Search for content in message boards

my grand father or great grandfather was a crown prince of austria

my grand father or great grandfather was a crown prince of austria

Posted: 31 Dec 2004 9:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jan 2005 4:03PM GMT
According to my mother before she died recently her family line came from the austrian royal family. A previous relative wished to marry some one who was unsuitable but renounced his inheritance and came to england to marry her. all i know so far is that he changed his name here to Greatrex and lived in the county of Stratford, warwickshire. if anyone has any information on a member of the austrian royal family who came to england in this way i would be very grate ful to hear from you, or if you could advise me how to find out anything. thankyou

Re: my grand father or great grandfather was a crown prince of austria

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2005 2:12AM GMT
Austria, had no Royal Family. Austria was an Empire and thus had an Imperial Family -- the Habsburgs. The House of Habsburg (sometimes spelt in English as Hapsburg) ranks as one of the most powerful dynasties in history. So what you are saying is that either your grandfather or great-grandfather was a Habsburg -- correct?

Posted: 1 Jan 2005 12:49PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2005 4:03PM GMT
thankyou for your reply.

i presume that is correct. I only have that small piece of information given by my mother so far

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2005 3:00PM GMT
Well, there is SO much information available about the Habsburgs! You can do an internet search. Just enter "Habsburg" into the Google search engine, and you'll find all kinds of things.

Something involving your grandfather or great-grandfather would have occurred during the time of Emperor (in German: Kaiser) Franz Joseph I (1830-1916; reigned 1848-1916). So you might also find something useful if you do a search for "Franz Joseph I" as well.

The following two webpages might also be of interest to you (although not related to your mother's line):

http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/harrach.html

http://harrach.nwy.at/ (available in German and in English)

One possibility is that the person you're interested in did not as such change his surname, but rather, married a woman by the name of Greatrex (a relatively common name in the Midlands) and decided that they would use her family name rather than his. Have you looked for marriage records yet?

Robert

Posted: 2 Jan 2005 1:38PM GMT
Robert T,

A more apt description of the family would be royal and imperial, signifying both the titles of king and emperor. After all The Habsburgs held the title of King in many lands inc. Bohemia, Hungary.......

Robert J

Belinda (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2005 11:26PM GMT
You have a small error in your letter which might hamper your searches. Stratford must be the TOWN of Stratford-upon-Avon (of a certain William Shakespear fame) in the COUNTY of Warwickshire. The Local Studies section of the Public Library in Stratford-upon-Avon might be able to help.

Irene (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2005 5:41PM GMT
Surnames: LaChance
My great-grandfather was Archduke Franz Ferdinand who was assinated, along with his wife Sofia, by a Serijevo student in 1914. I am trying to research my family heritage. For some unknown reason to me, I was the only child of Elmer Arthur LaChance and Gladys LaChance that was given up for adoption. I am the eldest of their four children. The only information that my sister Mary has given me is that he was my great-grandfather, and upon his death the throne was denounced and the family fled to Canada to spare the remaining family lives. Where they entered Canada, I do not know. I do know however, that they ended up in a small French Catholic town of Potosi, Missouri, before Elmer and Gladys moved to Poplar Bluff, Missouri. The family is buried at the New Masonic Cemetary in Potosi. I have been there and have records of their grave sites. Any information that you could provide for me, or guide me to, would be most appreciated. I have three children of my own, and I would like them to know about their heritage, as well as my self.

If you are able to assist me in my quest of Who Am I and Where Did I Come From, then please e-mail me at imh402003@yahoo.com or write me at Irene Hoffman (LaChance) P.O. Box 302, Dittmer, MO 63023.

I will be happy to provide you with any information that I may have gathered so far if it would help you in any way.

Thank you

Irene

Posted: 23 Sep 2005 2:31AM GMT
The name LaChance might be a French spelling for an original name Lasancz or Leschanz or similar. There were families called Lasancz in Hungary, and the current phone directory of Austria lists a number of Leschanz. Perhaps the original name was from the region of today's Slovenia.

Crown prince Francis Ferdinand and his wife were assassinated in June 1914. This assassination triggered WW 1 which started just a month later. There was nothing dishonorable for Francis Ferdinand, therefore I have no idea why his offspring could have been persecuted. Very few people were able to emigrate to North America from Austria-Hungary during WW 1.

You told us about your greatgrandfather (the archduke) and your parents. Who were your grandparents? Where and when were they born? Where did they marry and where did they die? When did your parents arrive in Canada? What was the maiden name of Gladys?

B. Lapajne, Ph.D. (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2005 6:41PM GMT
A look in any encyclopaedia or history book will show you that Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie Chotek had three children. These were Sophie (1901-90), Maximilian (1902-62) and Ernst (1904-54). All three remained in Europe after their parents' assassination in Sarajevo. Furthermore, the family did not renounce the throne. Rather Franz Ferdinand's marriage to Sophie was a morganatic one, which stipulated that none of his children would inherit from him or be in line for the imperial throne.

Rather than chasing family stories of royal ancestors, I would suggest you try and locate reliable data on your parents and grandparents first and see where that will lead you.

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2005 9:11PM GMT
Irene, Archduke Franz Ferdinand (1863-1914) and his wife Sophia (1868-1914) had three children:

Sophie (Princess Sophie of Hohenberg)
born 24 July 1901 at Konopischt (Konopiste) Palace in Bohemia
died 27 October 1990 in Thannhausen, Styria, Austria
married 8 September 1920 to Count Friedrich von Nostitz-Rieneck (who died in 1973 in Graz, Austria)

Maximilian (Duke Maximilian of Hohenberg)
born 28 September 1902 in Vienna
died 8 January 1962 in Vienna
married 16 November 1926 to Countess Elisabetha von Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee (who died in 1993 in Salzburg, Austria)

Ernst (Prince Ernst von Hohenberg)
born 27 May 1904 at Konopischt (Konopiste) Palace in Bohemia
died 5 March 1954 in Graz, Styria, Austria
married 25 May 1936 to Marie-Thérèse Wood (who died in 1985 in Radmer, Styria, Austria)

If Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophia were your great-grandparents, then one of the above three couples must have been your grandparents.

If one of the above three couples were your grandparents, then one of the following 12 children would have had to have been either your father or your mother:

Sophie and Friedrich had four children:

Count Erwein von Nostitz-Rieneck (1921-1949)
Count Franz von Nostitz-Rieneck (1923-1945)
Count Aloys von Nostitz-Rieneck (1925-2003) -- 4 children born between 1963 and 1970
Countess Sophie von Nostitz Rieneck, married name von Gudenus (1929-still living) -- 4 children born between 1954 and 1960

Maximilian and Elisabetha had six children:

Duke Franz Ferdinand von Hohenberg (1927-1977) -- 2 children born 1958 and 1960
Duke Georg Friedrich von Hohenberg (1929-still living) -- 3 children born between 1961 and 1970
Prince Albrecht von Hohenberg (1931-still living) -- 4 children born between 1963 and 1969
Prince Johannes von Hohenberg (1933-still living) -- 4 children born between 1970 and 1976
Prince Peter von Hohenberg (1936-still living) -- 2 children born 1970 and 1972
Prince Gerhard von Hohenberg (1941-still living)

Ernst and Marie-Thérèse had two children:

Prince Franz Ferdinand von Hohenberg (1937-1978) -- 1 child born 1969
Prince Ernst von Hohenberg (1944-still living) -- 1 child born 1974

So the big question now, Irene, is this: Which of the above-listed 12 people was your father or your mother?

Robert
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions