Search for content in message boards

Stephen of Declaration of Independence - related to Mayflower family?

Stephen of Declaration of Independence - related to Mayflower family?

Posted: 6 Aug 2008 2:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Aug 2008 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: Hopkins
I have always wondered if the Stephen Hopkins who signed the Declaration of Independence was related to the Mayflower family. Is there any evidence to support that? I myself and directly related to Mayflower Hopkins but wondereed about this other Hopkins from Rhode Island - I believe he was also governor of Rhode Island. And from what I remember learning in middle school, the history books portrayed Stephen Hopkins who signed Declaration of Independence as being a bit of a drunk holding his beer mug!

Re: Stephen of Declaration of Independence - related to Mayflower family?

Posted: 6 Aug 2008 3:11PM GMT
I don't see a direct connection, but I have Desc. Report thst includes extensive info on Stephen who signed Declarition of Independence. Please respond directly to me.
billandjackie@mindspring.com

Posted: 7 Aug 2008 11:59PM GMT
Surnames: HOPKINS
I too am a direct descendent of Stephen Hopkins (Mayflower) and would be interested to know whether there is a connection to the Hopkins who was one of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence and a self educated man. The general employment of my lineage appears to have been fishermen/whalers, so is it possible that we are distantly related to this man whose wish was for freedom from English ruling?
Would appreciate if you could advise me, should you receive confirmation. Thank you. Sylvia

Posted: 31 Dec 2008 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: Hopkins
For what it's worth, Wikipedia doesn't mention the Declaration of Independence. You might want to keep an eye out for edits on this referenced site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hopkins_(settler)

There's a Hopkins Y-DNA study with 80 participants at http://www.familytreedna.com/order-form.aspx?Group=Hopkins. I would think it very valuable to have a male Hopkins with a solid paper trail to Stephen Hopkins join the study to establish the Y-DNA markers for that line. Then other families, like mine, could know if we're related through DNA since out paper trail doesn't go back far enough. You might ask the DNA group administrator if the Y-DNA markers are already established for this line. If not, a male Hopkins in your families could really help!

Posted: 1 Jan 2009 6:43PM GMT
I'd like to respond to the reference about the Y-DNA study with (nearly) 80 participants at Family Tree DNA (FTDNA). The writer makes an astute observation that it would be very valuable to have a (living) male Hopkins with a solid paper trail to Stephen Hopkins. We actually do have one and possibly a second living male Hopkins in the Hopkins Group at FTDNA who have a direct "trail" of descent from the Stephen Hopkins of Mayflower fame. I have a chart showing his direct descent from Stephen and will be happy to share it with anyone who will request it by email. Further information can be reviewed on this particular individual's line by visiting the following link: bardfan75@hotmail.com. The Co-Group Administrator of the Hopkins Group at FTDNA has developed a wonderful website showing the direct descent of many of the present Hopkins Group. Unfortunately, not every member has provided his direct descent information, but about 40 of the Group has and the link to that website is: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~drakerobin...
Doug Hopkins Group Administrator, FTDNA dhopkins@gbis.com

Posted: 1 Jan 2009 8:03PM GMT
Thanks! I found it odd that this website wasn't linked to through the FTDNA webpage for the Hopkins project. I knew the results must be somewhere, but it wasn't clear where to find them. Nice to know you're making progress on these lines. If we can find a living male in our line we hope he'll join.

Posted: 10 Jan 2009 5:34PM GMT
Good Morning - I'm late to the party, but I hope you'll get my reply. I just finished mapping a direct (father to father to father) genealogy from my father to Giles Hopkins (of the Mayflower) and thereby to his father Stephen. The message I'm replying to is the one looking for a male descendant to join the DNA group. My dad is still alive. And, he's the last of his line. (All of his kids are girls.)I'm going to "give" him a DNA test for his birthday, so now you will have a DNA profile that should match Stephen's and Giles' Y DNA.

I can't help you with the Stephen Hopkins of Declaration fame. I've been told my whole life we were related, but methinks that was a family myth.

Happy Hunting!

Posted: 10 Jan 2009 5:41PM GMT
Hi, See DHopkins' post in this thread. The Hopkins DNA project has at least one representative from Mayflower Stephen Hopkins, but 2 or 3 from different branches are ideal to confirm the family markers. I say "go for it," and thanks for helping further the project along!

Posted: 10 Jan 2009 5:44PM GMT
I'm setting that up right now. My dad will flip! He loves the whole Family Tree experience. And, since he's not that healthy, this will make a fabulous gift for him to have.

Now if I could just prove I'm the long lost heir of someone who left a fabulous fortune...

Posted: 10 Jan 2009 5:46PM GMT
I hear ya!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic