Search for content in message boards

Harps from South Carolina

Harps from South Carolina

Posted: 8 Jan 2004 7:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harp
I am trying to find some history about my family. My grandfather was born in South Carolina. His name is Arthur Harp and now resides in Pennsylvania. Most of the older Harps lived in Newberry, South Carolina. If any one can add to this, I would greatly appreciate it. My e-mail address is: lislovu78@yahoo.com

Re: Harps from South Carolina

Posted: 12 Nov 2006 2:31AM GMT
I know it has been some time since you posted this. I too am researching Harp's (Harpe) from SC. My family comes from the Chesterfield area. I do not have an Arthur in my direct line. Do you know anything about his parents?

I am looking for P.(Pleas or Pleasant) E. Harpe's parents.

Posted: 11 Jan 2011 3:56PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Ok, it's been 5 years now, and no new information. My grandfather has since passed away. We do have Harpe's in our family as well, I'm actually friends with a couple on facebook.

Posted: 3 Apr 2011 2:29AM GMT
I find Pleasant's grave. I am interested in Harp of Chesterfield Co. In 1850, Eliz and Polly Harp are in John Miles' household. They must have been relatives of some sort. I just do not find many Harps in Chesterfield Co, Sc. I wonder why. Do you know anything about the Harps of Chesterfield? My family lived in Mount Croghan, SC. Miles surname. There is this connection to the Harps.
Please respond.
Julie

Posted: 29 Apr 2011 7:18PM GMT
Polly Harp was married to my g g grandfather, Pleasant Elijah Harp. I got her name off of my g grandfather's death certificate. His name was Pleasant "Pless" Elijah Harp, Jr. He was married to Eliza Jane Horne. He and Liza are buried at Hebron Methodist Church Cemetery, McBee, SC.

I'm not sure who Eliz is unless it was short for Elijah. I have been unable to find Polly's maiden name. Where did you find that she and Eliz are in John Miles household. I wonder if John Miles is a relative of her's as I have found no connection to any Miles on the Harp lineage.

All of my Harp family is from Chesterfield, SC and Anson County, NC. I have more info if you wish to share please e-mail to CMoodyM@peoplepc.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 29 Apr 2011 11:37PM GMT
How utterly exciting. I was searching for a Polly and Eliz Harp in Chesterfield and came across their tombstones. I felt that they were the ones. Now, that I found out she was called "Polly"....I am even more sure. Look carefully in Mt. Croghan, Chesterfield County, Sc during the 1850 census or 1860. I think it is the 1850 for John Miles b.1810, Jackson (erroneously called Jackson Harp; he was really Jackson Miles) and Hezekiah Miles. You will find Polly Harp and Eliz/Eliza (Male) Harp. I think that they are relatives of John Miles. Most interesting. It is very possible that Eliza or Eliz was short for Elijah because I have another Elijah in my tree who also had unusual spelling.

John Miles b.1810 lives beside his brother in Mt. Croghan, Chesterfield Co, SC. His brother is William Manning Miles b.1812. So, if you have trouble locating on ancestry John Miles due to their systems. Sometimes, I just pull up William and Nancy Miles and find John Miles next door. I descend from both brothers because their children married....yes, first cousins married.

I would love to know more about the Harp family in Chesterfield and would greatly appreciate your help.

John, William Miles had a sister also, Rebecca Jane Miles who married Nelson Turner Jordan. She is also a few doors down on census. Yes, I know McBee. Many of William Miles children moved into Jefferson from Mt. CRoghan.

More later! Let's talk!
Julie
Hmarshville @aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions