Search for content in message boards

Scally-Campbeltown, Scotland to Perth,WA

Scally-Campbeltown, Scotland to Perth,WA

Posted: 13 Mar 2006 7:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Scally
My great grandfather's brother, Archibald Scally emigrated from Scotland to Perth in 1926. With him were his wife, Sarah(nee Reid) and children Flora, Neil, Mary & Agnes. All I know about them is that Neil served with the Australian army in WW2 . I would like to know what became of them and if there are any descendants.

Thanks, Karen.

Re: Scally-Campbeltown, Scotland to Perth,WA

Cherilyn (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2006 3:17AM GMT
Hi Karen

Archibald died in East Victoria Park, a suburb of Perth, on 26 April 1971. He was cremated but is memorialised at Karrakatta Cemetery in the Rose Gardens (section T, 249). He was 86.

Sarah Reid SCALLY lived to the ripe old age of 91, and died in Wilson on 18 May 1983. She is also memorialised at Karrakatta, in IC section, (B29.)

There is no record of Neil's death so perhaps he is still alive. He was born 14 Jan 1922 in Campbeltown, Scotland. His next of kin is given as S SCALLY, probably his mother Sarah. If you go to http://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/recordsearch.html you can search as a guest on his name and request his full dossier be digitised. Usually contains a lot of info, eg address, occupation, physical description. Takes a long time but is usually worth it! I can tell you he enlisted 8 Oct 1940 and was living in Rivervale at the time. He was a private in the 16 Battalion on discharge.

I have checked WA marriages up to 1933 but no luck...must have married later than this. If anyone has access to old newspapers from the 1970s and 1980s there are likely to be obituary/death notices that may help.

There area a few N Scally's in the metro area of Perth in the white pages. If you go to www.whitepages.com.au you can search.

Good luck!
Cherilyn

Karen Ellis (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2006 6:48AM GMT
Hi Cherilyn,

Many thanks for the information. It was very kind of you to pass it on. Hopefully it will lead somewhere.

Thanks again, Karen.

Posted: 3 Apr 2006 11:25PM GMT
Hi Karen

I was visiting the state library recently and took the opportunity to look up Archibald's death notices, which reveal quite a bit of information about his descendants.

Death Notices in the West Australian Newspaper, April 28th 1971:

SCALLY (Archie): On April 26th 1971, suddenly at home, loving husband of Sarah, dear father of Flo, Mary, Bett, Agnes and Neil, fond grandfather of fifteen, great-grandfather of seventeen; in his 87th year. Sleeping peacefully.

SCALLY (Archie): At home, April 26, beloved father of Neil, fond father-in-law of Lila, devoted pop of Lorraine (Mrs R Hazeldean), Geoffrey (dec'd) and Shane, poppie of Jamie. Fathers in the world are many, To us he was the best of any.

SCALLY (Archie): Suddenly, April 26, dearly beloved father of Betty, father-in-law of Dick Grigo, loving pop of Janice and Brett Steilow, Carol and Trevor Reeve, and Gary. A link in the chain is broken. So-long pop.

SCALLY (Archie): Suddenly, April 26 1971, dear father of Mary, Agnes and families, USA. Lovingly remembered.

SCALLY (Archie): Our pop taken so suddenly, will be sadly missed, especially our shopping day. Goodbye pop. Lorraine, Bob and great-grandson Jamie (Sonny).

SCALLY (Archibald): Fond pop of Jan and Brett. Tribute to a fine gentleman.

SCALLY (Archie): On April 26 1971, dear brother-in-law of Janet and the late Neil Galbraith, loved uncle of Mae, Alex (dec) and Jean. Treasured memories.

SCALLY (Archie): In loving memory of a very old freind; deepest sympathy to Mrs Scally and family in their sad loss. Cambeltown Loch, Mrs A McCaig and family.

From the Index to Register of Deaths in WA (microfiche at Battye library):

Year of registration: 1971
Surname: SCALLY
Given Name(s): Archibald
Father's given name(s): Neil
Mother's given name(s): Flora
Registration district: Perth
Reg No. 1472/71

I hope this is some help to you
Rachel

Karen Ellis (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2006 6:15AM GMT
Hi Rachel,

Thank you so much for the information. It was very kind of you. There is so much there. Now I will just have to find time to read through it and sort out who is who.

Thanks again, Karen.

Posted: 21 Mar 2009 10:15AM GMT
Surnames: scally
Hi Karen, I have only just seen your post and as it is 3 years old you may already have the information you wanted. The Scally's you mention came out to Perth with my grandparents from Campbeltown and they remained friends throughout their lives. If you do want any further info, please let me know as I do know a little bit about them. I know my mother went to a Scally funeral only a few months ago and it was from this particular branch of the family. Also my grandfather's sister Barbara McGougan married one of the Scallys in Campbeltown.

Posted: 21 Mar 2009 1:39PM GMT
Hi bracken56,

I have a little info on this part of the Scally family i.e records of Archibald's and Sarah's deaths and recently I found an obituary for their daughter, Mary who lived in the States but any information would be much appreciated. I had a look on my tree and the Scally you mention who married Barbara McGougan was Andrew McFarlane Scally, who was my first cousin 3x removed. Do you know the name of Barbara's parents so I can enter it on the tree.

Thanks,

Kind regards, Karen.

You can contact me offboard.

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 12:47AM GMT
Surnames: SCALLY
Hi Karen

Do you have marriages and deaths for Flora, Neil, Mary & Agnes? Was there another daughter named Elizabeth (Lizzie)?

Let me know and I will send them to you.

:-)
Cherilyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic