Search for content in message boards

Orphan Train Riders to Louisiana

Orphan Train Riders to Louisiana

Posted: 28 May 2000 9:49PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2005 1:53AM GMT
If you had a relative who rode the Orphan Train to Louisiana, I can look up their name in the N.Y.Foundling Hospital Census (1870-1925) and The Children's Aid Society Census (1855-1925).Send me their name and I'll look for it for you.

orphan train

Posted: 8 Jul 2000 1:35PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2002 9:49PM GMT
My father Walter B Magruder told a friend of the family a story about the orphan but he couldn't remember the details. He lived as a child in the Washington,DC his father died and at this time the orphan train came into play in his life. The story I heard was he was sent to the German Orphanage in Wash,DC and a German farmer took him to work on his place I believe somewhere in Virginia. We have tried to find info regarding this orphan train and everyone has looked at us like we were crazy. If you could enlightens us as to how we might find out where this train ran and how we could get any info we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks alot for any help you might give us. Joan Magruder Peed.

orphan trains

Posted: 8 Jul 2000 9:45PM GMT
Marylou, write to: Orphan Train Heritage Society of America, Inc., 614 E. Emma Ave.,#115, Springdale, AR 72764-4634
Write to Mary Ellen Johnson. She can give you the information you seek about the orphan trains, when and where they ran. Good luck!!

lou lee

Might have come in on the orphan train

Melissa (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2001 2:06PM GMT
Could you please look up to see if Joseph Kern came in on the orphan train. Thanks!!

orphan train

Posted: 3 Jan 2001 7:47AM GMT
Hi, I found in the New York Foundling Hospital census for the year 1915 a Mary Kearn wf 30 yrs. old and also a Joseph Kearn wm 156 days old. This woman could have been his mother but I'm not sure and I don't know if this is the Joseph you are looking for. If it is, I'll give you the address to the NYFH and the OTHSA to get information on him.

Orphan Train

Melissa (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2001 7:19PM GMT
Thanks for your help! But I don't think that's who I'm looking for. My Joseph Kern's mother is Loretta O'neil. Thanks again!

Re: Orphan Train Riders to Louisiana

Posted: 13 Jul 2001 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Oct 2009 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: Ferris
I have a very puzzling situation that you might perhaps help me with. My grandmother was born in Cuba in 1896 and her death certificate says that her father, John Griegerson was born in Norway and her mother, Edith Ferris, was born in Pennsylvania. Her name was Dorothy. The only thing that I can come up with, is that she might have been orphaned after her family immigrated to the U.S. I have absolutely nothing but Dorothy's death certificate. It said that she had been in the U.S. for 29 years meaning that she immigrated in about 1899. If you could check the N.Y. records for any orphaned little girl from Cuba that might match this discription I would very much appreciate it.

Posted: 23 Jul 2001 5:17AM GMT
Surnames: Dixon, Mathews
Jacque, I'm sorry but I couldn't find your grandmother, Dorothy Griegerson, listed. I even looked under Ferris, but no luck there either. I did find a few Ferris' but no Dorothy. I am sorry.

lou lee

Posted: 30 Jan 2002 5:11PM GMT
I am trying to find information on Helen Virginia Belligan my mother who I beleive was placed with the New York Foundling Hospital in 1923 and lived with foster parents. Can you give me any direction. Thank you Marianne Scott re5star@aol.com

charlene (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2002 8:00AM GMT
My fiances grandfather was born may 19,1903. We think he was about 6 yrs old when he came to Louisiana. Avoyelles parish.
The last name given was Ribanken. He was from poland and that s about all we know. any help would be appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions