Search for content in message boards

Jessie Flavell (nee Muirhead)

Jessie Flavell (nee Muirhead)

Posted: 6 Feb 2011 9:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been searching for my g-grandmothers burial site for several years. As far as I can tell she died in Toronto about 1890 (family notes indicate about Feb, 4 months after her daughter was born). Since I have tried everything I can think of, here is my new question:

In the year 1889, in Toronto, would a baby be born at home or in a hospital? If in a hospital, would there still be records if the mother died of some kind of complications?
Where would I search for any such records.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Jessie Flavell (nee Muirhead)

Posted: 6 Feb 2011 3:56PM GMT
birth would most likely be at home.
there should be a baptismal record.
toronto telephone directories are at
reference library.bloor & yonge sts.tor.
ask the library where the family lived in
toronto, then search for the church they
may have attended.

Posted: 6 Feb 2011 3:57PM GMT
sorry forgot to give you library reference

answerline@tpl.toronto.on

Posted: 6 Feb 2011 7:40PM GMT
I would guess that even if the baby was born in Hospital that they wouldn't have records back that far, I think the best bet is to try and find her certificate of death and that should provide you with the cause of death. I checked on Ancestry and the family search page for you there isn't one there yet for her. Could the spelling of the last name be spelled differently? I searched the obits using the spelling shown for both names and couldn't find a obit for her. Its possible that there is a obit in the Toronto Telegram which isn't available on line.

Donna

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 10:28PM GMT
Hi: Perhaps you've already gone down this path but here is a suggestion since like Donna, I couldn't find a death registration either:

Because you mentioned the birth of baby in your post, I checked all the births to listed as mother being Jessie Smith Muirhead Flavell circa 1890 because sometimes birth certificates provide specific street addresses. So here is what I found:

Elizabeth Ethel Flavell born 22 Nov 1889 (York County Division of Toronto 046966) address: 272 Markham Street Toronto

George Lewis Flavell born 9 May 1888 (York County Division of Toronto 043411) address: 344 Markham Street Toronto

DEATH: George Lewis Flavell 24 Aug 1888 (York County, Division of Toronto 022870) address: Toronto: doctor: Dr. J. McCullough, religion: Presbyterian

William Henry Flavell born 5 Apr 1886 (York County, Division of Toronto 044657) address: 256 Farley Avenue, Toronto

The most recent address for the family is Markham Street Toronto and their religion was listed as Presbyterian, so I wonder which cemetery would be closest to their home?

While the mother for the above-mentioned children was listed as Jessie Smith Muirhead Flavell, the father was listed as Thomas Flavell, a teamster.

Thomas and Jessie were married 12 Feb 1885 (in Simcoe County Ontario, Division of Dessorontio MS932_51) They were both listed as having been born in York County, but the marriage took place in Simcoe County.

A Thomas Flavell who was born 19 April 1859 to Henry Flavell and Jane Johnston, (and of course I don't know if this is the same Thomas as was married to Jessie Smith Muirhead or not, but if you know his birthdate you might be able to confirm or deny this)died 19 Jan 1925 and was buried in Glencairn Cemetery, Simcoe County, according to his death certificate 029551.

Does the Simcoe County clue from the marriage registration and the possibility that the above-mentioned Thomas Flavell might be the same man who was married to Jessie, open the possibility that Jessie might have been buried in Simcoe County somewhere?

This might be a total red herring but just thought I'd throw it out there. I hope I haven't just confused the issue for you with these suggestions.

Good luck in your search.

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 10:44PM GMT
Hi again -- Just had another thought -- when I was looking at Jessie and Thomas's marriage certificate the first time I didn't pay much attention to his parents' names so I went back in and took another look and sure enough his parents are listed as Henry and Jane Flavell (marriage registration # 010806 Simcoe county, Township of Dessorontio).

Further, wanted to note also that the name Jessie on the marriage registration, I think, has been mis-transcribed by ancestry as Susan. When looking at the original document her name looks to me like Jessie with the "ie" at the end of it being easy to read but the 'J' and the first 'e' could be mistaken for an S and a u. If you can look at the record, what do you think?

All the best in your search.

Posted: 8 Feb 2011 12:49AM GMT
Great detective work 4867175 Markham Street is in the West End of Toronto so the possible Cemeteries would be Parklawn and Prospect, next might be St. James or Toronto Necropolis Cemetery they are in the east end.

One suggestion might be to contact the Mount Pleasant Group cemeteries they have something like nine cemeteries including Toronto Necropolis and Prospect and they can check all with just one search that would help you narrow down your search. She will charge you for a detailed search but just to confirm her burial they charge nothing.

Their web page is: http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/deathoccurred/cemeteries/l...

Donna

Posted: 8 Feb 2011 2:58AM GMT
Hi again: just took a look at the census records for 1881, 1891 and 1901 and have another suggestion:

Thomas Flavell's family (i.e. parents and siblings) appeared to be living in Whitchurch York County in 1881 and his father Henry, if I'm following the correct family, might have passed in 1891 and his death registration was Division of Markham, York County. So here's another suggestion and maybe you've already tried this too but: would it be possible that Jessie is buried with her father-in-law if he might have been the closest relative (both geographically and family ties-wise) to die just a little before her. Have you ever located the site of his grave?

All the best in your search.

P.S. If in your post back, you let us know where you have looked already, then we could focus on other options. For example which cemeteries in Simcoe County and York county have you already ruled out?

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 3:21AM GMT

thank you for your reply. I do have a copy of the birth registration so I know that the family lived at 272 Markham St, which was almost downtown Toronto.
How would I go about finding out which church they may have attended? Would the building/records still exist?

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 3:30AM GMT
I have not been able to find her death registration on Ancestry either. I also ordered the microfilm and browsed through it-nothing. I have tried to look for different spellings when I could. So I think, either her death was never registered or was lost somehow.

I have checked all the cemeteries you suggested and been in touch with Mt Pleasant group several times.

Interestingly enough, I have not been able to find the burial site of her infant son who died seversl years before she did
per page

Find a board about a specific topic