Search for content in message boards

Stevens Cemetery Location

Stevens Cemetery Location

John Sloan (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2001 10:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jun 2003 4:49PM GMT
Surnames: Stevens
I have been looking for the Stevens cemetery. I've been to Grahn twice trying to follow the directions on Carter County cemetery page and can't find it. Anybody know a sure fire way to find it?

Re: Stevens Cemetery Location

Mark Jordan (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2001 9:53PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jun 2003 4:50PM GMT
Surnames: Mosier, Stevens
I can help you with these directions, as I just found it myself a couple of months ago, after a number of wrong turns! Actually, I'm not sure where the name "Stevens Cemetery" came from on the Carter County cemetery page (maybe from Stevens Hollow which borders it), because the cemetery road actually has a decorative sign display saying "Clifty Acres." Anyway, here's the way:

Go south out of Grahn on Rt 182 about 5 miles or so (I didn't keep precise track). After you pass Rattlesnake Ridge Rd on your left, you will go about another mile and turn onto Rt. 986 on your left. Less than a mile or so down this road, you can see the sign for a gravel road named Clifty Acres Road on your left. When you turn onto this road, it immediately drops down and crosses Clifty Creek. The road then branches-- the right branch goes back to a number of houses, but the left branch is where you will see the little decorative fencepost that someone has put up which says Clifty Acres. Take this left fork and follow it a long way as it winds up and over the top of Clifty. It's probably only a mile or two total, but it's narrow, curvy, and rough. Stay with the main road (there's a couple of side branches which go to houses). After being on the peak of the ridge, it suddenly drops back down and goes around a curve and ends at the cemetery. There's a little turn-around area there. Comparing how the road was with how my cousin said it was when she went a couple of years ago, it has apparently recently been re-gravelled and repaired, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. My gggrandparents William and Leitha Mosier are buried there. Say hi to them for me! By the way, I have a few pictures of the cemetery if you or anyone else would like to see them.

John Sloan (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2001 10:38AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jun 2003 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Stevens, Stephens
I think we may have two cemeteries with close to the same name. The Stephens is on Clifty and is under the "Numerated" section of the list. The Stevens is on Pole Cat Branch and under the "Not yet enumerated" portion of the list. I think the Stevens was the family cemetery for Burl Stevens, a United Baptist preacher for many years in the Grahn area.

I've followed the directions on the Cemetery list twice and have ended up in the middle of nowhere (or close to it) both times.

Posted: 28 May 2013 1:13AM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2013 1:14AM GMT
Surnames: Stevens, Stephens, Craig, Barker
As this post is 10 years old I know it's a longshot to receive a reply from the original author, but my husband (a Stevens descendant) and I just returned from a visit to Grahn in the hopes of locating the graves of his ancestors. My only regret of the trip was not being able to find Stevens Cemetery. Well, I guess "find" isn't the right word--we found the entrance to the cemetery, but there was no way our little four-door car could make it up the gutted, 45-degree dirt road that leads to the cemetery at the top of the hill. There was no sign, but we followed the directions found on the Carter County Genweb site, and easily found the entrance to the path. We spoke with some Stevens descendants in Olive Hill, and were told that we had indeed found the right place, but to reach the cemetery you need a mule (like they used in the "old days" to reach the burial site), a tractor or a very tough four-wheel-drive. We were also told that there is a Stevens ancestor named Danny Carroll who makes the trip up the hill every few years to maintain the site. I believe that George Washington Stevens, his wife Phoebe Craig Stevens, and his parents William Stevens and Elizabeth Barker are buried there, and I'm desperately seeking photos of the stones or at least an enumeration of the graves there. I've attached a photo of the area that I'm calling the entrance to this cemetery so that others can help me determine if this is the right Stevens Cemetery. Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments:

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Stevens
I think you are wanting the cemetery on Big Sinking Road. It has a fairly good road.Hope this helps, i can take you to it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions