, W.H., J.E.and S.P. Linton of Savannah, and G.W. Linton, and one sister, Mrs. Ophelia Tillman of Daytona.
Funeral arrangements will be announced later"
Savannah Press, 18 October 1926

"Funeral Services for James Eugene Linton, Sr., 65, who died at 5:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon at his residence, 1415 Montgomery Street, will be held tomorrow morning at 10 o'clok at the residence, conducted by Rev. Benjamin C. Scarborough, supply pastor of Calvery Baptist Church. Internment will be in Bonaventure Cemetery.
Surivving are his widow, Mrs. Emma Linton, six daughters, Mrs. Elizabeth Warren of Miami, FL, Mrs. Lillie Mae Vickery, Miss Mamie Linton, Mrs. Myrtle Fulton, Mrs. Jeanette Helmley and Miss Daisy Linton, all of Savannah; one sone, James Eugene Linton, Jr; one sister, Mrs. Ophelia Tillman; two brothers, Sam and Henry Linton, all of Savannah, and six grandchildren.
Pallbearers will be I.D. Morrison, Dan Parrish, Oertell Collins, Jim Daniels, Harry Daniels, and Lovett Barbee."
Savannah Press, 24 October 1940.

Secondly, it is from the death certificate of James Eugene Linton that I obtained the name of his parents as William R. Linton and Elizabeth Bowen.

Finally, it defintely seems as though the family stopped in Bulloch Co, GA before coming to Savannah. James Eugene Linton was living Stilson, Bulloch Co., in 1909 when his son Edward Lee was born; apparently William Henry's wife was from Statesboro, Bulloch Co., and William was living in Blitch, Bulloch Co., GA in 1920.

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2004 2:51AM GMT
Hi Charles,

This Samuel Percy is my line. Do you have parents, birthdate, etc. for him?

Thanks,
Karen

Charles Smith (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2004 3:33AM GMT
Samuel Percy Linton
b. Sep 5, 1881, College Hill, AL
m. Abt. 1903 to Melissa Elizabeth Jordan
d. Mar 20, 1960, Savannah, Chatham Co., GA

Parents:
William Riley Linton
Mary Elizabeth Bowen

I know of 8 children born to Samuel and Melissa.

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2004 3:38PM GMT
Hi Charles,

You're not the first to say that Samuel's dad was William. Samuel III was so positive, however, that his greag-grandfather was named Clarence. Could there be another Linton family out there that we just haven't found all the dots to connect?

Currently, I've entered the info, or at least some of the info onto my ged. Do you have the rest of the children to give me? I've found about 5 of them so far.

Thanks,
Karen

Charles Smith (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2004 1:48PM GMT
Karen;

I haven't found the name Clarence before, although I do believe I've seen Percy as Samuel's father. In any event, I have looked everywhere in Alabama,Georgia and Florida for anything on this family prior to 1900. It's just not there. Perhaps I will give Clarence a look.

I have information on the children of this family. I will post it as soon as I get a chance.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions