Search for content in message boards

Barr colonists - Earwaker

Barr colonists - Earwaker

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 2:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for my great-grand uncle, Charles Earwaker, who left England in 1903 with his wife, Ada and 3 kids: Norah G, Ada Lily and William E.

I know they arrived on the SS Lake Manitoba ship and they were at the Barr Colony in Lloydminster, however their paper trail ends just after 1907.

We are not sure if they went to live in Edmonton or if they left Canada and went to the USA, specifically California.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Barr colonists - Earwaker

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 5:59AM GMT
Surnames: EARWAKER
Hi,
CENSUS"
The family does not appear at the Automated Genealogy 1911 Census - site - All Canada.
Unless the name was mistranscribed.
There are other EARWAKER in 1911, 1906,1901
Don't have access to 1916 Census.

U.S.A. Census:
Have you searched for the Family in the U.S. Census.
Have You searched Border Crossing Records to U.S.A.?
Perhaps Letter of Intent - Citizenship?
Can be obtained from the State Archive where application was made - or National Archive at Washington DC.

Searched ALBERTA GENWEB LOCAL HISTORY BOOKS site
The family name EARWAKER does not appear.

SASKATCHEWAN VITAL STATISTICS
Searched Sask. Birth/ Death. online
Beatrice Eva EARWAKER born Sept 13 1904 Battleford Sask
Parents: Lottie SPURGOR - Charles William EARWAKER
Registration can be ordered online

PROVINCIAL ARCHIVE OF BC
Searched Provincial Archive of BC Vital Events Index
with 0 results.

Provincial Archive of B.C. Vital Events Index: Online
Marriage 1859-1934 Birth 1872-1903 Death - 1872 -1989
Lists 6 EARWAKER deaths -perhaps some family connected.
Filmed Registration can be viewed at No Cost - at the Provincial Archive in Victoria BC. some Public or University Libraries in the Province.
Information can be transcribed - Photo copies.50 cents or less -depending on copy machine.
Vital Stat site also offers copies - at a much higher cost - for the same information.

SOLDIERS of WW1
Searched National Archive of Canada - Soldiers of WW1
There are 3 EARWAKER

HOMESTEAD RECORDS
Searched: National Archive of Canada. Western Land Grant
There are 6 EARWAKER grants.inclued 1 Charles.
Homestead records are available from the Provincial Archive where application was made.

U.S.SOCIAL SECURITY Index:
Searched U.S.Social Security Index:
http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi
for EARWAKER:
Files can be ordered from an online site.

There are 20 names listed.
Includes Charkes EARWAKER
b April 19 1873 dcd February 1973
Topaz, Mono. California.

Ada EARWAKER:
B. April 21 1893 - dcd January 8 1000 -Washington State.

OBITUARY DAILY TIMES:
Searched: Obituary Daily Times - for EARWAKER
EARWAKER, Ada; 106;
Walkerton ON>Vancouver BC;
Vanc Sun; 2000-1-28; mumtaz

OBITUARY can be viewed at the Vancouver Public Library main branch - as well Provincial Archive in Victoria BC
Information can be transcribed - copied. *perhaps other locations as well.

Volunteers at Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness BritishColumbia - some may offer search for Obituary.

Death Registration - WAshington Vital Statistics - site can be found online.
Washington State GenWEb
http://www.wagenweb.org/
California GenWeb
http://www.cagenweb.com/
Mono California GenWeb
http://www.cagenweb.com/
Hope this has been of some help - with your research
Cheers, Stella

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 6:01AM GMT
Error in Ada's death - should be 2000 rather than 1000 - the cat is helping - I am working around him
cheers, Stella

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 5:41PM GMT
Surnames: Earwaker
According to homestead records, Charles was in Townsip 49, Range 25, West of the 3RD Meredian. That's straight east of Lloydminster and North of Waseca - Maidstone. There was also a George in R.M. of Greenfield, his wife, Anna, died age 41 in 1923. Not much in the history book site, but you can search. http://www.ourroots.ca/e/ I also checked Sask. cemeteries http"//www.rootsweb.com/~cansacem/index.html There are helpful links at the top of the opening page. Butch

Re: Barr colonists - Earwaker - ADA EARWALKER

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 6:55AM GMT
Surnames: EARWALKER
Obit -
Vancouver Sun. January 28 2000 - Page B6.

EARWALKER, Ada
Born in Walkerton Ontario - April 21 1893.
Passed away peacefully in the early hours of January 8 2000,at the age of 106 years.
Ada will be missed by her many nieces and nephews and cousins in Canada and the U.S.A.
Whoever met Ada fondly remembers her.

Cheers, Stella

Posted: 20 Aug 2010 6:53AM GMT
Just starting to look into family history.
However Charles Earwaker is my great grandfather B 19/4/1873 married ti ADA Orphin B 1973 in London. My grandmother was Ivy Beatrix B 30.09.1904 Old Battleford Saskat. Charles D 20.0.1973 in Bridgeport California

Posted: 25 Aug 2010 5:29AM GMT
Thanks for that information, it seems that we are connected. I tried for several years to find out why Charles and his family seemed to disappear from Canada. There was a fire and he got burned just after Ivy was born (I wasn't aware of her existence until quite recently).

Charles was quite a pioneer to have sailed away from his family in 1903. He was actually the only surviving triplet, and had siblings that were twins. His sister, my great-grandmother Rose had 2 sets of twins herself.

I have a photo of Charles wife Ada standing next to Rose. Do you have any photos of Charles or his children?

What brought them to California? From what I understand, the colony they were supposed to live in had some problems.

Posted: 13 Oct 2010 9:55PM GMT
I was able to find out some more information about Ivy's brother William and his family. If you don't have it already, I would be happy to share what I have found.

Posted: 16 Oct 2010 4:43PM GMT
Charles moved from Saskatoon out to the land alloted to them, built a sod hut and lived there.The house cat knocked over an coal oil lamp could this be the fire you spoke of?
Charles was a bridge builder with Northern Alberta Railways, was retired at 70 without a pension.
He moved with his daughter ADA to Vancouver, without his wife who did not want to go and did not mind if her husband left.
In the second world war Charles lied about his age and was able to get a job in the shipyards.After the war he was again out of work and His son Bill, urged him to move to eastern california and live with him, which he did. Eventually he needed around the clock care and moved into a nursing home where he died just before reaching his 100th birthday.
hope this is helpful, managed to get the information from my dad's cousin in Canada.
Can you give me more details on Charles sister, parents etc. particularly his mother and her family?

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 7:07PM GMT
Here is some of what I have discovered through research efforts and comparing stories from my mum about Charles Earwaker and some from distant relatives.

Father: Theophilus Earwaker 1842 – 1906, Mother: Eliza Hunter 1840 - 1915

Theophilus father: William Earwaker b 1802-1869, mother Ann Bricknell 1816-1848 (7 children)

William Earwaker father: George Earwaker 1766-1841, mother Charlotte 1776-1854 (13 children)

Children of Theophilus and Eliza:
Sarah 1863 (have not found much information on her)
Amy 1865 – 1954

Emily Sophia 1868 married Albert Channer

Annie Isabella born 10/25/1870 –(Triplet) married George Edward Oliver in 1891
Note: their son Charles married the daughter of Rose and when they divorced, the Annie and Rose did not speak to each other for years)

Mary 1870-1870 (Triplet)
William 1870 - 1870(Triplet)

Charles William 1873 – 1973 married Ada Orphin b 1974

Rose 1876 – 1937 (my great-grandmother)
Her daughter Emily May married her sister Annie’s son. They did have 1 daughter. Emily died from tuberculosis just after WW2.

This is the only known photo of my great-grandmother Rose and her sister-in-law Ada, taken around 1920
http://www.earwaker.co.uk/ada.jpg
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions