Search for content in message boards

American Volunteer Soldiers

American Volunteer Soldiers

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 1:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm new to this image set. The image I have is different from the keying sample.. Company Muster Roll. Instructions say to key the earliest date -- Oct or May? -- and only key service place on Muster In/Out I guess the service place on this image should not be keyed.
Attachments:

Re: American Volunteer Soldiers

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 2:13PM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2012 2:15PM GMT
Jun 5 1846 is the earliest full date (which has a year) unless there's an earlier one in the comment section or farther down on the card which I can't see.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 2:59PM GMT
Great question! This particular project has many parts to it and can be tricky.

When I first keyed this, I made a "cheat sheet" for examples of cover pages which helped a lot. I also reread the directions many, many times (and still do). Also went to the discussion tab at the top which was a huge help (and still do). It actually explains this project in more simple terms.

Hope this helps you and others. Fun project to key once you understand it!

Answer to your last question--yes, only key service place (and the date associated with that place) on the Muster In/Out card.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 3:29PM GMT
Thank you! I didn't even know that the discussion page was specific to each project. Great help! I made a cheat sheet, too.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 4:04PM GMT
Great to hear!

To clear any confusion with my last answer:

With the Muster-In, Muster-Out Cards: Find the earliest date on the entire card, then choose the location associated with that date if possible. If not, choose the next location on the card.

With Muster Cards: Choose the earliest date on the entire card, DO NOT key any location.

The discussion page explains it much better than me!

It's also helpful to check your keying by going over the card at least once before you move on. It's easy to make an error. Takes some concentration, too.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 6:13PM GMT
I think it would be helpful to see a completed project -- in other words, the big picture instead of the small chunks that's being keyed. Family historians and geneaologists HATE leaving any little tid bits behind -- I think that's mainly my problem with keying only certain (sometimes seemlingly arbitrary) parts of an image full of details.

Hope it doesn't affect my accuracy rating, but I'm going to give it a try.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 7:44PM GMT
A very worthy project (I probably have ancestors buried somewhere in the images), but it does require concentration. I'm going back to Texas!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions