Search for content in message boards

Murphy's and Shea's in Skibbereen

Murphy's and Shea's in Skibbereen

Irene Horner (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murphy, Shea, Collins
I am looking for information about my greatgrand fathers family. Peter Murphy b. in 1858 in Drishanebeg a district outside Skibbereen. Peters parents were Jeremiah Murphy and Catherine Shea. Listed on Peter's baptismal record as his sponsors were Jeremiah Collins and Mary Shea. Peter had one brother Patrick who stayed at the farm in Drishanebeg. Peter immigrated in 1882 to Philadelphia. I have been told that he immigrated with four brothers but I have had no luck finding them. I have found one of his sisters Catherine living in Philadelphia in 1890. I believe the Murphys were related to the Collins family. I have found a baby named Jeremiah Collins buried in the Murphy family plot in Philadelphia. I would be greatful for any help. Thank you.

Drishanebeg

Posted: 13 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2001 2:09AM GMT
Surnames: Holland, Driscoll, Collins
I am researching folks in Drishanebeg and Drishanemore-HOLLAND, COLLINS and DRISCOLL.Yesterday, I found the Tithes ca 1820-1830 and there were three MURPHY's listed-Jeremiah, Denis and Timothy. Also listed were a Thomas and Timothy COLLINS. No SHEA, though.The Griffith's Valuation shows a Timothy and Maurice MURPHY and a Jeremiah and Thomas COLLINS. Again, no SHEAs are listed.

The Griffiths Valuation does show SHEAs in Drishanemore (Jeremiah, Denis and Thomas) and a Denis MURPHY. I don't know how far Drishanebeg is from Drishanemore, but my Driscolls were in Drishanemore after the Tithes, so maybe it's fairly close.

Patrick Murphy

Mike Murphy (View posts)
Posted: 17 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hello,

This may be of some use and I may be able to find additional information at a later date.

My Grandfather was Patrick Murphy and born on St Patrick's Day around 1875 in Skibbereen, ( actual year uncertain)He ran away from home when he was about 12 years of age and made his way to the U.K.He eventually settled in South Wales working all his life in the coal mines and died in 1963 aged about 86-87. I remember he always told me that all his family had emmigrated to America and had never been in touch with any of them after he had left home and neither did he ever return to Ireland.

Is this of any use?

Re: Murphy's and Shea's in Skibbereen

Posted: 14 May 2012 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy
Hello I was very interested in your post as I have just found the Cork Tithe Defaulters For 1831, and have found my ancestor Peter Murphy born in Drishanbeg in 1814.
It therefore looks as if my Peter was born some 44 years before your ancestor Peter. Perhaps he was your Peter's uncle.
The Murphys there in 1831 were Peter Murphy, Darby Murphy Senior,
Darby Murphy Junior and Timothy Muphy. Do you have any further information about these people?
Peter Murphy, a cooper, emigrated to London with his wife Ann Mahoney, by 1838. She came from Inih Land, near Drishanbeg. On the 1841 census of London, they describe their origins as Cork, Inland Brith. I have been searching for this, and have at last identified it.
Could you tell me where you found your Peter's baptism records.
Do you know anything more about the farm in Drishanbeg? Peter and Ann are my x3 gt grandparents.
Thanks
Sarah

Posted: 15 May 2012 6:30AM GMT
Hi,

See Peter's siblings and baptism details on http://www.bmdnotices.com/in-memoriam/viewremembrance.aspx?r...
Hope that helps and of course you can add more

Cheers
Frank

Posted: 15 May 2012 7:05AM GMT

Posted: 22 Jul 2013 5:33PM GMT
Sarah, loved the info on Drishane.

You might be interested in my new post "Murphy Ancestors from County Cork, Working as Coopers in London".

Best wishes.

Paul

Re: Patrick Murphy

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 2:10PM GMT
Hi, Mike, hope you're still active on the boards!

Just wondering if there was any suggestion Patrick Murphy's family included any Coopers (as an occupation).

It would anyway be fun to track his whereabouts in England/Wales - could you help me identify him please?

best wishes.

Paul.

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 5:49PM GMT
Hi, Sarah, you don't say what you found out about "Inland Brith" or "Inih Land". Are these a reference to Inishbeg Island, by any chance? That would be quite a way from Drishanebeg (nearly 4 miles). And even further from Castlehaven Parish.

The Irish Times has a fascinating section of Top 10 surnames in each parish for 1851-1853. Limiting the area to West Cork, Murphy comes in the top 10 in a whole swathe of the northern part - and at No.1 in 11 parishes!!!

Curiously, Murphy does not figure at all in the Top 10 anywhere along the south coast WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CASTLEHAVEN where it comes in at No.6.

Wouldn't it be lovely to discover just what brought them down there?

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 10:57PM GMT
Edited: 11 Aug 2013 11:38AM GMT
A bit more context:

Using Irish Times data for 1851-53, the 3 Districts just south of Skibbereen contained the most Murphy households in that part of the south coast: Creagh 12, Abbeystrowry 8, Castlehaven 20 (total 40 households).

Making a crude allowance for The Slaughter and emigration, there would have been perhaps 60 or more Murphy households in that area in the 1820s and 1830s.

My guess is that, besides the 3 Drishanes, many of the other 120-ish townlands and streets would have been home to Murphys during those years.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions