Search for content in message boards

BRATTAIN- Wayne Co.

BRATTAIN- Wayne Co.

Posted: 9 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Dec 2002 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: Brattain, Poe, Boling
Brattains that came to Wayne,Fayette Co.s in Indiana are part of my family that I need to contact. My grandmothers's BIBLE information seems to be different than what is out on the internet. If you have any information PLEASE contact me. The BRATTAINS setteled around Milton, In.
THANK YOU.

Ken Baker

Brattain - Wayne Co.

Posted: 13 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2001 8:15PM GMT
Surnames: Patterson, Beeson
I have Jane Patterson married to George Brattain on September 28, 1869 in Wayne County, IN. Would like more information on their descendants.

Re: BRATTAIN- Wayne Co.

Arlene (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2005 9:20PM GMT
Which segment of the Brattain family are you referring to? I have several Brattains, in several sections of Indiana.
Several spellings also. Any reference to Acles, Eccles, Sheckles, Scheckles, Tarr [sometimes read as Farr] ?
Also looking for Millikan, Millican, Millikin, that married with the Brattain/Bratton Family.
I appreciate any response.
thank You

Dot Baker (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2005 1:56AM GMT
Surnames: Brattain, Bratton
I am responding to this post for Ken. He is not well. His Brattain line comes from North Carolina and Wayne Co. Indiana. Also from Eagletown Indiana. His Great Great Grandparents were Rueben and Nancy Ellen Poe Brattain. They are buried in Friends Cemetary in Eagletown.
Reuben had a brother named George who married Martha Jane Patterson. They had two sons. David and John. David married Flora Milliner on 3/14/1868. John married Elmira Tarr on 1/15/1868
George had a daughter named Rachel who married Lewis W. Martz on 7/11/1868
We have a full list of all the children
Reuben and Nancy had 12 children
Charity C (Ken's Great Grandmother married Boling)
Clark (Bennett Clarkson),Matt, John R, Benjamin Franklin,George,Mary Ann, Rachel Elizabeth (Lyde), Lou, Jeanetty H. (Nettie), Sarah, William

I have not gotten info on all of these.
Dot

Arlene (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2005 2:59AM GMT
Dot, Thanks for your prompt reply.
Sorry to hear Ken is unwell.
Will send info attached to a mail to your e-mail address, under separate cover.
Thanks, Arlene

Posted: 13 Jan 2008 3:29AM GMT
Surnames: Brattain Poe Eccles
Dear Dot:

Read your message about Reuben Brattain and Nancy Poe. Would love to have info on their children please response by email to me at Brattainancestor@aol.com.

Thanks
Richard Brattain

PS I though it was Reuben's son George who married Martha Jane Patteron and not Reuben's brother Eliab George who married Anne Eccles. Reuben's brother Eliab George was born in 1817 and the marriage of Martha Jane Patterson occurred in 1969. He couldn't have married her since he died in 1868.

Posted: 13 Jan 2008 7:56AM GMT
John Henry Brattain, married Elmyra Tarr [sometimes mistaken as Farr] on 01.15.1868.
Elmyra married 2nd on 11.07.1900, in Knightstown,Henry,Indiana to John O'Neal [info from obit in Elwood Call-Leader], he died in 1927 in Elwood,Madison,Indiana.

re Martha Jane Patterson
She married Hamilton George W Brattain 09.28.1869
I am still filling in the missing blanks as I find them.
Hope this will be of some assistance.
Arlene

Posted: 15 Jan 2008 2:35AM GMT
Surnames: Brattain, Brittain, Neal, Reynolds, Whitson, Potter
I am pasting a genealogy report I have pieced together for the Brittain family of Wayne Co. I did some research on this family because Mary L. Neal (first married Firman Reynolds) married Joseph Brittain, Jr. Mary "Polly" Neal was the sister of my mystery ancestor Daniel Neal m. Leticia Perdue.

I have an 1895 obit from a Richmond, IN paper for Anna Whitson Brittain, wife of William Brittain.

I have a copy of the Brittain burials at Williamsburg Cemetery, Wayne Co, IN.

I have a copy of James Brittain's obit 1878 from the Richmond paper.

If these documents pertain to the family in question, let me know. I can send them to anyone interested.

If anyone knows about the family of Mary "Polly" Neal Reynolds Brittain, please contact me. The Neals are a brick wall for me. They came from NC and settled in Wayne Co, IN. They were around Milton for a time but later lived near Williamsburg.

Descendants of Joseph Brittain, Sr.

Generation No. 1

1. JOSEPH1 BRITTAIN, SR.1,2. He married ELIZABETH STOUT3,4.

Children of JOSEPH BRITTAIN and ELIZABETH STOUT are:
2. i. JOSEPH2 BRITTAIN, JR., b. 1802; d. September 07, 1866, at 58 yrs old, IN.
ii. ELIZABETH BRITTAIN5,6, m. JOSEPH BONNELL7,8, 1822, Monmouth Co, NJ9,10.

Notes for ELIZABETH BRITTAIN:
[Neal.FTW]

Dan Britton says:
married Joseph Bonnell 1822 "at the home of Joseph Britton" in Monmouth Co., NJ. Not sure if they moved to IN.

iii. JOHN BRITTAIN11,12, d. 1844, NJ13,14; m. ?HANNAH POTTER?14; d. Bef. 184215,16.

Notes for JOHN BRITTAIN:
[Neal.FTW]

Dan Britton says:
John: Possible son, not proven. Died in NJ in 1844. Administrator of his estate was Benjamin Stout, probably his uncle. His wife may have been Hannah Potter who died before 1842 and was named in her father's will.

3. iv. JAMES BRITTAIN, b. 1797; d. 1878.
4. v. BENJAMIN S BRITTON, b. 1798; d. 1875.

Generation No. 2

2. JOSEPH2 BRITTAIN, JR. (JOSEPH1)16 was born 180217,18, and died September 07, 1866 in at 58 yrs old, IN18. He married MARY L "POLLY" NEAL18 December 20, 1843 in Randolph County, IN18, daughter of ? NEAL. She was born 1810 in NC18, and died Aft. 188018.

Notes for JOSEPH BRITTAIN, JR.:
1850 Census - Williamsburgh, Green Twp, Wayne Co, IN
Joseph Brittain 45 M Shoemaker 600 New Jersey (married within the year)
Mary " 40 F NC "
Daniel " 35 M Wagonmaker New Jersey "
Montraville L " 3 M IND
Ruth A " 5/12 F IND
John Philips 40 M Laborer (illeg.) "
James ?inyree? 21 M " IND
Wm. F Reynolds 8 M IND attended school in last year

Children of JOSEPH BRITTAIN and MARY NEAL are:
i. INFANT DAUGHTER3 BRITTAIN, b. Bet. 1845 - 1846; d. 1846.

Notes for INFANT DAUGHTER BRITTAIN:
Concord Baptist Cemetery Records say:
Joseph d. 9-7-1866
Children of Joseph & Polly
Infant dt. d. 3/5-29-1846
Montreville d. 9-25-1850, 3y-6m-11d
Lydia, dt. of J. & S b. 1-19-1846-d. 10-28-1861

More About INFANT DAUGHTER BRITTAIN:
Burial: Concord Baptist Cemetery, Green Twp., Wayne Co, IN

ii. MONTREVILLE L. BRITTAIN, b. Abt. March 1847; d. September 25, 1850.

More About MONTREVILLE L. BRITTAIN:
Burial: Concord Baptist Cemetery, Green Twp., Wayne Co, IN

iii. RUTH A. BRITTAIN.

3. JAMES2 BRITTAIN (JOSEPH1)19,20 was born 179721,22, and died 187823,24. He married (1) ALICE JEFFERY25,26 1820 in NJ27,28, daughter of JOHN JEFFERY. He married (2) SARAH MARTIN29,30 1830 in IN31,32.

Notes for ALICE JEFFERY:
[Neal.FTW]

Dan Britton says:
I'm not sure is Alice moved to IN or died in NJ. I also do not know if they had any children.
The Amy Jeffrey, wife of John, who is buried in that cemetery is very likely James' former mother-in-law as the marriage record for James and Alice states she is "the daughter of John Jeffrey".

Child of JAMES BRITTAIN and SARAH MARTIN is:
i. GEORGE3 BRITTAIN33,34, m. MARGARET POTTER35,36.

More About MARGARET POTTER:
Burial: Concord Baptist Cem, Green Twp, Wayne Co, IN36

4. BENJAMIN S2 BRITTON (JOSEPH1 BRITTAIN, SR.)37,38 was born 179838, and died 187539,40. He married REBECCA CORNELIUS41,42 1822 in NJ43,44.

Notes for BENJAMIN S BRITTON:
[Neal.FTW]

Dan Britton says:
Moved to Iowa late in life wife son George.

More About BENJAMIN S BRITTON:
Residence: Iowa, late in life45,46

Child of BENJAMIN BRITTON and REBECCA CORNELIUS is:
i. GEORGE HENRY3 BRITTON47,48, m. FRANCIS L. POTTER49,50.

Notes for FRANCIS L. POTTER:
[Neal.FTW]

Dan Britton says:
Benjamin Brittain's son George Henry married a Frances L. Potter, who was the daughter of Abraham Potter and Susanna (Case) Potter. It seems as if two sisters married first cousins both named George Brittain.

Posted: 15 Jan 2008 3:12AM GMT
some of the family names listing perdue, are also showing up as perideau; perdeau, and other spellings. than have been transcribed various ways.
I note you list a Crim, I have found that also listed as Crum; Crume
Brattain, Brittain, and various spellings have been all used interchangably.
Neal also has been shown as O'Neal; McNeal; McNeil.
I have even found my own name changed several times. I have coreected it, but the errors still happen.
I have been checking several of the Indiana papers, and have caught some of the pot-hole fillers, that have just been dismissed over the years. It takes several hours by the time I am done. I am ready to drop.
Hope you noted the last entry re the Poe connection I have found.
I also got interested in our family history as a youth, thanks to a very savvy teacher. We had to write a historical piece for English Composition,, utilizing the memories and stories of our then Civil War survivors. Sure made a difference in the way you look at your history lessons from that point. I am still searching over 50 years later. It is fun to finally find those missing pieces of our own life's puzzles.
Happy Hunting.

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 9:26AM GMT
I went to school with some Brattains, in Cambridge City, in 1981. I don't know anything about their history, but they may be a connection you are looking for, or at least have info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic