Search for content in message boards

Hoisery Mill , Reading Pa

Hoisery Mill , Reading Pa

Posted: 17 Jul 2005 6:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Yost, Bright
What was the name of a Hoisery Mill near Reading Pa. about 1920. Edith May Yost was an end picker and Charles Z.W.Bright of Reading on Wunder St. then was married to Edith maybe abt. 1904. He was a machine fixer at a Hosiery Mill.

Re: Hoisery Mill , Reading Pa

Lois (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2005 1:26PM GMT
There were more than a few large hosiery mills in the Reading area.
The Berkshire Knitting Mills was at one time the largest manufacturer of women’s hosiery in the world. In 1908 a three-story building was erected to house the first Berkshire Knitting Mills. In 1910 two stories were added to the building. More buildings were added later. Berkshire Knitting Mills manufactured full-fashioned cotton stockings, the cotton thread waxed with paraffin to give it the luster of silk. It employed thousands of people to run machines of its own design which could develop fine gauge thread, then move the product to knitting, looping and seaming departments to form gray goods. The gray goods went up to the dye house, then down to the shipping department.
The buildings are still standing as part of the VF Outlet complex, located in Wyomissing just outside the city of Reading.

Another large hosiery mill was the Nolde & Horst Co., which operated on Moss St. in Reading. A fire destroyed the plant in the late 1800s, but by May, 1900, an entirely new, modern plant had emerged, using the most modern machinery, and possessing the most up-to-date fire safety precautions. By 1910 the plant had come to occupy an entire city block, covering over 250,000 square feet of space, and employing more than 1,500 people. It was the second largest textile mill in the nation, surpassed only by the Berkshire Knitting Mills in near-by Wyomissing.

Other manufacturers of hosiery in the Reading area included:
Reading Knitting Mills, founded 1883
George W. Hawk & Co., 1896
Penn Knitting Mills Co., 1896
Hampden Knitting Mills Co., 1899
East Penn Hosiery Co., 1899
H. R. Epler & Son., 1901
Hawk Knitting Co., 1901
Consolidated Knitting & Spinning Mills, 1901
Metropolitan Knitting Mills, 1904
Rick Hosiery Co., 1905
Wolfinger Co., 1905
Colonial Hosiery Mills, 1906
Central Knitting Mills Co., 1907

Posted: 31 Jul 2005 6:38PM GMT
Surnames: Reitnauer, Bright
Which one of these hoisery mills would have been the Grist mill for silk hoisery of Reading? I have ancestors that were the loopers or forelady at one. No address was given. This would be around early 1930's my guess. I wish I could find an article or picture of the workers with their names or some company rosters.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 8:54PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2013 11:32PM GMT
Which one of these hoisery mills would have been the Grist mill for silk hoisery of Reading? I have ancestors that were the loopers or forelady at one. No address was given. This would be around early 1920's my guess. I wish I could find an article or picture of the workers with their names or some company rosters. Maybe a newspaper article from Reading Eagle or Reading Adler.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 9:01AM GMT
You may want to contact the Historical Society of Berks Co. The librarian in the research room may have old photos. As far as a list of employees, there were just too many hosiery mills in early 1900s! Over 1800 employees worked in 18 diff mills. Some made fine hosiery that shipped all over the US!
Also, a series of books, The Passing Scene, have been published by George M. Meiser, IX of the Berks Co Hist Soc, which contain old photos from around the county. You could browse thru some 16+ vols to see if photos of the mills and any of your kin are in any of them.
Diana in AL

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 7:24PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2013 12:21AM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I'll will try Berks County Historial Center first. I got a few volumes but not all. The ones I have nothing.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 9:33PM GMT
The following link to Goole News mentions some of the mills in Reading.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=qr4hAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4...

Richard

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 11:10PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2013 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: Bright, Yost, Reitnauer
I did not realize there would be so many - could not reading on a census record for Charles Zeiglus Weber Bright and Edith Mae Yost of Reading, Pa. I know Loretta Reitnauer worked at a Grist mill but maybe another spelling starting with a G. I thought this was interesting for those looking for Joseph C. Bright. Don't know if a relation to my Bright Family.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=L7QhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=R.... I guess researhing close to Birdsoro, Pa, Monocacy, Kutztown, and streets of Reading Pa. Like Wunder Street, Chestnut, etc. Loopers, fan lady, type workers on cotton and silk hosiery. Thank you for your reply and will be used for more researching.

Posted: 21 Sep 2013 5:03AM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2013 6:37AM GMT
Thank you Richard again for your reply. I know Brookshire Knitting Mill was popular. I wonder around 1920-1932 if there were any more mills near Reading, Amity Co. , Reading or near Birdsboro if there was a Grist mill. It may have have been in a fire and or rebuilt. I don't check in very much as I don't have Ancestry.Com right now but my e-mail address is piercedm@comcast.net.

Posted: 30 Apr 2014 12:26AM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2014 9:21PM GMT
hello,
My great grandfather was the owner of Yorkshire Hoisery Co in Reading, PA. on 10th street in Reading. Would anyone know any history of the company? I don't know anything at all except remember my grandmother having stationary that I would draw on as a child.

any assistance would be appreciated.

regards,
bfrtech
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions