Search for content in message boards

John Samuel Nelson Stokes N.c., son of Rial- grandson of Joshua

John Samuel Nelson Stokes N.c., son of Rial- grandson of Joshua

Posted: 29 Oct 2003 6:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for John Samuel Nelson son of Rial and grandson of Joshua,born 1830 died 1863 in Civil war. Listed in 1850 in Rial's household . Rial also found in the 1820 N.C.census in Stokes Co. and 1850-1870 census in Stokes. Can't locate in any census in 1830-1840,to find where John was born. Other children of Rial are Jonas Hastens, Rial A. Jr.,Sally, Seppy Ann,Nancy,Kitty, Mary, Martha A.,and Marthaann P..

Re: John Samuel Nelson Stokes N.c., son of Rial- grandson of Joshua

Posted: 30 Oct 2003 7:55PM GMT
Edited: 26 Nov 2004 1:23PM GMT
I'm interested in your Nelson family of Stokes County NC because my own gggg-grandmother was Sarah Nelson, born 1808 NC. We do not know her parentage. She married John Cox about 1829 (possibly in middle Tennessee) and they raised six children in southwestern Arkansas. This extended family has many additional ties to Stokes County NC, as well as neighboring Surry, Rowan, Guilford, Wake, etc counties. Could you please tell me more about your Nelsons so I can potentially make a more definite connection? Thanks.

Posted: 31 Oct 2003 4:49AM GMT
Cathy, My John was in Stokes Co.in 1850 and single at the time of census taking ,but; he married Julia( Sheton) Shelton of Rowan Co. in late 1850 or early 1851. They had a son born William Nelson Aug.1851. One research record says he was born in Rowan Co. but LDS research says it was Stokes Co. The only John Nelson in Stokes Co. that fits from all I' ve been told is John Samuel Nelson born to Rial Nelson listed in the 1820,1850-1860 census in Stokes Co.Rial's father is Joshua Nelson . Rial had a daughter named Sarah Ann but they called her Seppy Ann ,she was born in 1835 and married a Jonas Manring from Stokes Co.Rial's father Joshua was born in 1720 and his wife is unknown . His brothers were William born 1747-1752,Green, and Jordan. William is the father of Immanuel, husband of Frances Smith. I have no info on Green or Jordan. Thats about all I can tell you . Hope it helps. Good luck!

Posted: 31 Oct 2003 2:49PM GMT

Posted: 1 Nov 2003 6:27AM GMT
The Sally was the daughter of Rial.

Re: John Samuel Nelson Stokes N.C., son of Rial- grandson of Joshua

Posted: 1 Nov 2003 3:46PM GMT
If the Sally you refer to as the daughter of Rial is the same person as the Sarah Nelson I show, then how is it possible that she could be Rial's daughter when he would have been 95 years old when she was born? Feasible I guess but highly unlikely. There's probably an error in the birthdates somewhere or there's another generation between them, right?

Re: John Samuel Nelson Stokes N.c., ie, Green, Greenville, Granville

Posted: 2 Nov 2003 1:31PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 12:07AM GMT
I think that if you choose to folow-up further, your Green Nelson is also known by Greenville and Granville. I believe you can also verify he moved from Stokes Co. to Boone? County, (W) VA prior to 1840. Several Nelsons made the move approximately the same time, with other families, and some of them became quite prominent in the community. My GGGrandmother was Elvira Jane Nelson, daughter of Greenville-Granville or Greenville-Granville, Jr. I don't have that one figured out yet.

I would like more of your information if you don't mind, can you send me a data file?

Ron

ronaldlcraig@cs.com

Re: John Samuel Nelson Stokes N.C., son of Rial- grandson of Joshua

Posted: 3 Nov 2003 3:12AM GMT
Cathy, Somehow we've gotten our lines crossed. Ok start over.Joshua born 1720 in Ireland died in NC. had four sons who came to N.C..Green born 1746 in Ireland,Joshua born 1748 in Ireland,Jordan born 1750, Ireland and William born 1752 in Ireland. William had Immanuel born 1776 in N.C. Immanuel's son was Greenville born 1802 in N.C.partially named after his great uncle. Joshua 1748 had Rial in 1800 and Rial had Sarah Ann (Seppy Ann) in 1835 and John Samuel was born in 1829 or 1830. John Samuel is the one I am researching as the very possible g.g. grandfather of mine. This is what I have so far on my Nelsons.

Re: John Samuel Nelson Stokes N.c., ie, Green, Greenville, Granville

Posted: 3 Nov 2003 3:18AM GMT
Joshua born 1720 in Ireland died in NC. had four sons who came to N.C..Green born 1746 in Ireland,Joshua born 1748 in Ireland,Jordan born 1750, Ireland and William born 1752 in Ireland. William had Immanuel born 1776 in N.C. Immanuel's son was Greenville born 1802 in N.C.partially named after his great uncle. Joshua 1748 had Rial in 1800 and Rial had Sarah Ann (Seppy Ann) in 1835 and John Samuel was born in 1829 or 1830. John Samuel is the one I am researching as the very possible g.g. grandfather of mine. This is what I have so far on my Nelsons.

Re: John Samuel Nelson Stokes N.C.

Posted: 3 Nov 2003 11:37PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 12:07AM GMT
You have it together, obviously. I will review this and search for the documentation.

Thank you,

Ron
per page

Find a board about a specific topic