Search for content in message boards

Family Research - NOCK / WILLETTS / LOWE / SHAKESPEARE / NEWTON ived and worked in the Black Country

Family Research - NOCK / WILLETTS / LOWE / SHAKESPEARE / NEWTON ived and worked in the Black Country

Posted: 7 Apr 2004 11:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jan 2007 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Nock, Willetts, Lowe, Newton, Shakespeare
Am looking for anyone who could help expand my Family GEDCOM for the above Family Surnames. My direct family line surname is NOCK, which I have traced back to 1585. The above families lived and worked in the Black Country Region mainly centered in the Rowley Regis area and were Chain and Nail Makers. I have found that my GGrandfather "Titus Nock" and a few of his Chainmaking friends were involved with a German scheme to learn how to make Chain back in 1906 and caused quite a stir in the region. I would be happy to hear from anyone with any ties to the above Surnames and would be more than happy to share any info I may have.

Thanks.....Dave in the USA

Re: Family Research - NOCK / WILLETTS / LOWE / SHAKESPEARE / NEWTON

Kate (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2004 8:18PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2007 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Rose, Dodson, Willetts
Hi. Have you come across the surnames ROSE or DODSON at all? Both chain makers/maufacturers.
WILLETTS rings a bell. Have you looked at: http://www.rowleyregis.com/forum6.html
There are some postings there about Willetts.

Posted: 23 Apr 2004 1:13PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2004 2:54AM GMT
Thanks for the great info Kate...have just visited this site, did not know it exsisted and have possibly found some new contacts and have put a post there. I have not yet run across any of your mentioned surnames as of this time but have only been at this quest for a short time, six years or so and if I do I will let you know. Thought this would be a relaxing project to occupy some spare time but has turned out to be all consuming, word to the wise to anyone reading this....start documenting your family tree now while relatives are still living, talk to older family members, take photos, document everything you can.

Thanks......Dave

Posted: 4 May 2004 2:53PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Edited: 28 Jan 2007 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Willetts, Rose
Hello Kate....

After contacting Mike Willetts from the Rowley Regis On-Line site he sent me a CD on which he has been collecting, for the past 20 years, the Willetts surname marriages, Baptisms and Deaths.

I found the following marriages while gleening the CD:

12 Sep 1813 Dudley St. Thomas - Thomas Willetts - wid - Mary Rose - Sp (no ages or Occupations given )

2 Aug 1841 Dudley St Thomas - Elias Willets - bac - bricklayer -Harriet Rose - sp (no ages given )

15 Sep 1862 Halesowen St John - Joseph Willetts - 37 bac - nailer - Honor Rose - 41 wid

22 Dec 1907 Halesowen St John - Stephen Rose - 32 bac - warehouseman - Martha Willetts - 25 sp

11 Sep 1808 Oldswinford St Mary - Thomas Willetts - bac - Mary Rose (no ages or Occupations given )

Hope this helps in your quest..

Dave

Posted: 4 May 2004 4:03PM GMT
Very kind of you to fish those out for me. The Harriet Rose might be one of mine but it is hard to tell. At the moment I am stuck firmly with a gtgrandfather called William born about 1853 and most likely his father was Samuel but I can't catch them together on census or find the birth cert. Still, it wouldn't do to "finish" it too fast and have nothing for my old age!
Thanks
Kate

Posted: 4 May 2004 5:05PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2004 2:54AM GMT
Katrina...

William and Samuel..is that from the Rose or Downs surname ???

Dave

Kate (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2004 9:13PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2007 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: Rose, Downs
Rose
My grandfather's parents were William and Ellen Rose on his birth certificate but don't think they were actually married. William was married earlier to someone else though and the best match I can find has William's father as Samuel Rose on the wedding certificate.
At some point poor Ellen hopped off to her mother's and died so my grandfather was brought up by his maternal grandmother, Hannah Downs. When he came to marry he had two "surnames" so the priest hyphenated them and so the next two generations got saddled with Downs-Rose!

Posted: 2 Aug 2004 5:01AM GMT
Hi Just read your posting. My husbands family is Lowe. Have no idea whether you are able to help or not. These Lowe's lived in Shakespeare and towards Stratford area in Southeasthope. I have a fare bit but am always looking to see if there is any more out there.

Posted: 2 Aug 2004 11:29AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2007 5:20PM GMT
Surnames: Lowe, Nock, Newton
Hello Brenda,

My Lowes' are as follows, we have very little on John (the Father) other than he was listed as a Beer Retailer at the Royal Oak Inn, on Welsley Street, in Bradely, on one of the birth Certs we have, the year is 1884.

1. John Lowe .

Per Ellis Island Ships Manifest - John arrived in the United States September 26, 1907 onboard the ship
Majestic, Benjamin his son arrived later on November 10, 1906 onboard the ship Carmania, with Elah
and the children arriving on June 26, 1907 onboard the ship Caronia.

John married Elah Nock daughter of Joseph Nock and Elah Newton in Dec 1884. Elah was born about 1862 in Rowley Regis, Stafford England.

Marriage: VERIFY DUDLEY VOL 6C PAGE 46

John and Elah had the following children:

2 M i. Benjamin Lowe was born on 13 Apr 1886.

3 F ii. Sarah Lowe was born about 1887.

+ 4 F iii. Lillie (Lillian) Victoria Lowe was born on 24 May 1887. She died on 13 Apr 1974.

5 M iv. John George Lowe was born about Jun 1892.

Birth: VERIFY DUDLEY VOL 6C PAGE 77

6 M v. Sidney Lowe was born about Jun 1896.

Birth: VERIFY DUDLEY VOL 6C PAGE 25

7 M vi. Thomas Harold Lowe was born on 2 May 1896. He died in Oct 1965 in New Jersey.

Birth: VERIFY DUDLEY VOL 6C PAGE 25
Death: SSDI SSN 151-10-4000

8 M vii. Samuel Lowe was born on 15 Sep 1897. He died in Jun 1987 in Pequannack, New Jersey.

Birth: VERIFY DUDLEY VOL 6C PAGE 9
Death: SSDI SSN 152-07-9456

9 F viii. Elah Lowe was born about Jun 1899.

Birth: VERIFY DUDLEY VOL 6C PAGE 35

Any info you may be able tp provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply and God Bless....

....Dave

Posted: 3 Aug 2004 1:02AM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2005 1:09AM GMT
Sorry all I have for my Lowe's is that they came from Kirkmicheal Perthshire Scotland around 1844. Settled in southeasthope twp of Perth Co in Ontario Canada I have a misunderstanding here as i thought maybe that your Lowes may have come from Shakespeare Ontario Canada but i guess that is another family name you are looking into. The name was spelled Low at the time of 1844.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions