Search for content in message boards

Lost Gypsy Heritage

Lost Gypsy Heritage

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 2:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewis, Mobley
So Im looking for some information on the Lewis' and Mobley's. I have always been told that my family is Native Americans, but it never added up. I use to live in Texarkana and there is a clan of Gypsies there and some have the last name Lewis' and I was always mistaken for a Gypsy in Texarkana. I have done some research and have come to realize that my family is Gypsy. Any other information on the two family names would be amazing. Looking into Gypsy culture I have noticed that I have always grown up with all the same traditions and I find this interesting. Thanks

Re: Lost Gypsy Heritage

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 2:57AM GMT
Sorry to say I don't have info for you, but your story, reminded me of mine. I too, was told Native American "Princess" (after researching gypsy's, that was a story often told) I'm enjoying my search, maybe our names will cross. my family is Wilson's/ Barnes

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 1:06AM GMT
Yea turns out my Grandfather was full blooded Gypsy and never told any of us. My dad was shocked. LOL Hopefully our names will cross. Do you have any tips on a good site to find Gypsy Genealogy or good information?

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 12:30PM GMT
Surnames: Wilson/ Barnes
I have not found a good place for info...except a living relative.
I have found areas where my family, camped and revisited, in the census and death records.

Ardmore, Tennessee & Alabama (it is on the state line)
Decatur Co, Al
Benton Indiana
Nashville, Tennessee
Bowling Green Kentucky
Clarkesdale, Mississippi
I know they often went into Fl thru Alabama

See if you can find a relative of your grandfather's that would be willing to talk. Does he have sisters or bro. aunts or uncles still alive???
Good luck, it's been a definite challenge!!

Posted: 10 Jun 2012 8:53AM GMT
This has been my main area of research and would be happy to share what information I have. I was shocked to see this post.

Posted: 10 Jun 2012 9:08AM GMT
One place I can suggest starting is with the families that are confirmed "Roma" families. The Harrisons that made Evansville Indiana famous. The Stanley clan can be found in digital newspaper archives (Virginia). The Woods, Roberts, and Lovell families ("Welsh"). There are "English" and "Welsh" lines of the Cooper and Lee families. There are as many Roma clans as there once were Native tribes. But, in the big picture, when dealing with early American history---you are often dealing with "English" Romanichal...and "Welsh/Spanish" Kale. The Kale related families I have much more knowledge of. You often know you are dealing with Kale when you see Spanish themes and influences. This is why early Kale families can be seen in Texas and Florida. The "English" Roma are far more common these days than the Kale. This can make research difficult. The Gypsy families of the Colonial Era were different in a lot of ways from the well studied families that started arriving in the mid 1800s.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions