ROBERT SANDERSON & MARGRET (1850,1852)
their children;
THOMAS R. 1877
SARAH JANE 1879
MARGRAT A. 1880
HANAK E. 1882
WILLIAM GEORGE 1884
most especially want to find children of;
WILLIAM GEORGE SANDERSON 1884 who married LUCY MERRITT of England 1920 - he died 1930 so she may have also re-married after then, did they have children?
all of these people are of Ontario, Peterborough so all the births marriages and deaths would be there I hope:-) thank you so much - would like to find out when robert and margret came over and any more on them too...
stephanie

Re: SANDERSON'S of Canada

Posted: 6 Sep 2006 2:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Nov 2006 10:04PM GMT
Not sure if this is any help but this death notice appeared in the Perth 'Courier'.

5 June 1903
W A Sanderson, jeweler, Peterboro, went out to Stony Lake in his canoe and is probably drowned

Posted: 6 Sep 2006 2:03PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2006 10:04PM GMT
Not sure if this is any help but this death notice appeared in the Perth 'Courier'.

5 June 1903
W A Sanderson, jeweler, Peterboro, went out to Stony Lake in his canoe and is probably drowned

Diane Shaw (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2006 4:51AM GMT
1881 census Cavan Durham East Ontario

SANDERSON,
Robert, 30, b Ireland, farmer,
Margret, 28, b IReland
Lizzy, 11, b Ireland
Thomas K, 6, b Ont
Sarah Jane, 3, b Ont
Margret Anne, 1, b Ont
Baby, b March 1, b Ont

On 1901 census which usually gives immigration dates, it says both born Ontario. Also says both are Scotch.
1901 census Monaghan Peterborough West

SANDERSON,
Robert, 2 Jan 1850, Ontario
Margret, 10 Jul 1852, Ont
Thomas R, 28 Nov 1877,
Sarah Jane, Dec 13 1878,
Margrat A, 19 Aug 1880
Hanah E, 7 Mar 1882,
William G A , 29 Mar 1884

1911 North Monaghan

Thomas Robert is still with them and an Ellen b March 1884.
This census says both Robert & margaret born Ireland, immigrated 1870.

1901 and 1911 census on www.automatedgenealogy.com
1881 census on www.familysearch.org

From Ancestry.ca
William George Sanderson, 34, bachelor,signwriter, b Peterboro, parents: Robert Sanderson & Margaret Lindsay, married Lucy Merritt, 25, spinster, b Earlsfield SW London England, parents: Henry Merritt & Ellen Hall? witn: Margaret & Ambrose LeSarge of 354 Yonge St, Toronto. 11 Oct 1920 at Toronto. It says that she is living at 556 Garrett Lane, London England and he is living 6 University Ave Toronto.
Bridegroom's father born: Baillieboro Cavan County Ireland.
It gives Lucy's occupatin as War Department. I think they mean she was a war bride.

William George Sanderson was in WW1 and that is likely where he met Lucy Merritt
His Attestation papers say:
Sanderson, William George
Address: Winnipeg General Delivery,
Born: Peterboro Ontario
Next of kin: father, Robert Sanderson of Peterborough Ont
Born: 29 Mar 1884
Previous Military : 141st Batt Port Arthur Ontario 1916
Disability? Not up to infantry standard. He was rejected sometime before this date.
May 16 1917 at Winnipeg

He was 5' 5" tall, blue eyes, fair hair. No distinguishing marks but there is a capital D in the place for distincitve marks, scars, etc.
His next set of attestation papers say essentially the same except his mother is given as next of kin and the paper is stamped "Medically Unfit" and his address is The Exchange Hotel, Winnipeg. The back of the paper says is is fit for overseas expedition, dated Apr 1 1917 at Winnipeg.

And yet another one--
Address is given as Fort Francis (Ont) mother:Margaret Sanderson of Peterborough is next of kin, birthdate the same, still a cook, previous military experience: Bridge Guard Fort Francis Ontario. 13 Jan 1916 at Fort Francis. And again he is considered fit.
He must have made it overseas.
http://data2.archives.ca/cef

If he was considered unfit and unsuitable for infantry, I wonder what was the matter with him. No more info given but you can have a look on the above address.

From Ancestry.ca
Death:
Robert Sanderson, 72, b Ireland, l Jan 1850, farmer, father: James Sanderson, mother: Jane Lindsay both b Ireland, Informant: Bert Sanderson of RR 3 Peterborough, son, burial: Little Lake Cemetery, l Nov 1922. died of cerebral haemorrhage.

Birth:
Ellen Sanderson, b 14 Mar 1881 ( not 1884 as stated on 1911 census, parents: Robert Sanderson & Margaret Lindsay, North Monaghan, Peterboro.

There are 2 birth registrations for Sarah Jane, one for 12 Dec 1877 and one for 19 Dec 1878. After having looked at both films the first one is right. The second one was registered May 1878 so she couldn't have been born Dec 1878.
Is Ellen b 1881, Hanah E?

I am going to send this now but will look up marriages for Robert's children later on. I have not found anything re William George and Lucy except their marriage. Maybe she went back to England after he died?

Diane Shaw (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2006 5:52AM GMT
From Ancestry.ca

Lizzie Sanderson, 25, living N Monaghan, b Ireland, parents: Robt Sanderson & Margaret Lindsay, married John Wesley LeBar, 25, living Peterboro, b Brooklin Ont, harnessmaker, parents: Catherine Martin & Asa LeBar, 15 Jun 1898, Peterborough

Birth:
Greeta (Gerta?)Viola LeBar, 10 May 1899, John LeBar & Lizzie Sanderson, Peterborough County

1911 census City of Peterborough

LEBAR
John, head, Oct , no year, 36, b Ont
Elizabeth, wife, Mar, no year,36, b Ireland
Greta, dau, May, 12, b Ont

1901 census Peterborough
LEBAR
John W, head, 13 Oct 1872, 28
Lizzie,wife, 9 Mar 1873, 28, b Ireland, immigrated 1873
Greeta,dau, 10 May 1899, 1

That is about all I can find out on the Sandersons. There was nothing on the Peterborough site.

Posted: 21 May 2007 3:16PM GMT
Surnames: SANDERSON /MERRITT
I HAVE THE AM THE DAUGHTER OF WILLIAM SANDERSON AND LUCY MERRITT. I HAVE INFORMATION YOU NEED

Posted: 21 May 2007 3:37PM GMT
hello again
tried to email you direct but it bounced back! not sure why... email me direct on Voyagersteff64@aol.com
steff

Posted: 22 May 2007 12:22PM GMT
Surnames: Sanderson, Wasson and Dixon
I saw what was put about a death in the Perth Courier. W. A Sanderson who was a jeweller. The W does stand for William. He married Alice Wasson in 1885. THey had 4 daughters who were Violet Hazel, Alice Lenore, Genevieve and Isabel Margarite Sanderson. William A Sanderson was the s/o Alexander Sanderson(abt 1823-1854) and Nancy Agnes Dixon (abt 1830-?). Thought you might like to know.

Posted: 22 May 2007 12:36PM GMT
Thanks. No relation.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions