Search for content in message boards

James Armistead LaFayette

James Armistead LaFayette

Carol LaFayette-Boyd (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2005 4:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Jan 2005 6:22AM GMT
Surnames: LaFayette
James Armistead, born about 1748 was a slave of William Armistead of New Kent County, Virginia. He became a spy for General LaFayette. When he received his freedom in 1787, he took the last name of LaFayette. He was granted a Veteran's pension in 1818. I am trying to find the name of his son. James died in August 9, 1830

Thank-you

Re: James Armistead LaFayette

Mary Z (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2005 11:14AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2005 6:29AM GMT
Surnames: LaFayette
Hello Carol
I did not find James Armistead La Fayette listed in our Patriot Index. I tried by both last names and nothing came up
Also tried William Armistead but couldn't determine which one might have connected to James.

thanks Mary Z

This is a free lookup service provided by VIS Volunteers to the Message Boards

Posted: 15 Jan 2005 4:55PM GMT
Thanks for reply. His pension was $40 per year. In the 1810 census, his name was spelled Layfayette.

Mary Z (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2005 11:06AM GMT
Hello
There is no LayFayette listed in our Patriot Index. this does not mean he did not serve, just that no one has gone into DAR under him. If you have his pension, it should not be hard to prove.We are proving new ancestors everyday so give it a try. Thanks Mary Z

This is a free lookup service provided by VIS volunteers to the message boards

Posted: 3 Sep 2006 3:34AM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2006 4:20AM GMT
Surnames: Lafayette
Hi, Carol!

I am a newspaper reporter for the Richmond Times-Dispatch in Richmond, VA. I came across your posts as I have begun researching the life of James Armistead Lafayette for a short children's story I'm writing for the paper as part of our Jamestown 2007 effort.

Since some of the info I've found quite frankly seems to be sort of squirrely, I've decided to do as much original research as possible. Family history is my hobby and for the life of me I don't want to be writing myths about this man.

I will be happy to share what I have found so far. I've just begun, so it isn't much.

I found a reference to him in:
Historical Register of Virginians in the Revolution, Soldiers, Sailors and Marines, 1775-1783. Ed. by John H. Gwathmey. Richmond, VA. 1938(13, 872p.): 453.
It says: James Lafayette
Birth Date: 174?
Volume: 99
Page number: 41

If you put his name into ancestry.com into the historical resources, you'll come up with resources like these. Access to ancestry is free at your local Family History Center(of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).
American National Biography, 24 volumes. Edited by John A. Garraty and Marck C. Carnes. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.(AmNatbi)

The Negro Almanac....later editions published as The African-American Almanac. A reference work on the Afro American. Use the index to locate biographies. biography contains portrait.

Who Was Who in the American Revolution. New York: Facts on File, 1993.(WhAmRev)

There are too many cited sources to type in.

Hope this helps.

Ellen Robertson
erobertson@timesdispatch.com

Posted: 4 Sep 2006 5:30PM GMT
As a child, my father told us that our ancestors were free & had taken the name of LaFayette from General LaFayette. I didn't ask many questions. My dad passed away in 1988 & in 1994, I found out about James Armistead LaFayette. My dad & uncle resemble him. My great grandfather, Edward William LaFayette was born in Virginia in 1847. I am unable to find the name of his parents. I plan to go to Utah in October & do some research.

Thanks for the information.
Carol LaFayette-Boyd

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 8:40PM GMT
Hello,
I my mother is an Armstead/Armistead and I wondered if James Armistead Lafayette had relatives i.e., children/brothers that kept the Armistead last name.

I have a tree posted on Ancestry. So far our Armistead family is in Richmond at least as far back as 1880.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 3:58AM GMT
Surnames: LaFayette, Armistead, Thornton
I believe I am related to James Armistead Lafayette as my father told us that we took the name of Lafayette from the General. The picture of James shows a resemblance to family members. Virginius Bray Thornton III of Massachusettes had a relative Lucy Armistead. My great grandfather Edward LaFayette was born in Virginia in 1847.
Carol.

Posted: 8 Nov 2013 5:47AM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2013 11:48PM GMT
Surnames: Armistead, Lafayette
Hi
I have some Armistead and Lafayette Ancestry too. I would like to suggest DNA testing as an option. I think it would help answer some of your questions. If you have a male with the family name and he takes the test. this would show both the male and female haplogroups. One such company is 23andme. the price is $99.00.

Posted: 1 Jan 2014 5:45AM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2014 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: Armstead
There is a Armstead group on facebook
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=120215257999795
per page

Find a board about a specific topic