Search for content in message boards

River Church Cemetery

River Church Cemetery

Posted: 14 Oct 2005 5:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shank
Can anyone tell me where River Church Cemetery is located (maybe near Watsontown)?
Also, if there is a listing of the graves in that cemetery.
Thanks for your help.

Re: River Church Cemetery

Posted: 15 Oct 2005 2:32PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2006 1:02AM GMT

This is one source.
http://www.councilcup.com/oldriver/

then, according to the PA archives, there is the following excerpt."Stephen Nicely went up the west branch of the Susquehanna river and
settled at Dewart, Pa., where he took up 200 acres of land, which is
still owned by his descendants, and remains in the Nicely name. Here he
spent his entire life, following the occupation of farming, and here his
death occurred. He is buried at the River Church near Dewart.

So it looks like it could be Dewart, PA which might be Union County. You may want to contact someone from the Union County Site. That website is:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~paunion/?

Good Luck

Posted: 15 Oct 2005 6:16PM GMT
Thanks, Suzanne, for your help.

I find Dewart in Northumberland County both in regular current day searches and in the History of Northumberland County.

In that History, under Dewart, is mentioned Warrior Run Cemetery and River Church Cemetery.

In your example, it mentions River Church "near Dewart", and I'm trying to get the actual town it is in and a location.

Posted: 15 Oct 2005 8:40PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2006 1:02AM GMT
Who are you looking for? Did you find an old document that made a reference to this? What time frame are you looking for?

Kathi (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2005 10:45PM GMT
The River Church is St. John's Delaware Run Lutheran Church, located on Musser Lane, Watsontown. Because this is a rural area, it is actually closer to Dewart (about a mile) than Watsontown (about 2 1/2 miles). It is located in Delaware Township. I am a member of the congregation.

I have extensive info for the cemetery burials, communion, marraiges, baptisms, etc. from about 1829 for the River Church. I can also help you with the Warrior Run Church Cemetery as I live only a mile away. Let me know if I can help.

Posted: 16 Oct 2005 12:26AM GMT
Edited: 14 Nov 2005 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: Shank, Beaver
Thank you, Kathi!

I was having a hard time figuring how my great grandfather, Harry Park Shank (born 6 Dec 1868, died 15 Mar 1930), got buried in/around Watsontown when he lived and died in Williamsport. On his death cert, the informant is listed as Herbert R. Beaver. I only had a first name for his second wife, Bertha. Taking a shot, I searched and found that Bertha was Bertha Beaver of Delaware Twp. They lived there in the 1920 census.

From The Grit, Williamsport, PA, August 19, 1945:
Shank - Mrs. Bertha Shank, a member of Grace Methodist Church here and a former resident of Montgomery, died Thursday at the home of John Stauffer, of Watsontown R.D.1, after four years of ill health. She is survived by three brothers, Herbert Beaver, of Watsontown R.D.; John, of Williamsport and Chester, of Montgomery. Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. today at Snyder funeral home in Montgomery. The Rev. Harry L. Jarrett pastor of the Montgomery Methodist Church, will officiate. Burial will be in River Church Cemetery, Delaware Run.

I have all of Harry Park Shank's info. But if the records you have access to have a date of birth for Bertha (I have born abt. 1879, died 16 Aug 1945) and any information on her three brothers listed in the obit, that would be great. Also, her parents were Alfred and Susan Beaver and she had a sister, Stella.

Any info on the Beaver family would be so appreciated. Even though Bertha is a relative by marriage, I felt so bad having her hang out on the tree as Bertha Unknown :-)

Bless you!

Posted: 16 Oct 2005 12:38AM GMT
Edited: 14 Nov 2005 5:17PM GMT
Hi Suzanne,

I'm reading my email backwards and I just answered Kathi's post before yours.

The first mention I had of "River Church" is that was all that was mentioned as place of burial for my great grandfather, Harry Park Shank. He died in Williamsport, and I couldn't figure out where River Church was and I knew it wasn't in Williamsport.

In my post to Kathi, I mentioned how I found the connection once I found his second wife's maiden name.

Thanks for responding :-)

Posted: 16 Oct 2005 2:30AM GMT
Is your David Shank the son of
David Shank, who served in the Civil War?
Mother, Senarah Shank, born 1832 (1883 she received a Civil War widow's pension). Were his siblings Hiram and Sarah, an d would he have been born about 1864?. They were listed as living in Milton in the 1880 census. But he is listed as Harry F Shank. Perhaps the F was misread for a P???

Posted: 16 Oct 2005 4:43AM GMT
No, my Harry Park Shank was born 1868 in St. Marys, Elk County, grew up in Renovo, Clinton County, married and lived in Williamsport, Lycoming County and had ten children with first wife Laura Henninger.

His father was born in Drumore, Lancaster County and his grandfather and great grandfather were born in County Antrim, Northern Ireland and came to America in 1816.

I've now found that his connection with Northumberland County was through his second wife, Bertha Beaver Shank, and they are both buried at River Church Cemetery.

Of 120+ Shanks, no David Shank in the line.

Kathi (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2005 8:56PM GMT
Wow, where do I begin! I have the Beaver family history back to 1698. I don't think you want all that, but if you do I can send it to you directly.

Bertha was born 10/2/1873 the daughter of Alfred and Susan Maurer Beaver. Their children included Estella, Bertha, John, Herbert and Chester. Bertha's parents, grandparents and G Grandparents are all buried at St. John's.

On 5/28/1896 Bertha married John Stauffer, also from Dewart (Actually now it would be called an area of Watsontown) acd. to the church records. John Stauffer was the son of George and Sarah Ella Hartranft Stauffer. Sarah is related to my husband through the Hartranfts.

They divorced (I do not know when) and she married your Harry. John remarried Mrs. Annie I Howell. He died in 1955 and is buried at St. John's. I do not know where his second wife is buried. I do not think Harry and Bertha had children. It is interesting that Bertha died at the home of her first husband. I did not know that!

Bertha's uncle, Herbert Beaver, had four children. One of them is very good friends with our family. I will ask her if she has any family pictures of Bertha and Harry. Please let me know if I can help in any way. If you do not live close by I can take a digital pic of their stones for you.

Kathi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions