Search for content in message boards

First name 'Mezey'

First name 'Mezey'

Posted: 24 Feb 2010 6:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has a Mezey in their family.

Mine was born in 1805 in Staffordshire, England and I have seen one other in records from Worcestershire in the late 1700's but have so far not found a connection.

Officials have had trouble with his name over the years and I have seen it spelled Mazey, Massey, Macey, and others.

Anyone got one, or know where it comes from?

Thanks,

His 5x grandson, Les

Re: First name 'Mezey'

Posted: 25 Apr 2010 6:34PM GMT
hungarian for some one who lives near a feild or meadow or a name for some one who farms.it is of basque spanish origin
see the name mezo.

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 11:11AM GMT
Thanks very much for that.....I had seen a reference to it being linkled to Hungary and agriculture but nothing about Mezo or being of Basque origin.
Plenty of scope for investigation there....especially as I now have the name in my family going back into the late 1600's.

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 4:35PM GMT
Hi,
My grandfather`s name was Mezey . I just (2 days ago) found an official letter about it.
Mezey is a jewish name , was very common in Easter Europe.
After the 2nd War many of them changed the Y to I.

Regards,
Idan

Posted: 5 May 2012 2:55PM GMT
Thanks for that....I have no idea why my ancestors picked up on the name, I've found no other evidence of names from distant parts right back to the mid 1500's, although I have noticed a lot of children at that time seem to have been name after church officials....maybe that's how it happened?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions